Was that my period?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Was that my period?

Postby tonybaloney » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:08 am

I've gotten somewhat used to not knowing how heavy my period would be, but had been enjoying the fact that I could pretty much predict when it would be. This month, instead of 24-26 days, I went 32. When it did start, if it in fact started, it was barely even spotting. Nothing that could require more than a pantiliner. It lasted on and off for 4 or 5 days, but there were long stretches with nothing at all. Was that my period? I don't know if it matters or not, but I felt pretty nasty from day 20 to 32, and the hot flashes and night sweats have been worse than usual lately.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Tonybaloney
tonybaloney
Warm Pauzer

Hot Flashes & Cycles

Postby lynie pause » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:54 pm

Toney,

Hey Girl I hear ya on the crazy cycles mine used to be 30 to 32 days apart and now they are in and out of 24 to 26 days apart and lighten which is a good thing :wink: not complaining about that but really not sure when they will strike...but getting used to this weirdo cycle and hate the nite sweats my hubby says I'm his built in furnace but it's kind of bad now it's getting warm out and he pulls away from me cause I make him sweat with my heat :cry: I just ware loosier clothing and lighter clothing that way it will breath and has helped alot. I go go in and out of sleeping well or having that insomnia thingy..which drives me nuts. I wish you well and good luck girl but yep, I think that was your somewhat period......
lynie pause
Combustible

Postby drjudy » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:58 pm

Dear Tony B,

As you get closer to the end, and nearly out of estrogen, periods get very light and the premenstrual time is associated with all those 'outta estrogen' symptoms. Pretty nasty sums it up for some of us.

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Period Confusion

Postby Angie » Wed May 11, 2005 2:45 pm

Yesterday I got my period - if that's what you call it.
Like the other post... it barely makes wearing a pantiliner necessary.
All that being said...
The worst part is I am sooo emotional and hostile. I really don't know how to deal with it. After all the hostility I am crying my eyes out. This is worse than all the PMS I've ever had. My husband is throughly confused.

Is this a symptom of peri-menopause?

What can I do???
Angie

Postby drjudy » Sun May 15, 2005 10:40 am

Dear Angie,

Emotional and hostile are certainly part of the mega-PMS that accompanies the dwindling periods of perimenopause. Even if you choose not to take hormones in the long run, supplemental estrogen in the last half of your cycle into your period would help your mood. Ask your doctor about the possibility.

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby tonybaloney » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:38 pm

I am still messing around with this. I think my reproductive organs have gotten together and decided to toy with me! After my very light period in April, which came on day 32, I started another period on day 19. It wasn't heavy, but it was closer to normal. It took almost a week to get going, but managed to drag on for over two weeks. Then I went 28 days and had another "spotting" period that lasted two days.

I am 35, and have been experiencing changes in my cycle for 1.5 years. Before that, I usually had a 21 day cycle with pretty heavy bleeding. I stretched out to 25 or 26 days, but the flow was lighter. About the time my cycle stretched out, I started experiencing other symptoms, such as insomnia and hot flashes. I had my yearly exam at the end of February, and was pretty much brushed off when I told the NP about my symptoms. She told me these symptoms don't usually show up for another 10 years. As if that fact would make mine go away! (she checked thyroid--it was fine)

I don't know if I need to worry about my cycle being so completely screwed up, or if this is typical. The occasional strange cycle was one thing, but this is nuts! I haven't taken anything so far, and at this point I'm not inclined to start unless I need to. I just don't want to let something go that could be unhealthy. It's probably a stupid question, but does this type of cycle have risks?

Thanks,
Tonya
tonybaloney
Warm Pauzer

Postby Zero » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:31 am

Tonya....you didn't mention your age in your first post and I think we assumed you were older. I always try to remind women to give a little more info when posting so we can help you with more precision.

You might want to check out this site: http://www.earlymenopause.com,
or just ask your doctor about this possibilitie:

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS): Also known as polycystic ovarian disease (PCOD), this can cause skipped periods and a number of other symptoms, including excessive hair growth.. This disorder is sometimes diagnosed by checking your hormones -- as a high ratio of LH (luteinizing hormone) to FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) is often present. This disorder is also sometimes marked by a high level of androgens -- testosterone and DHEA.
Zero

Postby tonybaloney » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:14 am

Thanks for your reply, Dee.

I posted something here Sunday, but I deleted it because some little knucklehead changed some of what I wrote to pretty perverted trash.

Sorry about leaving out my age--I flake out from time to time.

I've read about PCOS, but the symptoms don't really line up. I've also checked out the early menopause website. I even bought the book, which has been pretty helpful.

This has been a pretty gradual change over quite a bit of time, almost as if my cycle is on a pendulum track of some sort. I'm trying pretty hard to "roll with it" as far as the other symptoms go. I certainly appreciate a large block of sleeping time when it happens, and am getting better at recognizing the moods when they are swinging. I understand the importance of light cotton layers. Overall, I'm doing okay at not freaking out at something that will last for quite a while. I am trying to learn as much as I can about this, and handle it the best I can. I just don't want to let something go that could be dangerous. I don't know if this very light spotting is allowing some kind of build up that could be dangerous. I don't mind not having a monster period, I just don't want to let something go that could be harmful.

Dee, thanks for this site, and thanks for working hard to get it back on track. It's nice to have a place to go for information and support.

Tonya
tonybaloney
Warm Pauzer

Postby drjudy » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:25 pm

Dear Tonya,

Your cycles sound about normal for that abnormal time of life called perimenopause. If you can handle the uncertainty, and your bleeding is not so heavy or long as to wear you out, no danger. If you have a lot of spotting between periods, however, you might want to revisit your NP.

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause