Another period?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Another period?

Postby CathyW » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:49 pm

Just finished a period seven days ago and today I started again? This is the first time this has happened. The night sweats the last 2 dats have been worse than ever so I should have expected something to happen. Is this just another peri thing or should I be concerned?
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby Zero » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:16 am

Yup, Cathy.....sounds like another sign of peri-menopause......irregular periods.

Zero

Postby drjudy » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:50 pm

Perimenopause...never the same place twice. Sounds like you're right on track Cathy by being off track!

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby CathyW » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:02 pm

Thanks Minnie and Dr.Judy

I of course am imagining the worse. Having an ultrasound tomorrow. I am now flowing like a full blown period. How can there be enough of a build up in such a short time? And the cramps are unreal!! I hope your both right and all this abnormal stuff is really normal.

Cathy
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby colopam » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:40 pm

Cathy W
Be sure to let us know how things go.... my prayers are with you!!! Hugs pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby drjudy » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:59 pm

Dear Cathy,

It's not so much new build-up as ongoing bleeding from your uterine lining that never really healed over after the last period. I'm glad you're having an ultrasound just to be sure.

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby CathyW » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:26 pm

Just an update. Got results of ultrasound today. Large fibroids. Not sure what to do. He immediately wanted to schedule a hysterectomy but I need time to think this over and weigh my options. Any advice would be appreciated.
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby Zero » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:41 am

CathyW wrote:Just an update. Got results of ultrasound today. Large fibroids. Not sure what to do. He immediately wanted to schedule a hysterectomy but I need time to think this over and weigh my options. Any advice would be appreciated.

You might want to post in the "Surgical Menopause" too, Cathy, because there are women who have been through what you are up against. I'm sure Dr. Judy will respond too and I personally think you're doing the right thing to think it over and get other opinions. Is there another physician where you could get a second opinion?
Zero

Postby CathyW » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:34 am

There's not really another gyno I could see but I do plan on seeing my regular family physian to talk to her about it. She has been my doctor for years and I value her opinion.I look forward to hearing from Dr. Judy and getting her thoughts on this subject. I will post on the other board. As always thank you!
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby colopam » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:22 am

Cathy W

I had surgery (myomectomy) for fibroids a year ago. Had one removed the size of a softball and one removed the size of a large marble, (he left smaller ones under my hope that there won't be enough estrogen left to stimulate them to get to that point). There was discomfort and a pretty big scar but the recovery was pretty quick. The reason I had a myomectomy was 1) I wanted to keep my uterus and 2) the Dr. needed to know (since mine changed size pretty quickly) what they were made up of (noncancerous thank God).
I did ALOT of research and altho my doc suggested a hysterectomy first off I personally didn't feel this is what was right FOR ME. I got a book called "Fibroids The Complete Guide to Taking Charge of Your Physical, Emotional, and Sexual Well-Being" written by Johanna Skilling, she goes over all the options from living with them to drugs to hysterectomy, myomectomy and UAE (uterine artery embolization) , she even goes over the different methods of doing a hysterectomy. Going in armed with facts and a clearer head helped me thru this process. I initially wanted a UAE but then they wouldn't have tissue to examine and being in a VERY rural part of TN at that time they didn't have the facilities. My Dr. was a bit miffed that I went to that effort but did abide by my decision. Good luck , let us know what happens and by all means go in armed and informed which ever way YOU feel you need to go.
Big Hugs!!!!!
Pam

P.S. Stop and take a breath, I can still remember the shock of the Dr. telling me that we had to do something, and tho there can be worse things but its still YOUR body and it's always a shock.
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby drjudy » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:20 am

Dear Cathy,

Looking back at your first post on this thread, I note that you mention that the extra period this month was the first one of its kind. In other words, the fibroid-related problems are recent and not yet too bothersome. This indicates to me that there is no urgency here in making a decision, and one option would be to see how things unfold in upcoming months.

Pam mentioned that her surgery was rushed because her fibroids grew rapidly, and that would change the decision-making process. If you continue, however, with just some screwy cycles, you and your doctor might feel comfortable just watching the situation. When fibroids become bothersome due to their size (pressing on the bladder, the rectum, or just making your abdomen uncomfortably distended), or when they cause bleeding that comes heavily or frequently, most women report that a hysterectomy frees them from the misery and is a welcome choice. Since you are not in that situation, your doctors may agree that watchful waiting is appropriate.

Good luck,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby Zero » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:11 am

There's also another book published by Time Warner called: WHAT YOUR DOCTOR MAY NOT TELL YOU ABOUT FIBROIDS: New Techniques and therapies--Including Breakthrough Alternatives to Hysterectomy. I have a link to it on my book list, but I'll just post it here for you:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 85-4449755
Zero

Postby CathyW » Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:36 pm

Dr. Judy

Thank you for your reply. Although this last period was the first time that they came so close together I have been having heavy periods for the last couple of years. I was just contributing this to peri. I also have been having severe mentrual cramping. I have posted other topics about abdominal bloating and pressure gassy feeling. My family physcian has been contibuting this to IBS. I have had IBS for years but never to this extent. Now with this knowledge of the large fibroid I'm suspecting that all this has been because of the fibroid. My gyn is telling me I have two options...1-hysterectomy or 2-put up with it. I just find this hard to believe these are my only options. I'm confused and scared. Plan on doing alot of research before deciding on what to do.
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby Zetti » Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:59 pm

I've got one like that going on, it was late which got my hopes up that it was over . . . hah it's the reverse of my misspent youth whenb I celebrated when my period showed up . . .

This one just keeps going and going but very light flow. Just enough to be truly annoying but not debilitating.

Zetti
Zetti
Combustible

Postby colopam » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:28 am

Cathy W
Trust me there's more han just the two options, I put my myomectomy on hold for 3 months until I got all my "facts'" and made a decision wih DH's help, we could feel the one fibroid thru my abdomen and I felt like I had to urinate all the time, cramps and flooding were a common event and I'd definately say it had an effect on my bowels but I'm glad I took the time.
Hugs Pam
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Next

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause