Postmenopause.........

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Postmenopause.........

Postby wanna be » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:48 am

What do I have to look forward to? After the worst 12 years of my life physically and emotionally, when does this get better. I have done this naturally without hormone replacement. (Don't want to go that route.) Will hormones be in balance when all of this is over? I am 53 years old and have had 2 periods in the last 2 years. Have had all 35 symptoms and put on 30 pounds, which aside from the depression and anxiety has bothered me the most. Oh, and I forgot, the bloating.......big time! Have I been living in a fairy tale all of these years thinking I'm going to adjust on my own, or do you have to take hormones to make all of this go way?
After all of this has blown over, will I have a shot at losing this weight? The weight and bloating really bother me. Sure this contributes to self-esteem issues with my physical appearance. I'm short, and was always slim...not any more! Will I carry the symptoms for the rest of my life if I choose not to use hrt, etc? I know that going thru puberty I chubbed out and then slimmed down. Is this this the same kinda thing ? :(
wanna be

Postby drjudy » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:26 pm

Dear Wannabe,

Coming to the phase of low estrogen without further roller coaster fluctuations does tend to even out symptoms, and many they go away altogether. HOWEVER--some women continue to feel depression, anxiety, a lack of energy, body aches, and other joy-robbing types of symptoms.

The studies that have made headline news in the last 3 years were done on women whose average age was 63, and these women were specifically selected for the study because they did not have notable menopausal symptoms. Comparing those of us in our 50's struggling with the downside of no estrogen with this population makes no sense at all.

You are still in a decade of life when HRT has proven to be quite safe. If you cared to check out life on hormones, you and your doctor could discuss a low-dose trial of estrogen so that you would know how much better that strategy could make you feel. Twelve years is a long time to feel lousy, and the prospect of a lifetime of feeling less than your best is very discouraging.

Whatever you choose, please don't forego exercise, even when you're tired and anxious and feeling a loss of self-esteem about the way you look. A lot of favorable physiological changes occur with exercise which may balance out some of the unpleasant things you are feeling.

I'm glad you're looking into your options and taking an active role in your health.

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby wannabe » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:40 pm

drjudy,

Thanks so much for your response. I have an appointment with my doctor this week, and will ask her about the low dose estrogen. Maybe there is still hope. Guess I just assumed that after 12 years I might be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I don't think I could take another 12! Thanks again............

Wannabe
wannabe
Warm Pauzer

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause