night chills??

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

night chills??

Postby KayB » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:51 pm

I'm new here, 48 yrs old, and wondering if perimenopause is in ??? Did anyone have hormone levels tested and if so, can perimenopause be revealed in that?

I have a ?? about night chills--I get these periodically--sometimes once a week, sometimes skipping a few. I do NOT sweat--I just wake up feeling very cold. Normally, I sleep with just a sheet covering my lower half. I don't like lots of covers, but when I get a night chill I need a warmer cover 'til it subsides. No sweating though!!
KayB
Combustible

re: hormone levels

Postby enough already » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:47 pm

Hi. I just talked to my doctor about getting my levels checked. She didn't think it was a great idea because apparently your levels can fluctuate greatly from one day to the next. The results according to her may not be very accurate. I have heard the same opinion from a few other people as well. Who knows....all this seems to be one big huge guessing game - at least until it's (peri I mean) FINALLY over!!!.
enough already

Postby Ms. Shapen » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:20 pm

I have read the same thing, that blood tests are inconclusive.

I guess that makes all of us women one big mystery. :wink:
Pauz-ing to remember what I was going to do next . . . *sigh* :D
Ms. Shapen
Hot Pauzer

Postby Iradan » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:31 pm

Ms. Shapen wrote:I have read the same thing, that blood tests are inconclusive.

I guess that makes all of us women one big mystery. :wink:

I can second this, all the docs been telling me that hormonal profiles at perimenopause are useless because hormones fluctuate widely through the cycle, this is why it feels like never -ending PMS.
I do have sometimes chills, but during the day. Feeling cold is a sing of fshifting hormones, I've read, that regulate body temperature.
Good luck,
I.
Iradan

Postby KayB » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:43 pm

Now that makes sense re shifting hormones. The last time I was tested, at my annual exam in March of this year, they were "normal"..

The way I describe these night chills is exactly what happened to me all 3 times after our children were born, usually within the first few weeks of being home from the hospital... It was the exact same feeling--no sweating, just needing to get covered up and get warm... I get hot very easily and always, even in winter, keep just a sheet over my lower half...

It's been interesting reading all the posts on this forum as some sound so much like what I am going through..
KayB
Combustible

Postby Iradan » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:14 pm

Kay B, our homrones drop like a stone after child borth, so there we go. I've read that estrogen drop in particular is responsible for the body temperature regulation.
Iradan

Postby minniepauz » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:15 am

I have heard all the same things as you ladies ..... that the tests aren't reliable, that one kind is better than the other (urine vs. blood, etc), that some doctors won't even order tests because of the fluctuation and then, that knowing the various levels of our hormones can help with knowing whether we are estrogen deficient or estrogen dominant..... that's still only a small percentage of opinions out there today!

Now I will ask you if you would feel better at least knowing that SOMETHING is going on? So many doctors have told women they're too young for peri-menopause, when obviously there's something hormonal going on. What about the home tests that at least would indicate that something is going on? At least it might get some women to see their doctors to rule out other problems or it just might make us say, "ok, according to what I've read, it's very possible I'm starting into peri-menopause".

What do you all think?
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause