Am I crazy or is this peri Menopause?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Am I crazy or is this peri Menopause?

Postby bonsachangin » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:43 pm

Hi Everyone, I'm new here and I am so glad I have found you all. I was beginning to think I was crazy until I started reading some of the comments and I can relate to many of them I am 49 and I find I don't know my body and mind any more. I'm having panic attacks and mood swings left and right and over things that haven't bothered me in the past. My periods are hit and miss (mostly miss lately) My head tingles, my skin is changing. light headed, dizzy at times, and I have acquired nystagmus in the last 6 months. I also feel as if I am trembling internally at times. I have had test and everything comes up normal. When I talk to my physician he looks at me like I am nuts and wants me to take antidepressents. I tried them and opthlomologist said to stop to see if that helped nystagmus. I am so confused! Does any one have these symptoms or am I really crazy as I originally thought. Thanks for letting me vent! I would appreciate any comments and/or advice you all have to share.
bonsachangin
Hot Pauzer

You're not nuts!

Postby dcamp » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:10 pm

Hi Bons,

Your post could have been written by me. I have never had a single hot flash, but all of the symptoms you describe have been happening to me. I have panic and anxiety attacks which I never had before. My head tingles, I get lightheaded a lot too. What a crazy roller coaster ride this is. First we have to have cramps and periods to cope with. Labor pains that of course "we forget" yeah right! And now this. Who says it isn't a man's world? Take care. You will survive. Donna
dcamp

Postby minniepauz » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:24 am

I hope you don't mind, bonsa, but you fit right in with us and we're glad you found our wonderful little tea party!! (one more member and we're at 1500....but that's the tip of the iceberg!)

I'm sure you've found that you sound perfectly normal after reading other posts here. In fact, many times we realize how lucky we are when others seem to have really severe symptoms compared to our own. Not to minimize what you're experiencing, but part of our solution is adjusting to a somewhat different body and acceptance that things ARE "a changin'" and we need to educate ourselves so we know what our options are.

One of the biggest helpers I can offer is HUMOR REPLACEMENT THERAPY! Please make sure you check out the website, the newsletter and the cartoons along with the compassionate women on this board! :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby bonsachangin » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:14 pm

Thanks Donna, I live in a male dominated household ( 1 husband and 1 son). I really don't have anyone who understands or wants to hear any of this. Your encouragement and support was much appreciated. It was nice to have someone understand what I am going through. Thanks again! Bonnie
P.S. I never did forget those labor pains either. Whoever said that you would must have been a man!
bonsachangin
Hot Pauzer

Postby drjudy » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:24 pm

Dear Bonnie,

Although we can all relate to how you are feeling, it does sound like your symptoms are overwhelming and interfering with your daily life. Might you and your doctor consider using estrogen to see if you would feel more like your old self? With mostly missed periods, panic, anxiety, dizzy, light-headed...all sounds like a case of the missing hormone. I don't, however, know what to make of your nystagmus. Have you consulted a neurologist?

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby bonsachangin » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:51 pm

Dr. Judy, I have seen a opthlomologist and a neurologist. I have had a mri and an mra done. I have even had a Cervical spine xray don and they have all been normal. The Neurologist I saw felt very confident that I do not have ms. He did not schedule me a follow up appointment. MS was the first thing the ophthlomologist mentioned when I was first diagnosed. So I was very relieved about that. I have been trying to find out what the problem has ben since I first started noticing it, which was late last fall. The physicians don't know what the cause is and they send me home to wait and see if it goes away.( They don't seem to think it is anything serious) I'm trying to get used to it, but sometimes it is hard. I go back to ophlomologist in July. I was hoping that maybe it could have something to do with my hormones. ( they seem to affect everything else so why not) I do take Toprol XL for Hypertension but no one thinks it is from that. I had been taking the lowest dose of Celexa for a few months. Neuro told me to stop to see it that was the problem. ( it wasn't) If you have ay suggestion as to where to take this I would appreciate. I'm not asking you to diagnose me. Just your opinion. I also will see my gyno in July and hopefully we will discuss HRP. I looked at my calander yesterday and I haven't had a period since March. So I know this is something I need to look into. Thank you for your interest. Bonnie
bonsachangin
Hot Pauzer

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause