What is going on?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

What is going on?

Postby lmp33 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:50 pm

Just so I might be able to relate with someone out there. It all started about a year ago when my two oldest girls decided they were going to get married this year. My two youngest daughters were seniors in high school this year. One daughter got married in January. The twins graduated from high school on May 26th and the other daughter got married on May 28th. I was really emotional but reallly thought that it was probably normal. I started having periods that were very irregular and having a few hot flashes about in May. I had my last period in May. I started about one month ago being very emotional. I start crying and don't really know why. I get a feeling of dissatisfication and uneasiiness. I am going to be taking one of the twins to college next week and can't stand to think about it. I have no desire for sex. I feel very lonely even with people around me. I have never been a depressed person and have always been able to work through most everything. Today I couldn't even sit through church because I was so weepy. Someone please help!!!!
lmp33

Postby drjudy » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:16 pm

The only way you could be more sandwiched here would be if you were looking after an elderly parent as well. Perhaps you just didn't mention that one... What a difficult position we menopausal ladies find ourselves in--enormous life changes at the exact same time that we experience earth-shattering body changes.

Your timeline here sounds like you are on a collision course with menopause. All of the hormonal changes may have been accelerated by your high stress and may, in fact, temporarily reverse when life calms down, returning you to full control of mind and body.

In the meantime, you are facing an empty nest, a body that is acting nothing like usual, and all the emotions attached to rites of passage. The things you are feeling are all normal but may not be acceptable right now given all that you must do for others. I hope you have support in your life, perhaps from your spouse, a friend, a family member?

This might be a good time to visit your doctor and find out about some medications that could bolster you to get through this difficult transition.
Are you sleeping okay? Are you anxious, dwelling endlessly on things that can't, or perhaps don't need to be, solved? You certainly sound depressed. Lack of estrogen worsens all these things, and the use of estrogen, now no matter what you and your doctor thing about its use over the long haul, might be helpful. That also could be true of anti-anxiety or antidepressant medication to ease your journey right now.

I'm sure many women checking into this forum can relate to what you're going through. I hope you find reading through previous posts here helpful, and I'll bet you'll hear from some other women who've been there or are doing that.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause