is it the end?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

is it the end?

Postby april62 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:59 pm

I am 43 and have had regular periods and not many symptoms. In fact, very mild symptoms and no sweating or out of wack hormones. My question is that for the past 4 months i have noticed that my periods have been lighter. I have never had very heavy periods but now its almost like i feel as if period started and didn't complete itself. Its not the same as it was before..The cycle however has stayed the same in length and i have not experienced any spotting or extra periods..I'm just wondering whether i could be in menopause without having experienced any symptoms? Could the light periods become lighter and just fade away?
april62

Postby minniepauz » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:28 pm

That could happen April, but it's not very likely I'm afraid. You sound like you're just starting the process of peri-menopause which can go on for several years and is generally considered to be the time between when you first start having slight changes in your period until you have not had a period for 12 months. At that point, you are definitely in menopause. Your symptoms will come and go and there's no guarantee that you'll have all the symptoms or none of them.

The best thing you can do is to read what other women have gone through, educate yourself on all the possibilities and options and trust your instincts. It really helps to know your family history and MY favorite, keep your sense of humor handy!! :)

Just don't fool yourself into thinking that you might be at the end of the process when it's more likely that you've only just begun! We'll be here for you!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby april62 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:45 pm

Thanks..Your answer helped me..I read the posts here but felt that so far i have not had any symptoms such as hot flashes or sweats and emotional binges! I don't really know my family history either..I experienced a death six months bach which has been an emotional stress even uptil now..(thats when my period changed too) I'm wondering whether that could cause it or its just the start of the end? Or the End of the start??? :)
april62

Postby minniepauz » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:45 am

It's very possible that the stress has affected your periods. Sometimes stress can completely stop them, so you'll just have to wait and see if things go back to normal or if you continue to have irregular cycles.

The main thing is that you are aware of the possibilities, so you won't be completely freaked out if you suddenly feel like someone else has taken over your body. :) Most of us didn't have a clue that it might be our hormones, so we literally thought we were losing our minds.

You don't have to put your life on hold or anything, just keep track of the subtle changes and keep reading so you know what to expect. Maybe you WILL breeze through the process without much trouble, especially if you start now to take care of yourself instead of waiting until "after" (like taking calcium, vitamins, exercising, etc).
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby april62 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:45 am

I'm afraid of that feeling of losing control over yourself to some freak person! I'm also wondering how much one's race has to do with symptoms? Do some ethnic groups have more symptoms then others?
One thing i noted was that so far i have not been irregular. Things stay the same way for at least a year. Just this time around, i feel a real change in that the period is light, not heavier or clotted and it feels like its disappearing or something to that effect with few symptoms..It maybe due to stress or shock. I wonder how long till it becomes normal again if ever? :)
april62

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause