Age 52 Period after 14 days

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Age 52 Period after 14 days

Postby frd1083 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:36 pm

For the last week I have felt a little more weird than usual. I still get regular periods every 25-26 days, a few hot flashes but not bad. Over the past week I have suddenly been feeling very light headed and not myself, more flashing and then wham, period 11 days early and very heavy which I have not had for a couple of years.

I had heavy periods for about 2-3 years, but for the past year have been fine, not bad at all., lasting 4-5 days. This one is from Hell., I am very uncomfortable and bleeding pretty good.

Is this a normal turn of events and what causes the period to come early, lack of progesterone??

Thanks

Faith
frd1083

Postby drjudy » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:41 pm

Dear Faith,

I sometimes wonder if anything in perimenopause could be called normal.

A heavy, early period is certainly consistent with a lack of progesterone due to no ovulation. These periods can truly be awful--heavy and prolonged. If it does not taper off like a normal period, you might want to consult your doctor. These heavy bleeds can be very exhausting, and sometimes they need a little hormonal nudge to stop.

If this pattern of short cycles and heavy flows is recurrent, your doctor may be able to recomend a strategy that would help you avoid the aggravation and risk of becoming anemic that can go with frequent heavy bleeding.

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause