This may seem like a silly question....

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

This may seem like a silly question....

Postby susansilver » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:22 pm

I am taking birth control pills and I am sure that I am perimenopausal! Will my periods become irregular and then stop even though I am on the pill? They have definitely become lighter and shorter, and sometimes I get it a day or so later than I did before.

How does being on the pill affect menopuase?

Thanks,

Susan
susansilver

Postby minniepauz » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:51 pm

Hi Susan, welcome to Minnie Pauz!! Sorry no one has responded to your question yet. Sometimes one or two get overlooked. :) Usually, Dr. Judy has the best explanation for those kind of questions, but it will help if you could give a little more information, such as how old you are, when you started on the b/c pills, have you spoken to your doctor about your symptoms....etc. Just so Judy can be more clear as to where you are in this process....it does sound like you're beginning peri-menopause though!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby drjudy » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:18 pm

Hi Susan,

Some women find that the pill smoothes out the hormonal fluctuations of perimenopause so they cannot tell at all when their natural periods would've stopped. Clues that you are finally 'there' do come from changes in the quality of your periods, or symptoms developing in the week off the pill such as hot flashes, night sweats, or migraines.

Women who are doing well on the pill, and have no cardiovascular risks such as hypertension, history of clots, or cigarette use, are often left on the pill until their early fifties, then tapered off through a low dose hormone therapy to either quit hormones altogether or to stay for awhile on hormone supplements, depending on their wishes and their health history as considered with their physician.

Some women are so symptomatic on the week off the pill that their doctor may suggest taking the pill without a break between cycles, or using a low dose of estrogen to support their levels between pill cycles.

You should definitely bring your questions to your next visit with your physician.

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby susansilver » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:18 am

Thank you both. I am 45 and have been experiencing these symptoms for a few years now. Especially the darn hot flashes!!!! When I spoke to my GP about it a couple of years ago, she just said yes you are probably approaching menopause - no big deal and that was it! I am planning to see her and will speak about this more in depth.

Meanwhile, I will be reading this board!

Thanks,

Susan
susansilver

Postby Coping » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:11 pm

I am one of those folks who benefited greatly from low dose BCP. My perimenopause cocktail includes blood pressure medicine (which I never had problems with until my periods went haywire), 10 mg antidepressant, and BCP. They were introduced slowly and in that order. The BCP made the biggest difference and I find I miss them the most if I miss a day. I wish I had known to start there but I feel 90% better 90% of the time and I'm not willing to upset the apple cart! Best wishes.
Coping
Hot Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:16 pm

Thanks for that valuable contribution, Coping!! :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause