Newbie going crazy??

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Newbie going crazy??

Postby Vickster » Mon May 23, 2005 4:12 pm

Hi....I think I am the poster child for peri-menopause. There I was 4 months ago thinking that my 25 year smoking habit was the cause of all of my troubles. Although I am SURE that it certainly contributed, I quit smoking "cold turkey", but my problems remained status quo (except for the fact that I can now breathe!)

I am 45 years old and have been using depo provera for over 10 years. I have decided to stop the depo. Went to the MD (actually the PA), explained how I felt (not sleeping, "electric shock" feeling in the head, tingling in the arms and hands, claminess, faint feeling, anxiety, etc.), and was told to take Allegra. When I explained that this did not work, I was sent to the ENT for testing, including an MRI, sinus xrays and a sinus CT Scan, all of which revealed basically nothing (except a minor case of sinusitis).

Today, I was nauseus for a short period, and faint feeling in the worst way. I sometimes really feel like there is something seriously wrong with me, and I won't "make it through the night". The physician's assistant stated that I am "too young" to be going through menopause.

I purchased some Estroven and have been taking that for a couple of weeks. I THINK I may be feeling somewhat better. Is there a time frame for symptoms to ease?

Thank you!
Vicki
Vickster

Postby Tilly » Mon May 23, 2005 5:07 pm

Hi Vicky, I just dropped in and saw your post. Your Dr is wrong you are very much in the age group to be in peri-menopause. No, sorry there is not a time frame for this stuff it is different for all women. Everything you are describing sounds normal even the "electric shock and tingling". If you look around on this site you will find other stories like your own. I hope it helps just knowing you are not alone.
Tilly

Postby colopam » Mon May 23, 2005 8:57 pm

Vicky
Tilly's right! Take a look at the site and read thru the posts and you'll see yourself in a lot of them. As Dee says "be sure to keep your sense of humor" . Feel free to vent!! And WELCOME!!!! Big Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Thank you!

Postby Guest » Tue May 24, 2005 8:37 am

You guys are the best. Thank you; will do a lot of reading!

Ooops!

Postby Vickster » Tue May 24, 2005 8:39 am

Thought I was logged in! Anyway, ladies, thank you so much for your thoughts. They are VERY helpful...will do a lot more reading. Your support is much appreciated!

Vicki.
Vicki
Vickster

Postby drjudy » Tue May 24, 2005 9:40 am

Dear Vicki,

You didn't mention when your last Depo shot was, but know that it will take as much as six months to re-establish your own hormonal pattern and it will be difficult to judge where you're at in the perimenopausal process until that happens.

Your symptoms sound like you have a huge component of anxiety/panic right now. Not necessarily the 'I'm so anxious over this particular thing right now' variety, but the abnormal body activation that comes with panic that feels more like being seriously ill or in danger of dying. Panic mode can include feeling like you'll faint, dizziness, and an odd depersonalization type feeling. I think others on this forum have described the many unpleasant sensations of panic.

Dropping levels of hormones can certainly set this off. I hope you can get in touch with someone more knowledgable on hormonal subjects than your PA to help you feel better. It is certainly reassuring that you have had a number of normal tests.

By the way, Depo Provera has been linked to loss of bone density. You should have a test of your bone density if you have not already had one.

Keep us posted how you're doing.

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Thank you, Dr. Judy....

Postby Vickster » Tue May 24, 2005 2:09 pm

My last depo shot was in January; I was due for another mid April and did not have that shot. I was experiencing my symptoms well before (many months) prior to making the decision to end the depo.

The whole situation is very scary and frustrating and it seems that I can't make myself clear to the PA. They've now even gone so far as to recommend that I see an allergist for evaluation. While this may not be a "bad" idea; it does not seem to me to an idea that will lead to a solution for me.

I most wholeheartedly agree that the negative tests are reassuring. I have read the info re: depo and bone loss and plan on having the bone density testing.

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to respond. Even though sometimes I feel alone in this, it's certainly nice to know that you all are out there! I will keep you posted.... :-)
Vicki
Vickster

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause