What type of headaches do you get with peri?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

What type of headaches do you get with peri?

Postby bonsachangin » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:14 pm

Can someone explain to me what type of headaches you now get in peri menopause. I have been having a constant pressure almost like i am wearing a cap. Also at times when I stand I get a throb and pain in the top of my head and my hearing fluctuates. This usually last for less than a minute. I then will have a dull headache for about and hour.

I have seen a neurologist and had an mri and the mri did have white spots unspecified were noted. But neuro said she considered that to be normal with hypertension. My pcp says my bp isn't high enough for this to be the cause of my headaches.

I am in peri now, my periods come about every three months. So is it possible this is another symptom of perimenopause? I am 49 and this all started within the last year. Tell me how long does this last and where do I get the menopause be gone pill? You know the one time only pill that makes all of this go away after you take it. Thanks! Bonnie
bonsachangin
Hot Pauzer

Postby colopam » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:02 am

Good Morning!
I've almost ALWAYS have gotten pre-TOM headaches and still do tho they've started a couple of days earlier lately. I just hope they never turn into a migraine (ick!)
Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:00 pm

Here's some good info about the different types of headaches....most of them are related to hormones, of course!

http://www.headaches.org/consumer/educa ... types.html
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby drjudy » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:09 pm

Dear Bonnie,

It sounds like you are having mixed headaches--tension-type (like a cap around your head) and vascular (throbbing and intensifies with position change). One aggravates the other, and vascular (also known as migraine) headaches are definitely worsening with fluctuating levels of estrogen.

A study was conducted to see if persons with hypertension could predict whether or not their blood pressure was elevated based on symptoms such as headache. There was no correlation whatsoever. I am concerned, however, that you have white spots on your MRI--seen as bright areas in the part of the brain underlying the cortex or surface--at your age. These are felt to represent tiny strokes due to changes in the small blood vessels due to hypertension, elevated cholesterol, and the sort of inflammatory changes that occur with pre-diabetes, diabetes, or smoking. Over time, they can lead to neurological problems as the white areas are occurring in the part of the brain where one nerve cell hooks up with others. They are common after years of hypertension, but they are not "normal."

I hope your neurologist or PCP helps you to make sure that all your risk factors for stroke are addressed, namely your blood pressure is well-controlled, your cholesterol is good, your blood sugar is normal, and that you are eating well and exercising. While these white spots are not causing any trouble (including headaches) now, you want to do all you can not to develop more.

If you find that menopause-be-gone pill (have you googled it?), let us know!!

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby bonsachangin » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:30 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies. Dr. Judy I am currently on a new bp med Diovan HCT. I just started last week, so far no side effects. I will begetting a thourough blood work up next week to address the other issues you have mentioned.

I have started a new walking regiment and have started doing Yoga again. I am aware of the risk factors with the mild white matter disease due to my own research and quite franly it does scare me. So I realize that how my health is going to go in the future is up to me. Thank you for being concerned Up to now I haven't gotten much direction from my physicians. They seem to be telling me it is nothing to worry about. You are the first physician to lay it out there and tell me what I think I already knewbut really needed to hear. Thanks again to all of you. Bonnie
bonsachangin
Hot Pauzer

My Headaches

Postby scooby666 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:48 pm

I am glad I found the headache posts...now at least I can understand why mine are happening....I am trying to get my Dr. to see me before the 28th, of course all they say is, "We'll call you if something comes open." I found that site enlightening.....But I am curious....will it help get rid of the greys?.... :lol:
hypocondria is all in my mind....
scooby666

Postby colopam » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:38 am

Scoob
No but it make 'em funnier sometimes

Hugs Pam
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby parts2you » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:49 pm

i was glad to find this post tonight......i have suffered with headaches my whole life,off and on. but more so,and more painful the past four,five peri-men years. mri s and cts were always normal. i spoke of this before,how awhile back,at my wits end one day with a bad one,including dizziness (more of an off balance thing),an er doctor suggested a low dose water pill. it really seemed to help. i still got them,but not nearly as often...or as bad.
the beginning of october,for some unknown,actually un-remembered (!) reason,i stopped taking them. by the middle of november,they were slowly but surely starting again,along with the off balance,not being able to focus. etc.....so i refilled the srcipt....last friday,about two weeks into them,i had another really bad episode after a few prior days of mild....and the sensation was exactly as the first person here described--like a tight swimming cap on the top of my head!! on sunday i went to an urgent care,because i couldnt take it anymore. i got stuck with a pa-c,who rushed me in and out,would not listen to anything i said,and sent me away in ten minutes tellilng me to take ibuprofen and a decongestant,even though she said she saw no sinus problems.......on monday, i called and reported my still throbbing head,and my displeasure and saw another doctor at no charge. who apoligized for the way i was treated. and told me to try taking four ibuprofan three times a day,and if that didnt work,he prescribed a headache med for me. i told him about the water pills,and asked if he thought my stopping them had brought it on,and maybe i didnt have enought built up in my system yet?? he said he had never heard of using water pills for this,and couldnt see how it would help,. but awhile later,he did say if i felt it helped to certainly stay with them.i was just reading my old post when i first was put on them and even dr judy had said she agreed they could be helpful.
well anyway, i am rambling here...but i was just relieved to see what i have been experienceing described exactly as i felt it! i was feeling absolutely great till this bout hit,and it is not totally gone......but has eased up some...to the point that i have only taken two of the headache pills in the past week. i also notice that when i get these headaches,besides the off balance,unable to concentrate,etc at the peak of them,i get very depressed.amd very irritable. after a few days of the intenisty,i am then exhausted which lasts for more days.
i did notice too that right before this latest phase,i was getting hot flashes like crazy and i had not had much problems with them.its been just over a year since my last period,so i guess as i have read here,im done,but my hormones arent quite settled yet!! which is comforting,compared to being scared that your head is hemorhaging or ya got a brain tumour or somethin!!!!!! thanks for listening to my fuzzy headed rant!
parts2you
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:50 am

Hi there parts....I hope you've found some continuing relief from the headaches with the water pills. Here's something I found that might explain why they seem to help:
"Diuretics (water pills) are used in the treatment of high blood pressure and heart failure because they eliminate excess body water and sodium (salt). With reduction in the fluid volume in the system, which will help lower the blood pressure, patients may sometimes feel dizzy."

Now I'm not a doctor of course, but it seems that blood pressure would have something to do with headaches, migraines included....so if the water pills help lower blood pressure, that should help relieve the migraine, right? :)

Also, I don't recall if you have tried taking magnesium, but it does help some women with migraines and then there's this article about COQ10
http://headaches.about.com/cs/preventio ... _prev.htm#

I have more info on my site about both:
http://www.minniepauz.com/COQ10.html
http://www.minniepauz.com/menopause-sym ... aines.html
minniepauz
Site Admin

thanks minnie

Postby parts2you » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:06 am

u have so much patience listening to my rants......well,its been a couple weeks without much of headaches at all....so we'll see how it goes. i had gone for months without them,and that is what i am hoping for..especially since the meds the doctor gave me did nothing for the headaches,just made me really sleepy! i will keep the cq stuff in mind,and probably wouldnt hurt to start taking the calcium with mag that i have,but am slack about taking!!
parts2you
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:19 am

I know what you mean about taking stuff on a regular basis, I'm the same way even when I know it will help. I'll go around with a headache for 3 days before remembering to take a couple of aspirin!

Just make a special effort to try some of that stuff when you feel it coming on. I would try each one alone so you make sure you know what works.

Have a beautiful and headache-free Christmas!!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby colopam » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:22 am

Until fairly recently I would suffer with a headache wondering if it was a migraine putting off taking anything for it until it was late in the game, well not any more and my suffering is down. I also used to keep the Imitric at home in the bathroom but have gotten to carrying one around in my purse, gee something you'd think would be so simple!! I'm also very aware of ingredients in things that could trigger some of them. For example I caught on that I'd ALWAYS get a migraine after drinking Arizona Green Tea, turns out that Splenda can cause migraines!! (so can aspartame in some people) so that was an easy fix!

HUgs Pam
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Here's some additional info about migraines:

http://www.mercola.com/2007/jan/25/safe ... raines.htm
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Zetti » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:22 pm

I actually get *fewer* migraines (knocking on fake wood) now. Used to get a menstrual migraine pretty reliably at the last stage of nearly every period.

Even tried a shot of botox for them, didn't help.

Now they are few and far btwn.
Zetti
Combustible

Postby colopam » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:33 pm

Zetti

Yeah!!!!! I'm a hopin for that too!!

Hugs Pam
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Next

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause