only 36, what is going on?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

only 36, what is going on?

Postby oh1363 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:28 pm

for the last 3 years my periods have changed, some light days some heavy days somedays it stops for hours then starts again. now over the last few months I have had on and off ringing in my left ear, and what I guess are hot flashes (just my face gets really hot and red the rest of my body might even be cold) and now last month a few days before my period I got a rash on my back that sometimes is really ichy and sometimes not. It lasted a few days the Dr. said it was just a common rash and not to worry, now a few days before and here we go again with the rash. And the heart beating thing is really scary!! A few times it has felt like it could beat out of my chest. I have a Dr. appt. coming up soon are there any test to find out what this is for sure? Thanks:roll:
oh1363

Postby drjudy » Mon May 02, 2005 9:57 am

Your symptoms--changing periods, ringing in the ears, hot flashes, rash, and palpitations--could be part of a perimenopausal transition. This is defined as the time from when your periods change from their long-time, predictable pattern to one year past the last period. It can last months to years, so if this is what is happening to you, it could still be some time until you actually reach menopause.

I'm afraid there's no one reliable test to tell you exactly what's going on. The tinnitus (ringing in ears), rash, and palpitations may be unrelated to the rest of the picture. Your doctor may decide that other tests are necessary in relation to those symptoms. Hormone levels can be checked, but if they are normal, it doesn't necessarily mean that you aren't entering perimenopause.

The two important things in your situation are: 1) to make sure that nothing serious that requires medical intervention has been missed, and 2) to determine if anything can be done to make you feel better. I doubt there is serious, underlying problem going on here, but it sounds like your symptoms are seriously annoying, so I hope you and your doctor can find ways to bring you some relief.

Sincerely,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby Zero » Mon May 02, 2005 11:02 am

"The tinnitus (ringing in ears), rash, and palpitations may be unrelated to the rest of the picture."

I just wanted to mention that my tinnitus started at the same time my periods stopped---weird, huh? This is one of those "symptoms" that seem to be widespread and seemingly coincidental among women, rather than being clinical examples. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any cure for it and now, 14-15 years later, it hasn't gotten any better, just worse. Drives me crazy.
Zero

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause