Question on itching

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Question on itching

Postby ckvk45 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:17 pm

Hi all ,
Hope everyone is well ! It is hot here in MD shewwwwwwwww, and we need rain badly ....
was wondering , how many of you have had the itchy , prickly skin stuff
seems i have this allot lately ..more than ever ...Zyrtec doesnt touch it , i still itch and my eyes seem drier ...I am using a hrt , but still having this
It really stinks when you are trying to sleep and a itchy or sting or prickly feeling starts .... I see this in the list of 35 symptoms ...Seems maybe its common
Hugs, V
ckvk45
Combustible

Postby drjudy » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:12 am

They've even dignified this symptom with a formal name--'formication.' Sounds illegal, doesn't it? Definitely a sleep ruiner as the lights go down and the skin starts creeping and crawling.

Dry eyes is another one. There is a new drop on the verge of release that should be quite helpful.

We call this 'a mess.'

Best--
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby ckvk45 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:55 am

LOL Dr Judy ,
I think it is illegal to feel this way Yikkkeeesss
i was so busy i had not been back to the sight ..thru the holiday weekend
Hope everyone had a good 4th ....
what was the comment in Suzzane S book ..itchy and b*tchy lol
thats me lol :twisted:
Hugs, V
ckvk45
Combustible

here you go!

Postby minniepauz » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:29 am

minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby ckvk45 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:58 am

LOLOLOL this cartoon is a keeper Dee!!!
thanks for sending ..gave me a needed chuckle today !
Hugs, V
ckvk45
Combustible

Itchy

Postby missihowell » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:51 am

I too have recently been hit with the "itchies". I have been "peri" for about 6 years....night sweats started at about 40 and I am now 46. Only have more signs of menapause kicked up within the last 6 months - I have just missed a second period within this 6 month timespan. Vaginal dryness, enough to require KY for sex, but so much that I have a problem with vaginal itching (yet, anyway). Hot flashes within the last 2 months have gone from once or twice a month to every 2 to 4 hours.

About 3 weeks ago, I began itching on my arms and legs - and a rash also appeared. I first thought it was sun exposure mixed with antibiotics, although I had taken my last dosage 48 hours prior to the sun. I was only in the sun about an hour - which is nothing for this Floridian. After 4 days on benedryl and no relief, I called the doctor. He was not sure what is causing the rash/itch, could be hormonal, could be allergic (there was a lot of sargasso seaweed on the beach), but is leaving the decision to me whether to being HRT....although he is not encouraging it at this time - for which I am glad. I feel I can tough out the hot flashes, but the itching is sometimes just unbearable. I've discussed my symptoms with my older sisters, and neither of them have encountered the itching.....

The doctor prescribed Clarinex for 10 days, and gave me a 5 day supply of prednizone. It helped somewhat, the rash is gone, but 2 weeks later, I am still itching. While the itching has somewhat been reduced on the arms and legs, I now find that my butt and belly itch.....good grief. Still no recurring rash - just itching. At least I haven't had the mood swings....my body changes are only attacking me, and not my friends and family thankfully!

I find some relief with my body lotion and a coat of Cortaid twice daily. I am also taking Claritin, more for my repiratory allergies than the itching. I began taking Estroven a week ago - we'll see how that goes, still too early to evaluate. I am also going to try different lotions - Aveeno doesn't seem to work as well as Jergens - I'll pass that on.

If there are any other suggestions - I'm all ears. I'm just "adjusting" so to speak right now - part of being a woman and playing the cards I have.
Rose Gardener
missihowell

Postby minniepauz » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:28 pm

Welcome, Rose.....sure hope you find some level of comfort with all that itching going on. I don't know that such a severe case of itching would be related to menopause, but there's so much that we don't know....sure must be frustrating though!

Hang in there....sounds like you have a good attitude and that, to me is the best tool we have!
minniepauz
Site Admin

itchy skin

Postby jerribeth1956 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:57 pm

I am 49 and have started to have this terrible itching on my face the last several days.(some on my arms and neck) My skin is not dry and I have no rash and have not changed my face cream. Also alot more migraines than before. Sometime 4 or 5 days in a row.(the last 2 mos.) I have started to chart my headaches for my doctor.Mood swings and short tempered..I'm sure this is the start of menopause. The itching is the worst..HELP!!
jerribeth1956

Postby minniepauz » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:54 pm

Welcome, Jerribeth....there sure are a lot of us with some kind of agonizing itching going on! I have it in the crease on each side of my nose and between my eyebrows. I thought maybe it was rosacia (sp?) but evidently it's not.

If we all keep talking about it, sooner or later we'll come up with some conclusions!! Be sure to mention the itching to your doctor too.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby drjudy » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:38 pm

I'm afraid I'm not much help here. I think menopause may change the biochemistry of the skin to make it more prone to itching, and then, perhaps, a second condition such as an allergy sets it off. I recently sent a patient off to a dermatologist for dreadful scalp itching. Whatever he gave her helped; I'll look tomorrow and see what it was. Probably a cortisone lotion to decrease the skin's immune response.

Judy

p.s. I just looked up itching plus menopause on Medline (the government sponsored archive of the medical literature) and came up with not one helpful reference. A web-site called http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/symptoms.html says that skin itching is due to loss of collagen in the skin from falling levels of estrogen and can be improved with HRT.
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause