any ideas?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

any ideas?

Postby Lya » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:40 pm

A few months ago I started to get stomach ache and pains across the chest and sore breasts. Thought it was the 'pause-but when I got an acidy stomach that wouldn't quit I found a doctor. I say 'found' as we're from the UK and have been here 2 years and didn't have either a doctor or insurance. Trying to sort insurance out now. The doctor, after a chat gave me some stuff that stopped the acid stomach-and to take Protonix for a month, as he thought it likely to be Gastritis due to a reaction from Ibuprofen I was taking nearly every day for arthritis.
The month was up last week-and the chest is no better-crampy, shooting pains, and seems like gas there as well. The stomach isn't too bad, although it can be painful as well.
Are these more symptoms of menopause-there seem to be so many?

Sue.
Lya

Postby Rose52 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:26 pm

I'm not a dr. but it doesn't sound like it's from menopause, bloating and gas can be but what you describe sounds more like acid reflex, gastritis or even ulcer. If you've been on the medicine for a month now and it's not any better then you should go back to your dr. and let him know.

Rose
Rose52
Hot Pauzer

Postby CathyW » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:48 am

http://www.minniepauz.com/35symptoms.html

Hi Rose! if you visit the symptoms page listed above you will see that digestive issues,bloating,gas and gas pain are listed as symptons of menopause. Not that you shouldn't continue to see your doctor to rule out other causes because you definitely should. Take care Rose.

Cathy
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby Lya » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:55 am

Thanks for the answers, not sure what I'll do yet. I want to look for a 'natural' doctor and see if they can help. I'm fed up taking pills that either don't work or make it worse.

Thanks. Sue.
Lya

Postby drjudy » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:12 am

Hi Sue,

Sounds like you have two gastrointestinal problems--acid gastritis improved on Protonix, and dysfunctional bowel that is sending gas pains up to the chest. I'm guessing about this second diagnosis, I think you should also have your heart checked out. All of course more difficult, and expensive!, due to lack of insurance.

Menopause makes everything worse, but I don't think it's the only reason why you're struggling with these pains. Ibuprofen can affect both the stomach and the lower intestine. When it affects the intestines, it causes gas, diarrhea, and/or digestive disturbances, so it may be that use of the medication caused both your troubles. Treating arthritis is tough as the best meds. such as ibuprofen do have difficult side effects.

Hope you find some relief from these nagging pains.

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby Lya » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:26 pm

Thanks Dr. Judy,
I've been to see a 'naturopathic' doctor, and she did give me more of an examination. She also said I needed to have tests to check cholesterol and for electrolytes (I think that was it) and also an ultra-sound. The ultra sound, on the abdomen, sounds expensive, and haven't found out the cost yet.
She also said I needed to eat more protein.
I finally managed to pick up the Estrace cream from the pharmacy and am using that as well.

Sue.
Lya

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause