What is this---help please?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

What is this---help please?

Postby MissKaty » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:43 am

I had only my uterus removed in 1990. In 2000, I went through the worse case scenerio you can imagine with all the symtoms of menopause. I refused hormone replacement & toughed it out. In 2003, my tests came back saying I was postmenopausal & even my Dr. wrote on my lab result paper (You made it!). But, my bloodwork in 2004 & 2005 came back saying I was perimenopausal. Does this make sense? I didn't know you could go in & out of it.

Also, lately, I've had aching around my ovaries. Can stress cause this? I also had a case of sciatica recently & wondered if that is causing it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, & yes, I see a therapist for generalized anxiety disorder. I need dental work done Wed. & am so panicky that I can barely get through a day....am terrified of Dentists.

One other question.....when I nap, I awake sometimes with a racing pulse. Had a stress test that came back normal. Is this one of our wonderful symtoms too? Thanks so much for your help.
Wishing all true happiness & the ability to accept what we can't change & help from above to deal with it all.
MissKaty

Postby drjudy » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:00 am

Dear Miss Katy,

You are certainly up late! I'll get back with you later today.

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby drjudy » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:01 pm

Lots of symptoms, somewhat fewer answers:

Fluctuating blood levels of FSH are characteristic of perimenopause, and for that reason I rarely order them. I would be reluctant to declare that someone is in menopause just from bloodwork, or to somehow distinguish that from perimenpause where blood levels of FSH can be normal or quite elevated.

Aching around ovaries: I'm not sure what to make of that. Maybe it represents an attempt by your ovaries to dig deep for a leftover follicle and ovulate.

Sciatica: Generally caused by pinching of the sciatic nerve as it exits the spine or comes through the layers of the gluteal muscle. I suppose it could be made worse by hormonal changes, but not necessarily caused by them.

Anxiety disorder and dental phobia: Definitely made worse by menopause. I would be inclined personally to briefly use some anti-anxiety medication rather than dread the dental work.

Racing pulse post nap: Hmm, hot flash equivalent? Not sure what to make of that.

Sounds like lots of symptoms that would be annoying, but nothing serious except for the anxiety which can be a real show-stopper in terms of enjoyment of everyday life.

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause