One Ovary

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

One Ovary

Postby ckvk45 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:27 pm

Another question for anyone having this same situation ..I had a hysterectomy almost 2 years ago for endometriosis ...leaving one ovary , of course it has given me problems with endo pain occasionaly and with working and not working lol...i have had several months where i didnt ovulate and many where i get cysts...how long will this ovary hang on ? i am 44 now ...was hoping it would quit before the normal age of 52 , but feel i may be stuck in peri for the entire period of years :(
i was told it is small ...but it can still pump when it wants too lol
Hugs, V
ckvk45
Combustible

Postby drjudy » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:35 pm

From my experience, it seems like one ovary does not hasten age of menopause but rather prolongs the joys of perimenopause. But ovaries post hysterectomy don't necessarily hang on as long as ovaries with uterus intact.

I'm sure that not knowing just what you face adds to the excitement of this phase of your life. Aren't you lucky?

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

progestins

Postby ckvk45 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:55 am

Oh wonderful lol
as i yet again am faced with a decision ..i had to have a ultrsound yesterday ..my abdomen bloated up and i have that oh so familiar severe sacral pain and leg pain and bladder bowel mess that goes with endometriosis..i have a cyst there is all i know from the tech ...i see my gyn today ....i wanted to keep this ovary , cause of the horror stories of being without , or endo pain returning anyway ...this pain really reminds me of how i want to get rid of it ....she will give me that option, as well as depo provera, and other progestins NOT i tried the combipatch and had no pain , but also became evil on it...PMS to the highest ..and oddly had night sweats and sleep disturbances lol..i have tried compounded progesterone cream which hasnt stopped any of this endo pain, oral prometrium made me feel drunk all the next day lol
is there any progestin that will not do this to me ??? I cannot do birth control ..i smoke :( ( i know i need to quit) i never tolerated them well anyway made me PMS and and depressed too ...thinking of trying again using a progestin so many days a month ..although i cannot tell when i am having cycles ..dumb perimeno and no uterus
maybe i just need to get this ovary out !
Help !
Hugs, V
ckvk45
Combustible

Postby drjudy » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:44 am

There are two progestogens that I can think of that may be better tolerated--levonorgestrel and norethindrone. The former is in the progestogen only pills micronor and norqd. The latter is sold generic, brand name aygestin, also is in Activella (a combination HRT).

Sounds like you are in a difficult position. You can try your remaining progestogen options, then maybe opt to have the last ovary out as it seems like more trouble than it's worth right now.

Please let us know how it goes.

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby ckvk45 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:14 pm

Thanks Dr Judy ....I am going to attempt something else ...give it some time...If i can take the pain lol
if i still have problems , i will have to give up the ovary ..it really has been throwing me all over the place and messing with my quality of life
not helping me , if i am miserable :roll:
have you seen or heard of a compounded progesterone cream that is a bit stronger helping endo at all ? we did discuss this as well ..
so many studies are conflicting about it ...
again thank you
Hugs, V
ckvk45
Combustible

Postby drjudy » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:43 pm

Compounded progesterone cream by prescription can be made as strong as your doctor wishes. I am unfamiliar with any studies on how that might affect endometriosis.

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause