How are you dealing with the anxiety?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

How are you dealing with the anxiety?

Postby Hopefully » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:45 am

I'm home today from work because this anxiety was simply ridiculous this morning. I would like to know how other women are dealing with the anxiey...what are you taking that helps?

I have not had a period in 54 days, which is wonderful, but it appears that the daily anxiety has replaced the period (not a good trade). Along with getting up 4-5 times a night going to the restroom.

Please tell me that others know what I'm talking about?:!: :?:
Hopefully
Combustible

Postby minniepauz » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:39 pm

I know we have a huge section about anxiety, but I can't find it right now...try using the search feature above. Just type in anxiety and you'll get bunches of threads where it was talked about.

Hope you're feeling better soon. I think it's a good idea to look at many different ways to manage the anxiety. The first thing is recognizing that's what it is...that usually helps lessen the attack. I've also heard that breathing exercises are a big help and then positive affirmations to block the anxious thoughts, which will then help slow down the physical reaction.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby bonsachangin » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:16 pm

Hopefully,

I am going through the same thing right now. I have been trying to exercise more which does seem to help. I got a good Yoga DVD which helps as well. The tape not only concentrates on the stretching, but the relaxation aspect as well. I agree with Minnie breathing exercises do help. Yoga helps me with this as well. I have also been trying to not fight it . When I say this I mean, I except it for what it is and try and talk my self out of it when I have an attack. I find it is harder when I try to fight it, it just seems to make it worse. I will also log on to this site at times because it helps to know I am not alone. (and neither are you)

My Dr. has given me lexapro, which I have put off taking until I have exhausted all the other avenues. But believe me I will take it if it comes to that. I hope some of these suggestions help. I'm sure others have many good suggestions as well. Which I will be watching for with you. Take care! Bonnie
bonsachangin
Hot Pauzer

Postby CathyW » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:54 pm

Anxiety has been a real struggle for me with this peri craziness. The only thing that I have found to help at all is exercise. Not much energy for anything too drastic but just going for a walk everyday can help very much.
Cathy
born 1960/peri/fibroids/hypothyroidism/on Disability because of FM
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby colopam » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:18 am

Hopefully
I've only had a couple of anxiety episodes and unfortunately all but one have happened at work (not normally an anxious person at all!) Someone rcommended "Calms Forte" found with the nighttime analgesics at the drug store. Depending on the dosage it helps take the ege off of the anxiety (esp. if the early signs are noticed) and can help immensely with insomnia at a bit higher dose. It's homeopathic and has helped me with my insomnia greatly and has made the anxiety manageable (at least for he time being !?!)
Exercising does help but when I'm in the middle of a big project at work that doesn't help LOL! My boss made me mad on top of my anxiety one time by bringing me a soda and a chocolate bar, he and another co-worker misunderstanding it to be a case of PMS, don't know why it should have embarrassed me except for adding to the feeling of being out of control. Oh well, I've decided that if it happens again at work I'll just go home. Otherwise I'll probably get so mad I'll tell him where to put his candy bar, hmpf not even one I like! LOL
HUgs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby Rita » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:37 pm

I have spent the last 10 months trying to get rid of my anxiety. I tried everything from antidepressants, therapy, vitamins and minerals etc. all which helped in their own way but it was always still there. I had blood tests which revealed I WASN'T going through menopause and my estrogen level tested low but within normal range. I truely thought I would lose my mind. It wasn't until I went to a doctor who didn't check anything and told me to try estrogen. It has worked like a miracle. I had the shot for one month and only on the oral form for 2 weeks. I never suspected that it was premenopausal yet this estrogen sure has made me feel like a "normal" person again. A web site that has helped me has been http://www.anxietyvictims.com. Good luck.
Rita
Rita
On Fire!

Postby minniepauz » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:26 pm

Rita, don't you feel that once you understand more about the anxiety and about peri-menopause, etc., that you are able to deal with it better?
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Rita » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:34 am

Yes Dee, it is so much easier to deal with when you know what the problem is. I just never imagined that for me this was a perimenopausal symptom, because I didn't pick up on any other symptom and no other doctor had suggested it was. Even after my doctor suggested I try it I was afraid that it wasn't that. I still am unsure if my "hotness" was just from anxiety/panic or hotflashes. He assured me that the estrogen wouldn't hurt me if I tried it. Also I was so tired I could hardly get through a day. Can't tell you how emotional I was. The estrogen helped with both of those too. Sorry to ramble on, just want to be able to help someone else if they are going through what I did so they may get some ideas.
Rita
On Fire!

Postby susansilver » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:36 am

Anxiety is totally insidious! A couple of things to try is a cognitive behavioural approach. First, you have to know that when you are having an anxiety attack the adrenaline is rushing through your system causing the heart pounding, rapid breathing etc. You physcially run out of adrenaline in about 20 minutes. So, it will end. It is only after that physical anxiety has passed can you then look logically at what is making you anxious and break it down into what is real and what is irrational. Then develop strategies for yourself that involve eventualities. For example, if you are anxious about feeling ill when you are out in public - then plan where the nearest washroom are etc.

Exercise and healthy eating definitley help and then of course there are meds! Personally, I have been on Effexor for anxiety and depression for the last few years. I am not ashamed to take them and am grateful that I can lead a normal life.

Take care,

Susan
susansilver

Postby Rita » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:59 pm

In response to what Susan said, antidepressants can help a great deal and I don't think she should be ashamed or anyone else who takes them. Her saying that the adrenaline will go away after 20 minutes, it may, but for me the anxiety was always there. I too had sessions of CBT, read numerous books, tried nearly everything. I still had to fight the anxiety daily eventhough I knew what was going on and how I was to handle it. It wasn't until I got the estrogen that I felt complete relief from the daily anxiety. Something I couldn't experience without the estrogen no matter how hard I tried.
Rita
Rita
On Fire!

Postby Hopefully » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:57 pm

Rita wrote:In response to what Susan said, antidepressants can help a great deal and I don't think she should be ashamed or anyone else who takes them. Her saying that the adrenaline will go away after 20 minutes, it may, but for me the anxiety was always there. I too had sessions of CBT, read numerous books, tried nearly everything. I still had to fight the anxiety daily eventhough I knew what was going on and how I was to handle it. It wasn't until I got the estrogen that I felt complete relief from the daily anxiety. Something I couldn't experience without the estrogen no matter how hard I tried.
Rita

What type of estrogen are you using to rid yourself of anxiety? For the last 3 days I've been trying compounded bi-est and progesterone and I feel simply horrible.
Hopefully
Combustible

Postby Rita » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:08 am

I'm on prescription Premarin. Still going well for me.
Rita
Rita
On Fire!

Postby Hopefully » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:06 pm

I went 67 days without bleeding and now after 3 days of taking compounded estrogen and progesterone I'm now bleeding...or should I say spotting.

I decided to stop taking everything and I've left a message for the consultant at the compounding pharmacy. Needless to say I'm still dealing with:

1. Anxiety - feeling shaky and nervous inside, but no visible signs outside.
2. Off balanced - feel like I'm leaning and my legs feel wobbly.
3. Weird head pressure - not a headache, but more like someone is squeezing my head. Which causes tension in my neck.

Ugh!!!!!!! Any suggestions?
Hopefully
Combustible

Postby drjudy » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:16 pm

Hi Hopefully,

Are you working with a doctor as well as the pharmacist? It's so hard to sort out what's what this phase of life. Perimenopause is just like getting middle-aged, hurried, overextended, anxious, hypothyroid, or depressed. So figuring out the proper solution takes time and trials, and it's hard to stick with it.

It's not unusual to start with abnormal bleeding when using combination therapy. It can take months to resolve, and is a major reason why women don't stick with hormone therapy. I often like to just start estrogen alone for two months to allow women to experience the benefits without the aggravation of progesterone (spotting, breast tenderness, sleepiness, mood swings).

Your symptoms don't sound pleasant. Were they any better while you were on the hormones?

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby Hopefully » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:15 pm

Hello Dr. Judy. I'm working with my ob/gyn and a compounding pharmacy.

Since I still have my uterus is it safe to use only estrogen without the progesterone? Do you prescribe compounding hormones? I know some doctors don't.

I tried the CombiPatch for about a week. This might sound unusual, but the CombiPatch seem to eliminate the off balance and some of the anxiety when it was time for me to change the patch. I wondered if it was too strong since the first day of applying a new patch made me feel horrible (more anxiety, more wobbly feeling and off balanced).

Thanks for the encouragement.
Hopefully
Combustible

Quick Reply

Next

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause