New here-think I may have pre-menopause

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

New here-think I may have pre-menopause

Postby Rita » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:24 pm

HI,
I am so confused I am driving myself crazy. I am 44 years old and had my uterus only removed because of fibroid tumers about a year and a half ago. After I had my surgery my family and I had a number of negatives things happen in our family. Another words if it could go wrong -it did. About 7 months after my surgery and everything had settled down I experienced my first panic attack. Then came the horrible anxiety & anxiety attacks. I was told by a few doctors that I have a chemical imbalance from too many unhappy things going on.I have been to 7 different doctors ranging from DO, MD, gyn. & gyn. surgion, psychiatrist, therapist and my doctor now who is an ND. I tried to take antidepressants only for them to make me sick. I had blood work and was told that my estrogen was low but within normal range and that I WASN'T going through menopause. My ND said my thyroid was underactive (oh by the way I had that tested too and was told it was fine) yet when he gave me some iodine tablets all my trembling and anxiety went away. It has been gone for about 3 weeks. I did have what HAD to be a night sweat about 4 weeks ago. I woke up drenched!!! Then today I broke out in a sweat for no reason a couple of times this morning. My anxiety was right there with it!!! I'm thinking these were hot flashes! How do you know. I never felt like this before! Also I read in a book that if you have your uterus removed but still have your overies that within two years your overies will quit working because the blood supply has been cut off. I only asked a couple of doctors but they said no, not true. Then why does the book say it. I'm just so tired and confused. Any comments would really be appreciated!
Rita
Rita
On Fire!

Postby minniepauz » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:44 pm

Rita, welcome to our little corner of the world ...some of us are a little confuse, a little crazy and lots of us are experiencing the anxiety along with the panic.....it's like all the puzzle pieces are there, but none of them fit and it takes a long time for some of us to finally see the big picture....it's all part of the changing process.

First comes peri-menopause with a whole mixture of symptoms like irregular periods, then everything else seems to act up, get better and then something else starts happening.

I know it's hard not to get exact answers, but just knowing that you're not alone and that you can ask questions of other women, hopefully will give you some peace of mind. Have you tried going to a chiropractor? Maybe getting away from all the medications and having a more natural treatment will be what you need.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Rita » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:27 pm

Thank you so much for your response. Yes I am only seeing a holistic doctor now. He has been the greatest help in supplying me with vitamins and minerals which had taken away all of the anxiety until today when I had what I believe to be hot flashes. So should I assume that I have perimenopause and that blood tests don't reveal that only menopause? Thanks again for your help.
Rita
Rita
On Fire!

Postby drjudy » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:44 pm

Dear Rita,

Your book is correct; many women do experience diminishing ovarian function after a hysterectomy where the ovaries have been left behind. I think the numbers I've read are 25% after 6 months and 40% after 3 years with decreased ovarian function or outright menopause.

You are the right age and right situation for a hot flash. What you are describing are hot flashes. Must be hot flashes! A lack of estrogen or fluctuating estrogen levels also contribute to anxiety. The hormonal shifts may not be the only reason why you are anxious, but they are certainly aggravating the situation.

Ask your doctor about using a lowish dose of estrogen, preferable as a patch in order to maintain even levels that would best support your mood. You are at an age where many women still have full levels of estrogen, and likely lower levels are part of your misery. There is much data to support the safe use of hormones in younger women, particularly after they've had a hysterectomy and therefore do not need to use progesterone with the estrogen.

You should be able to feel better than you do. I'm glad you've worked hard as your own advocate to get answers from a number of different vantage points. Since thus far the therapies have not been completely helpful, it would be a good time to try something new.

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby Rita » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:21 pm

Thank you so much for your help. I sincerely apprecitate it.
Rita
Rita
On Fire!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause