So I'm off to the doc...what do I want to be sure to mention

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

So I'm off to the doc...what do I want to be sure to mention

Postby karij123 » Thu May 26, 2005 2:20 pm

I'm new and tried to find the info, but I'm going to throw this out and see if anyone has any advice.

Here's the skinny....I'm 38 years old and my list of symptoms include:
horrible night sweats
irritable
mood swings
uncontrollable crying (at the dumbest things!!)
sleep...can't get there and if I do, wake up during the night either because I'm too hot or have to go potty
heavier periods than in the past, but my cycle can be anywhere from 21 to 35 days
foggy brain
MEMORY LOSS!! This is the most frightening for me! I can remember things surrounding a subject, but can't remember the subject. This is by far the worst symptom for me personally (so far!)
restless legs, especially at night but can happen throughout the day
breasts tender and swollen (DH might like it, but it's worse than day 3 after giving birth!!)
gastro issues (upset tummy, gas, irritable bowel type stuff, but not IBS)
Weight gain (although I am also 3 months smoke free...YEAH ME!!)
Unable to tolerate the cold...it hurts to my bones.
Various hypothyroid symptoms, but all tests are good for that.
Low libedo

I have an appt with my doc in about 3 weeks, but am curious to know what, if any, tests are out there that could help me figure out what's going on. With my mother having a complete hysterectomy at the age of 30, I don't know what our family is genetically geared towards in regards to menopause. I would agree that nutrition and stress does play a part, but I am finally at the point in my life where I'm not eating Cheeto's for breakfast after working with a nutritionist for the last 6 months. I feel like if it's not premenopause, it's estrogen dominance (or is that the same thing?) and need to find some sort of relief. I cannot live like this for years.

Anything special you would recommend I speak to my doctor about??

Thanks!!!!
karij123

Postby colopam » Fri May 27, 2005 8:22 am

Karij123
First I'd go to the section of this fabulous site and print out the 35 symptoms, then I'd go thru and check the ones that pertained to me and the degree/frequency, increases/decrease (cycle) of them. Share this with your SO, my DH has a copy of them in his desk (bless his heart) Take this with you to your doc and don't let them out of the room till you've got some answers. I've learned to write things down so I don't forget then remember in the parking lot that I had some more questions. Remember a good doc is there for you and will try to help you make heads or tails out of things.

Remember to check on the "Ask The Professional" section of the message board as Dr. Judy is a wonderful resource. Check out some of the posts on that site as there may be answers for you already there.
AND....... Good Luck!!! Let us know how things go!! Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby drjudy » Fri May 27, 2005 2:11 pm

Early perimenopause is all about too much estrogen which causes the irritability, bloating, and tender breasts. Then, as estrogen levels fall before periods, estrogen withdrawal causes a terminal case of PMS, and the hyperestrogenic stimulation to the uterus causes heavy periods.

Some women respond well to low dose birth control pills. Cycled progesterone, used in the last 1-2 weeks of each cycle, can also improve symptoms over several cycles.

This phase of the journey is MOST unpleasant, but it doesn't have to be that bad. I hope your doc is helpful to you.

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby Guest » Fri May 27, 2005 4:45 pm

Thanks for the replies! I guess it's a bit heartening to hear that this is the MOST unpleasant :D She asked me to come in next week to have some tests done, including another thyroid test, so that she'll have the results prior to our appointment. I guess I'm a bit concerned now that having the tests done next week (week 1 of my cycle I'm betting) will be very different than if she were to repeat it on day 15 of my cycle. Would it be beneficial to have her test both times.

I feel very comfortable with my doctor, having been with her through 2 children over the last 14 years. I just want to be sure I don't forget anything :roll: :roll: I will definitely be writing down my questions!!

Thanks again! I appreciate the help!

Postby drjudy » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:54 pm

Actually testing blood levels early in the cycle, around day 3 (day 1 is first day of bleeding) is most instructive.

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause