It's 2:15 a.m. and I'm rambling on and on

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

It's 2:15 a.m. and I'm rambling on and on

Postby bonsachangin » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:39 am

Hello everyone,

I am sitting here with my blanket over my lap for the moment. In a litttle whil I will be jerking the blanket off because I will be to hot. Oh and guess what else, I can't sleep. Every time I start to doze off I will jerk awake. I knew about the hot flashes but these chills are throwing me for a loop. Do others experience the waves of hot and cold and does anything help.

Some days are worse than others and today is a doozy (did I mention the headache?). When I saw my gyno in July I asked about hrt and HE said I wasn't anywhere near there yet. He recommended low dose birth control pills. Does this help with any symptoms or does it only regulate periods? Because to be honest the lack of a period is the one positive in all of this.

Well I seem to be rambling on and on so I better stop. Hmmm! Is rambling another symptom of menopause? Or is it because it is after 2:00 A.m. and I am very tired? Thanks! Bonnie
bonsachangin
Hot Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:11 am

Hang in there, Bonnie, and work with your doc.....at least give it a chance. It does sound like you're in the throes of peri-menopause and bc pills are known to help regulate the periods AND help with the hot flashes in some cases.

You might want to try upping your calcium and magnesium intake to help with the insomnia and the headaches. Here's some good info: http://www.minniepauz.com/calcium.html
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby colopam » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:19 am

Bonnie
I haven't really had the flashes (knock on wood) only the warmies but the past couple of days I've had coolies (not really chills but feeling cool,here in hot humid Tampa!) DH thinks I'm crazy, but I'll take these over the flashes. I've had problems with insomnia and have found that the calcium/magnesium helps and when I get the anxiety attacks (only a few) or really can't get any rest I've found "Calms Forte", found it at CVS. It's homeopathic and I don't have to take it all the time just when I need a little help and so far so good only a couple of "early wakings" not like before.
Hugs Girl, take care!
Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby bonsachangin » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:12 pm

Thank you Minnie and Pam. Well today is another day and I do feel better until next time. I was pretty depressed last night or should I say this morning. It helped just to get up and post my thread I was able to go to sleep around 3:00 a.m. I managed to get about 4 hours sleep.

You both mentioned magnesium. I have been for the last 3 nights drinking Natural Calm. It states on jar that it is an anti stress drink, balances you calcium intake and restores healthy magnisium levels. I put about 1 teaspoon in a cup of water (which is about 207mg of magnesium). Have you heard of it? Would you suggest another type of supplement?

Thanks again for your kind words of support. Bonnie
bonsachangin
Hot Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:11 am

Bonnie....you need to give any supplement a few weeks before determining whether it's effective or not. I looked this one up and it could very well be something good, but we're going to rely on you to let us know if you notice an improvement, ok? I noticed they also have calcium/magnesium combinations which I might personally prefer.

Here's an interesting page on how much magnesium we need, etc:
http://www.immunesupport.com/library/sh ... fm/id/2892

I keep reading that our magnesium levels are related to fibromyalgia too.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby drjudy » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:07 am

Hi Bonnie,

Thank heavens for the better days! I gather from your posting that you are done with periods? What makes your doctor think that you are not ready to consider some hormonal support through this difficult transition?

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby bonsachangin » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:35 am

Dr. Judy,
Dr. Judy,
I'm not completely done with periods the last one I had was June 9 and the one before tha that was April. This is the third month since the last one. I'm waiting to see if I have one so far I haven't gone without one for more than three months.

My Dr. didn't really give me a reason regarding the hrt. I'm 49 maybe it's my age Although after reading post on this site I'm seem to be the right age. I have a good friend who is an ob/gyn and she said she would personally start on hrt as soon as she could . I think you quote was "why put myslef through this". So when I started to have symptoms I asked him about hrt which was last year and he gave me the same answer. That he would recommend a low dose birth control pill. So I'm not sure.

I get the feeling he doesn't prescribe much until he feels he absolutely has to. I also asked him about xanex because I thought maybe that would help with the anxiety I seem to get with this. He said he doesn't prescribe that ever. He said as far as he is concerned it is legalized cocaine. I thought that was an odd statement. I felt like I was asking for an illegal drug. At what point do women usually start hrt? Thanks! Bonnie
bonsachangin
Hot Pauzer

Postby colopam » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:37 pm

Bonnie
BTW The Calms Forte helps with mild to moderate anxiety also (just adjust the dose).

Hugs Pam
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby Iradan » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:03 pm

Hi Bonnie:
I am 48 and have a bunch of unpleasant symptoms, feeling cold and chills is one them expecially before TOM. I also have this strange feeeling when I wake up from this jerk, usualy short after a fell asleep and very rare I have night sweats (again as TOM approaches). You should thank your doctor, conventional HRT poses a great risk of breast and endometrial cancer, blood clotting, etc. You may feel better while on it, but once you are off your symptoms will return. Try some herbs for insomina: valerian, chamomile, chaste berry, pepper mint, etc. There are good relaxing tea blends, I usually drink one before going to bed, and also valerian extract help with insomnica and anxiety. 5-HTP works well before bedtime. Alcohol and caffein at dinner may cause this "jerky" awakeness too, and aggrave your symothoms in general. I too have anxiety, panic attacks, digestive issues and I am afraid that this transition may last much longer. But I would never consider conventional HRT, only bioidentical. may be progesteron cream will help you, it has a mild sedative and calming effect.
Hopefully, once the hormones settle at a low level, all this nightmare will stop.
HTH,
Iradan
Iradan

Postby drjudy » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:43 am

Dear Bonnie,

The decision to start HRT, or not, is very individualized, taking into consideration symptoms, personal and family history, and the goals for treatment. It's not necessarily forever, or for everybody, but some women truly feel lousy without estrogen, and symptoms of estrogen deficiency can definitely start before the periods stop.

While low-dose birth control pills may be a good solution for some, particularly those not yet fully into menopause who require ongoing birth control, I've found that women like you, not yet fully into menopause, may benefit from low-dose estrogen support.

Iradan, I agree that hormone therapy may pose some risks, but I disagree with your use of the word 'great' with respect to the level of risk associated with its use. Certainly, full dose therapy with Premarin and Provera given to women years past menopause, many of whom were already in their 60's and 70's, was a bad strategy. Studies indicate, however, that women within several years of their last period can safely use hormones, and the blanket refusal of some doctors to prescribe any amount of hormones for any reason to any women has left many miserably symptomatic with life-altering symptoms.

Nothing complicated about this phase of life, is there?

Best,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby bonsachangin » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:01 pm

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I have much to think about. At least I know I'm not alone in this. Pam I think I will try the Calms Forte it sounds like it has possibilities. I will let you know how I do. Thanks again. Bonnie
bonsachangin
Hot Pauzer

Postby colopam » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:45 am

Bonnie
I found it in the analgesics aisle around the night- time Tylenol etc. Good luck and keep us updated 'k?
HUgs Pam
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby Iradan » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:52 pm

Bonnie:
Sometimes what we think as sympthoms of estrgoen deficiency are rather sympthoms of unopposed estrogen or progesteron deficiency due to anovulatiion or less ovulating cycle. While it's true that estrogen drops to a level that prevents procreation, progesteron drops almost to zero. This imbalance is what causing all the troubles, not the estrogen level per se. While adrenals can make some of the estrogen and progesteron, this puts a higher demand on adrenalglands and leads to so called adrenal exhaustion, causing anxity, panic attacks, insomnia, etc.
Here are some links on the subject, I would also suggest to read Dr.Lee's book "What is your doctor may not tell you about menopause". There is another one about perimenopause by the same author.
http://www.holistic-online.com/Remedies/hrt/hrt_progesterone.htm
http://www.holistic-online.com/Remedies/hrt/hrt_estrogen.htm
http://www.holistichealthtools.com/meno.html
http://www.holistichealthtools.com/truth-about-progesterone.html
Consider, that neither BCP or HRT is not advaisable to be used for a long term, once you are off HRT or the pill, your symptoms will return. Taking it for a long term, IMHO is too risky. If you can manage your sympthoms by modifying your diet and lifestyle: eating no processed sugars and fast/junk food, lots of vegetables and fruit, enough protein adn good fats, avoiding caffein and alcohol, taking more time for yourself, exercising, using right herbs and supplements, it's better to get by without any exogenious hormones, even bioidentical. Some of your sympthoms can be due to hypothyrodism: insomnia and feeling cold, headaches, which is also common around menopause and mimcs some of the menopausal sympthoms as well. I can ony say that progesteron cream is a great aid for insomina and anxiety alone. JMHO.
Best,
Iradan
Iradan

Postby minniepauz » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:53 pm

Since most of us are not physicians around here, we can only speak of our own experiences and recommend as much balanced information that is available. Any comments or suggestions given here are for educational purposes only and not to be used as a substitute for talking with your doctor. If your symptoms are severe, please seek medical assistance.

I am aware that progesterone has done wonders for a lot of women, but it's not the answer for all women. I've heard just as many women say that it did nothing for them or created a whole new set of problems, so let's always qualify our recommendations that YRMV.....your results may vary. :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby bonsachangin » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:04 am

Minnie and everyone,
I just wanted to give you an update. I had mentioned Natural calm and minnie you said it takes a few weeks to see any improvements with supplements. I just wanted to let you know that Iam still taking the Natural Calm and I have noticed an improvement. I am sleeping much better now, I haven't had any ramblings at 2:15 a.m. I had actually gotten to the point that I dreaded going to bed because I knew I would just lay there awake all night. Now I have no problem falling to sleep (so far) and I don't wake up until morning. I don't know if it will help everyone, but I can say for sure right now it is helping me and I am keeping my fingers crossed it will continue to do so.

I don't seem to have as many hot and cold flashes and my internal shaking is definitely not a nightly experience anymore. There are still a lot of strange issues with my body going on. But I find that it helps to cope with these issues if you are well rested. I still haven't had any periods since June 9. I take that back I had one day in October I had a little spotting (and I do mean just a little) Is this considered a peririod? I have an order from Dr. for fsh. Will this tell me anything at this stage of the game?

I want to thank every body for being there for me on that night I was so depressed. I guess I am still rambling so I better go. Take care!

Bonnie
bonsachangin
Hot Pauzer

Quick Reply

Next

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause