New to boards

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

New to boards

Postby ilovelucy54 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:38 am

Hi I am 51 and new to the boards, but not to Minnie Pauz. I think I have had peri-menopause symtoms for about 5 years, but recently things are getting worse! I still get a period, and the worse PMS ever. My breasts hurt all month, but before my period it is really bad. I feel tired most of the time-this really worries me! I feel it's physical and mental tiredness. I workout but it's not helping! Anyone else have this? I am also trying to lose the 40 lbs I gained since i was 45.

Thanks for listening!
ilovelucy54

probably is JUST the pauz!!!

Postby parts2you » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:47 pm

i would go for a check-up with some routine blood work cuz you just cant be sure. but id be willing to bet its just the pauz!!
i was once again relieved and assured to read the part about you working out and it not helping. im telling you, i have found that in the throes of it,it doesnt seem to matter much what you do and dont do. you just kinda have to go with it. for the symptoms,the weight, all of it.
i will turn 51 this week. my worst symptoms started when i was 45 till about a year ago. and they would always come and go. i have seen a major improvement in the past nine months or so. i still have bad days, or even a week here and there, but overall it has gotten so much better. the weight seems to be coming off some....slowly,with alittle fluctuation but hey its a whole lot better than it was. i was so tired at times in the throes of it i could hardly lift a coffee cup. stiffness,achiness, dizziness, some type of "attack" that was hard to explain but scared me to death.............i havent had a period for four months now, and am curious to see what happens because four months was the longest i went before,till i got it again.(that happened about nine months ago)
so get a check up just to be sure, and hang in there. hopefully it gets better and stays better!!
parts2you
One HOT Woman!

Postby drjudy » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:57 pm

Sore breasts and terminal PMS sounds like the high-estrogen phase of perimenopause which I think is the worst part. As parts2you notes, things often do get better as your hormonal levels even out, or rather bottom out! The weight gain and fatigue, however, make me concerned that you are getting into some prediabetic troubles.

I think a panel of blood tests is a great idea, particularly checking out your fasting blood sugar level (ideal below 100), HDL-cholesterol (ideal above 60), and triglycerides (ideal below 150). Please don't give up on the work-outs--they are truly making a difference even if you're not seeing it on your scale read-out.

Let us know how your check-up goes!

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause