Is this normal?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Is this normal?

Postby jab » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:54 pm

I just happened upon this site as I was trying to find out what's "normal" and what isn't.

First off, let me say that depression has always been a part of my experience, so I can't really say that that would be considered a "symptom." :?

I will soon be 39, and am already having periods more frequently than normal.....like every 3 weeks. The back pain I've had w/them has been excruciating at times. And the last several periods have been VERY heavy.........including LARGE clumps of blood, about the size of a grape or larger (I hate to be so graphic, but I just don't know what's normal and what's not.)

When I went in for a physical about a year and a half ago, my dr. did some blood work and said that my hormone levels had dropped and that I was entering "perimenopause." blah, blah, blah. I don't really want to go back in because my doctor is so overloaded it's almost impossible to get an appt and you have to wait forever once you get there, and I don't want to get a new dr.

I've only looked at a few threads here, but you all seem like a funny, supportive group of gals......so perhaps you could help answer my questions.

Are those kinds of periods normal (I've always been as regular as clock work and never had such unusually heavy periods!) or do I need to go see my dr? (Keep in mind, I REALLY don't want to do that!)

Looking forward to getting to know some of you........

jab
jab

Postby minniepauz » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:43 am

Welcome, jab....glad you found us. Please understand that although we're a very supportive bunch, we're not doctors and really can't answer medical questions on a message board, but I would say anything that has not been happening with you in a routine way would be abnormal for you and really should be talked over with your physician.

You can ask Dr. Judy here on this forum and she can give you a little more insight about your problem (mainly the blood clots), but even she will recommend that you talk with your doctor. :)

You obviously have something going on since your doc said you're entering perimenopause and you're having much heavier periods and passing clots. Just get the appt and get your fanny in there....just to make sure. :) Let us know how you're doing, ok?
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby drjudy » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:42 am

I'll post later today.

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby enough already » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:21 pm

Hi jab. I was having the same type of periods for almost a year. I would have one day of EXTREMEMLY heavy bleeding (changing tampons every half hour - having to wear overnight maxi pad all the time - just in case. Flooding all the time. Clots were at least grape size. And cramps that were worse than labour!! Thank God for Anaprox. Doctor wanted to perform a hysterectomy, then an ablasion (sp?). I opted for neither and toughed it out (crazy, I know). I went from that, to no periods for 4 months - imagine my glee! Now since June I have had a couple of periods (I think, it's been hard to tell). A few hours of bleeding, then just spotting. I had an ultrasound yesterday to rule out any abnormal stuff. The funny thing is the ultrasound tech. is the same age as me (45) and she was describing the exact same problems. I have talked with a few women and they all report the same type of periods as well. Not to say that it's "normal", but I don't think it's all that abnormal either - if that makes any sense.
enough already

Postby jab » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:37 pm

Thanks for the info., ladies.

I probably will go ahead and haul myself into the dr. ( :x )

But it's good to know that others have experienced the same thing.

I'm just not enjoying this AT ALL!!!! Kinda sucks all the fun out of your days.........not to mention what it does to your sheets!!!!! :oops: :x
jab

Postby drjudy » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:31 am

I'm glad you're checking with doctor. Heavier periods at shorter intervals is definitely part of early perimenopause. That said, however, the bleeding can not only be annoying but can result in anemia and exhaustion. There are treatments that can improve your situation. Find a great mystery book for the waiting room ordeal, and see if you can find some relief!

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby jab » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:31 pm

drjudy wrote: There are treatments that can improve your situation. Find a great mystery book for the waiting room ordeal, and see if you can find some relief!

That sounds like a good plan!

I'll try to call the dr tomorrow and get an appt. Since I'm a school teacher and school starts next week, this isn't exactly the most convenient time, but is there EVER a convenient time to go to the dr?

The good thing is that I like my dr alot, and he always takes the time to listen to your concerns and give you lots of feedback (which could be why he's so overloaded and it takes to long to get in! :wink: )
jab

Postby Ms. Shapen » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:11 am

jab wrote:I don't really want to go back in because my doctor is so overloaded it's almost impossible to get an appt and you have to wait forever once you get there, and I don't want to get a new dr.

Hi Jab,

You like your doctor, but you can't get in to see him. :? You can't let your health go because your doctor is inconvenient. You can't afford to NOT see him. Make an appointment or find another doctor. Sure, your doctor is good, but so are a lot more doctors. I'm pretty confident that your doctor hasn't cornered the market on goodness. ;)

I have a couple more suggestions:

1. Doctor offices tend to be busy on Mondays. Try for an appointment on a different day.

2. When calling to schedule, try to get the very first morning appointment. There won't be another patient before you, who is late and fowling up the rest of his day (and yours).

3. The morning of your appointment, call ahead and ask if the doctor is running late and by how much. That way, if you are running behind and he is late by half an hour, you don't have to drive like a wild woman to get there on time (for example).

4. I have sent my doctor an anonymous letter stating the situation of his office that could use improving. You could do this, describing the wait that patients experience and suggesting that the staff avoid over-booking. Your doctor may not even realize that this is happening.

Gitjer butt (no pun intended) to the doctor.
Pauz-ing to remember what I was going to do next . . . *sigh* :D
Ms. Shapen
Hot Pauzer

Postby drjudy » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:56 am

Good suggestions. I also think appts. first thing in the afternoon go well if your doctor does not go to the hospital over the lunch hour.

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause