Anyone taking Prozac

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Anyone taking Prozac

Postby renee » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:11 pm

I was wondering if any of you ladies going through this wonderful perimenapausal depression and feelings of feeling like POOP most of the time, are taking prozac? If so is it helping? Side effects? Weight gain?
I have been going through this for quite a long time w/o drugs.....except hbp meds.It may be time to try something. Tired of feeling like nothing matters. My husband and I are building a new house,and I should be sooooo excited about it,but I just don't seem to care.
I know there are allot of women out there going through this,so any comments would be very much appreciated. Thanks so much.
renee

Postby Hopefully » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:14 pm

I think I read your post on the Health Board site. I was going to reply there, but I'd rather do it here :).

I take Wellbutrin XL 150 mg and it has helped me with my perimenopausal symptoms. When I first got on this rollercoaster ride I tried Sarafem (Prozac), Zoloft, Celexa, Paxil, Lexapro and a few others, but I just could not tolerate any SSRI antidepressants. Let me think...the only one that caused me to gain weight was Lexapro.

I must say that I found it easy to wean from Prozac without any withdrawal effects.

This is a good site with supportive women many who can probably give you additional information about their experience with Prozac.
Hopefully
Combustible

Postby colopam » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:45 pm

I took Serafem for awhile following a year from h-ll including moving across the country to a place where I knew no one, got married, inherited a rebellious 15 y/o changing jobs and my mother dying. It did take off the edge but didn't leave me unfeeling. I found that I would have to take it early in the a.m. because I had trouble sleeping while taking it, I compromised and took it every other day (I know weird but it worked) and left it behind about 3 mo's later. I've been starting to experience some anxiety attacks followed by a deep sadness and have started to chart this to see what (if any) pattern there is. I'm all for antidepressants but be very aware of what you're feeling (not feeling) and any physical changes, your doc should be able to adjust your script. Good Luck!! Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby renee » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:49 pm

Hopefully and Colopam,
Thank-you so much for your replies. I think I will go ahead and try the Prozac. Good idea to keep track of my emotions while on it. Hopefully they will go from sad to happy :D
renee

Postby Hopefully » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:14 pm

Renee, keep posting and let us know how you are progressing.
Hopefully
Combustible

Postby colopam » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:20 pm

DITTO!!!

My thoughts are with you!
HUgs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause