1st anxiety attack!

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

1st anxiety attack!

Postby colopam » Fri May 06, 2005 9:49 pm

Well I've had the weird periods (still regular but vary in intensity), insomnia, migraines, a bit of the weepies and a few of the other choice bits of peri but today I had my first full blown bout with anxiety. Nothing in particular going on just that overwhelming feeling, shallow breath, tight throat, claustophobic feeling almost. Had to force myself to breath but was weepy all day hated that as I've only been at this job for a month. Bless my husband tho, I called him to touch bases before he went to work and let him in on what was going on, in his true form he lightly asks "so this would be a bad time to tell you I've found someone else, right??" (this is a real joke with us, ie telemarketer calls and it has to be the others boyfriend/girlfriend) and of course it helped almost as much as an in person hug would have.
I guess I have a question too, has anyone had any luck, info etc on anything natural (along with exercise and meditation) to help cope with that? Can't do soy based products and not a good candidate for estogen.... Any help suggestions, stories would be appreciated.
Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby Zero » Sat May 07, 2005 9:19 am

Sorry to hear about the panic attack, Pam, but you handled it beautifully!! That's really the most we can do when these feelings come on....I think recognizing what is going on is the primary thing and then having a husband like yours to take the edge off is priceless!

If these were to become regular occurances you had to deal with, it's possible that an anti-depressant might help.....we'll have to see what Dr. Judy thinks. I personally just breathe through them and use positive affirmations to calm myself down. Try some of the links on this page:
http://www.minniepauz.com/self-improvem ... tions.html

That's the most natural thing I can come up with...... hope it helps!
Zero

Postby drjudy » Sat May 07, 2005 3:51 pm

Hi Pam,

I'm not as knowledgable about natural solutions as others might be. Panic attacks are difficult to deal with once you're in the middle of them--at least in my personal experience (having had them before), they are very physical and seem outside the control of rational thought.

The anticipitory anxiety, however, as in 'what if I get one of those awful panic attacks,' can be handled with several types of non-addicting, non-tranquilizing, medications (beta-blockers, anti-depressants) which lower your overall 'activation,' making you less likely to get an attack. As Dee mentioned, these might be worth considering if your anxiety mode (which is definitely aggravated by loss of estrogen) becomes a regular visitor.

Let us know if you find some good, drug-free ways of dealing with these aggravations.

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby colopam » Sat May 07, 2005 8:35 pm

Dear Dee and Dr Judy

Thanks as always for the support, the knowledge that it is there helped alot yesterday and I'm sure will help in the future.
I printed a copy of the "35 signs" and DH is looking them over, he truly is a gem, I just don't want him blindsided, another thing I'm thankful for is that with this sight I have less chance of being blindsided when things happen. For example in the midst of my "drama" I was able to remember that this was all a part of the process . If I hadn't read all the stories of my fellow pauzers it really could have been alot worse. Thanks again

Hugs Pam
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Changing Thoughts

Postby lynie pause » Mon May 09, 2005 11:52 am

Hey Pam,
You keep your chin up. I know myself when having a attach I try to do something that gets my focus off that what is bothering me and realize it takes awhile for those thoughts to go away be patience as your body gives itself time to wind down from that surge. I like to take a walk, go outside listen to the birds and think of how I would redo my back yard, listen to music(head phones so it gets right inside my head lol), and realize sometimes the things that wigs me out I cannot change...so I try to eccept them as they are and hope and pray for change....

Be Well....Lynie
lynie pause
Combustible

Panic Attacks

Postby minniepauz » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:24 pm

I have posted a new section for panic attacks and hopefully, the authors of a new book will join us there for discussion:
http://minniepauz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1228
minniepauz
Site Admin

anxiety

Postby Rita » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:13 pm

Hi
I've been dealing with anxiety for about 9 months now. I have tried antidepressants but couldn't tolerate them. I resently believe that I am in premenopause. I am happy to have found this site! For the past several months I have been a frequent user of another http://www.anxietyvictims.com . On that site there is several posting for natural remedies. I even have one posted myself. Look under the medication and therapy section. There are a lot out there.
Rita
Rita
On Fire!

Postby minniepauz » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:14 pm

Thanks for the link, Rita!!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby colopam » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:01 am

Thanks Rita!
I'm going to have to check it ot. I had another episode a couple of days ago, caught it earlier than the first time (of course I was at home and didn't have to worry about work) but I noticed the same blue feelings afterwards, I'm charting to see if there's a pattern in my cycle of course since I haven't had many, for which I give thanks,I'm just starting that.

Hugs Pam
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Understand

Postby panic central » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:44 am

I can relate to the attacks.Have had many.I have found that 1000 mgs of Evening Primrose and 100mg of Vitiamn B complex helps considerably.Even my gyno said good choice.Hope you find the same results.Keep the chin up.I have now started the sweats.Man they are wild hey???Have a great day. :D
panic central
Hot Pauzer

Postby ckvk45 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:48 pm

Just reading thru these ...i was using a half dose of estrogel and still having problems .( my est was low)..my gyn suggested using the entire dose and tonight i feel wonderful ...i can think , i am a comfy temp and best of all NO ANXIETY lol which had been horrible for since i entered peri
good luck to all
Hugs , V
Hugs, V
ckvk45
Combustible

Postby lizaanne » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:07 pm

My mother (57 yrs.) has suffered from anxiety disorder for years. She takes a mild anti-depressent, and if she is anticipating a very stressful event, such as a death or some such thing, she will use xanax. But the best thing she has found to get her though and manage her anxiety has been to really learn good yoga breathing techniques. This level of concentration and breathing has helped her many times in the past. Might be something to consider.

~Liza
lizaanne

Postby colopam » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:20 pm

Lizanne
Thanks for the thoughts. I'm not normally an anxious person, and haven't had many of these episodes. The breathing techniques I've learned doing energy work, massage and meditation have really helped during those times. BUT if it started to hinder my life or hold me back I do some exploration on he various alternatives. So far so good!
Hugs Pam
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause