Night Time Anxiety Anyone?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Night Time Anxiety Anyone?

Postby suelmc40 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:23 pm

Lately I've been really anxious at night; just when I'm beginning to "unwind" for the day. My pulse rate is fast and I know my blood pressure has gone up from it's original normal rate...Has anyone else felt this? Just after turning 40 in December (go figure) I ended up in the ER because I thought I was having a heart attack or something...they gave me xanax which I only take when absolutely necessary.

Also, I have this vibrating feeling in my body a lot; like a motor is running inside. Have I totally lost my sanity or are these more peri-menopause symptoms?? :lol:

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Sue
suelmc40

Postby drjudy » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:41 pm

Hi Sue,

You have certainly not lost your sanity. Perimenopause is a phase associated with a higher incidence of anxiety and panic attacks. Whether or not your night-time anxiety, racing pulse, and feelings of vibration are part of perimenopause or not, they certainly sound like show-stopping symptoms that you should discuss with your doctor.

You should be checked for any associated medical conditions such as thyroid. Most importantly, you and your doctor may come up with some solutions to make your days--and nights--more comfortable.

Best wishes,
Judy
Last edited by drjudy on Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Thank you Judy!

Postby suelmc40 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:58 pm

Thanks for the reply, Dr. Judy! Glad to know I'm not crazy! :D I have discussed this with my doctor for quite some time; even had my thyroid checked. My thyroid was fine (although "tough" according to their expert on thyroids) and they even put me on the lowest dosage of thyroid medication, just to be sure, which made my anxiety worse--so I stopped taking it (it wasn't affecting the thyroid at all) and it helped tremendously--for awhile.

But my doctor seems to completely ignore the entire "menopause" conversation. She thinks I'm too young. She sent me to another doctor because she felt "helpless" about the anxiety, and that doctor wanted to start me on anti-depressants, to which I said "no way". I won't get started on those.

Anyway, it's so hard to get refills on xanax because of their "addictive" history. I've never been an addicitive person, or a real "pill-popper", so I feel frustrated that I am given the 3rd degree when going in for a refill. My biggest concern is my blood pressure. I've never, ever had high blood pressure. The last time I was at the doctor (albeit, I was very stressed out because of my job) it was 140/100. It scared the living daylights out of me! Guess what happened--More anxiety followed! :lol: I won't even take my blood pressure anymore (I have a monitor at home) because it just stresses me out if it's high! Talk about a no-win situation! :(

I guess I just need to relax about the symptoms, recognize them for what they are and start eating better and exercising a lot. Maybe that will help! Thanks again for your reply. I love this website and these forums! So helpful! Have a great week!

Sue
suelmc40

Postby drjudy » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:54 pm

Hi Sue,

I think doctors tend to undertreat anxiety when in fact patients report, when asked, that anxiety interferes more with quality of life than a diagnosis of cancer! Medications like Xanax can be so helpful but they are underused due to fear of habituation or misused.

Since you struggle with blood pressure right now as well as anxiety, you might consider talking with your doctor about a prescription for 'beta-blockers.' This class of medication works well for blood pressure elevations, but also works well for anxiety as it blocks some of the adrenalin messages that the brain interprets as bodily danger. They are prescribed for stage fright or performance anxiety as they block the pounding heart/sweaty palms/clenched stomach that goes with getting up in front of a crowd, going to work at a stressful job, or just thinking about high blood pressure.

Maybe the menopause conversations here on the forum will help you identify what is going on for you in a way that you can communicate to your physicians.

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby Zetti » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:13 pm

Yup. I get that wired feeling at nite as well. Not every nite, but enough to be bothersome.

I found an herbal product, they carry it in health food stores and at Rite Aid, it's called *Calms Forte*, it works incredibly well for me if I wake up w/that motor running, I take it and w/in 30 mins or so I feel much more relaxed.

Zetti
Zetti
Combustible

Postby Zero » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:14 am

Zetti......could you tell us what the main ingredient is in "Calms Forte"? And how long have you been taking it?
Zero

Postby Zetti » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:06 pm

It has a kazillion ingredients, made by Hylands. Here is a link to a site that lists the ingredients that is actually readable, the print on the bottle is too small.

http://www.hmedicine.com/shopping/product/1314

I've been taking it for about 2 yrs as needed.

Zetti
Zetti
Combustible

did i write that?????????????????????????

Postby parts2you » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:11 pm

sue, i could have written that...almost word for word! sure is scary,isnt it? these sweet little attacks started when i was 45----my first one was the worst....and very hard to describe. i was laying down watching tv...and all of a sudden my heart started racing and pounding,i felt weak,i felt a warm sensation in my pelvic area to the point i thought i was bleeding, my leg started jumping...it was the most horrible thing i have ever experienced.i really truly thought i was having a stroke or something and dying. how i made it to the phone,i will never know. by the time the ambulance got here, it had subsided some but at the hospital i was told the same thing--anxiety attack. and given xanax. after a shot of some kind of tranquilizer that hurt like hell!! that first time,i also thought later maybe it was due to the hemorhoid surgery i had had just two days earlier. but all the docs said no. it happened again, a month or so later,and i was just like you with the xanax. i hated to be without it, yet it was hard to get refills on it. especially without incurring additional doctor visit bills. the stress of worrying that it would happen again, and when....just made it all worse!! i also, for the first time in my life experienced some times with high blood pressure when mine had always been on the low side. i would say by about the fourth attack.....and after tests that came back negative for all kinds of things, including seizures.....and seeing a shrink a few times!(who also said it WAS NOT ANXIETY!) I learned to relax and go with it. if i could i would go outside and let the air hit me, if i was too bad to move, i just laid it out. i would say i had about seven or eight of these attacks over a five year period. the first few were the worst. i was paranoid as could be for a very long time,afraid they would happen when i was driving or something. only one happened at work, the rest were at home. i am 51 now, and havent had one for over a year.
i also, at other times would be falling asleep,and all of a sudden feel/hear this feeling in my head that reminded me of something like a wire shorting out. this has not happened anymore in the last couple of years.
all this was sooooooooo hard for me. especially since i didnt know about this site then!!!
i still do occasionally worry that these things could happen again, but at least now i know i can live thru it!! and other people have had similar. rest assured that you are NOT CRAZY, NOT ALONE, and it does seem to get better.
parts2you
One HOT Woman!

Postby suelmc40 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:32 am

Parts2you,
Wow, it was so good to hear that someone else has gone through all of this! And I have also had those electrical, short circuit feelings/sounds in my head! I am SO glad you said that!

Thanks for letting me know that I'm not crazy.

Right now I'm under stress for a valid reason...one of our dogs is very ill. He had to have his spleen removed due to tumors and it doesn't look good. Our dogs are like our children and we are heartsick. I have never felt such apprehension. We won't know the results until Friday if the tumors were malignant, but it sounds pretty much like they will be.

Anyway, thanks again for writing and letting me know that others have gone through this same anxiety. I wish life weren't so hard sometimes! Or maybe some of us just make it that way... I don't know anymore! :?

I'm glad you have not had a panic attack for so long. It took almost 23 years for me to have another one after 4 years of high school having them. Maybe I can go another 23 years! ha ha

Have a good rest of your week!
Sue
suelmc40

Postby Zero » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:19 am

Sue, I'll be praying for your precious pet! All the best to all of you!
Zero

Postby JJ » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:46 am

Hi Sue,
I understand completely about the anxiety. I feel very nervous when I have palpitations, but I just try to ride it out. After having a battery of tests, I was put on a beta blocker. I still get that fluttery feeling in my chest. And night sweats!! :oops:

I'm trying to find a doctor who will prescribe bioidentical hormones, if I need them. Right now, I take evening primrose oil, and I've found it helps with the horrible headaches. I also take calcium and magnesium and Vitamin C. There is so much to learn, but this site is a life saver! :lol:

Have a super day!
Janice
JJ

Anxiety Spells

Postby lynie pause » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:04 am

So many out there with "THAT TRYING ANXIETY"! :cry: I know it's dreadful I get it from time to time I have troubles with winding down for bed. In the mornings is when I have it the most, the anxiety hits and my mind just runs on full throttle thinking, worrying,spells or paranoia and bad weirdo dreams. I like to just slow myself down and think of something nice, "Happy Place" or listen to music to settle me that seems to help. Or the thoughts that rush my mind I think how I can make them better or if I can change them....If I think I cannot then I try to stop worrying about them. When all else fails I pray....that helps...I wish you well.

WHEN YOUR THOUGHTS WANTS TO RUN....TEACH THEM TO WALK..... :D

LYNIE.....
lynie pause
Combustible

Thank you everyone! And...cramping a symptom?

Postby suelmc40 » Sat May 07, 2005 2:45 am

First of all, I'm so sorry I haven't replied to all of your wonderful entries and words of kindness! And Dee, I am happy to say that our dog DID survive and will live out his normal life now. Whew! That was an ugly week. Thank you for your kind words of support on that!

I quit my job and am now working with my husband at home with our own business and even though the stress is different, it's still there. My old job had me so anxious every night I thought I was going to die of a heart attack for sure. Now I am so stressed about money that my chest is tight and I'm feeling crappy--I don't know if this is a part of the perimenopause or not, but I feel like an emotional wreck.

I still get the hot flashes but I haven't had any nightsweats for awhile now, which is nice. What I HAVE noticed is a continuous cramping in my very lower abdomen and wonder if anyone else has this symptom? I'm wondering if I should be worried and go get a pap smear, or if this is all part of the wonderful change of life. It's a different type of cramping-and hard to explain, but it's almost always there. And I have these "flutters" in my body that are driving me crazy...not just in my chest but everywhere...why is it that none of these symptoms are easy to explain and make me sound crazy? :oops:

Hope all you mothers out there have a wonderful Mother's Day weekend!

Sue
suelmc40

Postby Zero » Sat May 07, 2005 9:35 am

What kind of business do you and your husband have? I understand about the stress still being there, but being different. It's GOT to be better though, to be working for yourself instead of someone else. There's a trade off though when you have to give up the benefits and regular paycheck. At least when you're sacrificing, you're doing it on your own terms! :)

It really sounds like you're going through a more tumultuous time with your hormones than some of us and the key is for you to understand that it's all pretty normal and that you're not going crazy. If you can get a physical and talk to your healthcare provider about what you're experiencing, that should clear up whether there's anything out of the ordinary going on with your health. If it's all clear, then you need to do some research and some experimentation on what might help with your most bothersome symptoms. Realizing that there won't be one singular answer and nothing that will magically take away all these feelings, will help more than anything....especially with your stress level. Just recognizing and accepting what's going on right now will be a big help, trust me.

See if there's anything on this page that might help: http://www.minniepauz.com/self-improvem ... tions.html
Zero

nightime anxiety anyone?

Postby suelmc40 » Sat May 07, 2005 12:58 pm

Thank you Dee, for the advice. My husband and I own a website design and internet marketing business. He's been doing this stuff for over 20 years and I'm just joining in. It's much better working for yourself, I'll admit to that!! But those regular paychecks are sure missed!! :lol: We haven't had health insurance for almost 5 years, so it's hard to go to the doctor for every little "symptom", and when I do mention menopause to my doctor, she basically ignores me because she thinks I'm too young to be showing any signs of it at the age of 40.

I"ll be fine-- I know that. I just get so anxioius at night, and I think it may be more of all the changes in my life, than perimenopause. Although I'm sure that's not helping any! :)

This website is very helpful as it has so many people I can identify with and I know most of what I'm feeling is completely normal.

I'll check out the area you showed me to go to on this website. And thanks again for letting me ramble...I really am a happy person!!! It just doesn't show on this forum sometimes!! :D

Have a great day!!
Sue
suelmc40

Quick Reply

Next

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause