So glad to find you!

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

So glad to find you!

Postby mawd » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:40 pm

Hi all! I am so glad to have found this site! I had looked on different occasions for a such a site as this. I feel better to read about others and their situations. As you know, makes me feel less crazy!

Here is my story/question. I am 45, I have been experiencing various perimenopausal symptoms for a few years (at least in retrospect). Irregular bleeding, insomnia/interrupted sleep, moodiness, memory problems, low energy, weight gain, eyes going wacky, peeing all the time. Last year I went to a new gyn who put me through a battery of tests- Blood tests, endo biopsy, ultrasounds, sonohysterogram (sp?). All were negative, although I think the blood tests may have indicated I was perimenopausal. The reason for the testing was that I was having very short cycles (2 periods, usually very heavy bleeding in a month). Her concern was to check for cancer or any uterine abnormality as the short cycles could mean too much estrogen. We tried a course of prometrium which did not help. She wanted to up the dose, but I did not like how I felt on it. She also wanted to do a D @ C as well as to go in with a scope (because the sono could not view one area of the uterus). I did not want to go that far as she would need to put me under and I just did not like that idea at all. Then, things seemed to calm down. My last ultrasound was in Feb of this year for unexplained pain and to check on a fibroid that was noted in a previous ultrasound. The results were normal. Now, my last period was in July, very heavy as usual. Then in August, nothing. I have never missed before except when I was pregnant. I took 2 EPT tests about a week apart which were negative. Then about 2 1/2 weeks ago I started spotting daily. It is not a large amount, there is a bit more after sex however. And I feel like I am getting my period, crampy, bloated. I did speak with the nurse prac. Her suggestion was to see if I get a period this month and if not to go from there.

Any way, I guess I am just nervous and wanted to get some feedback. My mother died at age 49 from metaticized (sp?) breast cancer that she first had at age 32. Back then they did the mastectomy and hysterectomy for treatment, so I do not have history there. I am also an 'old' mom. I have 4 kids ages 9 to 4. Most of my fellow moms are a good 10 years or more younger, so no experience there to ask about. I just feel so alone in this and confused, and worried. That's why I was so happy to find this site. I feel less alone. I hate the thought of going through all the testing and the waiting for results. But I know I am so lucky to be able to have access to them.

Well, thanks for listening. I appreciate it. Have a good weekend everyone.
mawd

Postby minniepauz » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:25 am

Welcome aboard, mawd!! We're glad you found us too. :) We are empowered by combining our experiences and comforting each other!

You should also check out the "Pauzers with Youngin's" section of the board. :) Now stop thinking of yourself as an "old" mom!! You're a WISER Mom or an EXPERIENCED Mom or even an "oldER" Mom, but these days you're not OLD until you're at least 85 (and there's some who don't feel old even then!!)

Hang in there...you're probably well within the normal range of peri-menopause and just need to understand what's going on, which you are getting your education on that and will feel better for it! :) Sounds like you have a good doc who is covering all the bases, so try to keep positive thoughts about your test results and remember that you're not alone since you found us!! :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause