Help. New here. Perimenopause, or am I just nuts?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Help. New here. Perimenopause, or am I just nuts?

Postby Mama Bear Howard » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:21 pm

Hi all, new here and SO glad to have found a place to share, ask questions, and maybe have someone pat me on the head and tell me I'm not totally insane.

I'm pretty certain it's perimenopause, but somewhere in the back of my head is this nagging feeling that I wouldn't be that lucky as to have an actual reason for turning into a complete basket case. This week-end was particularly bad - I cried in the supermarket because my 13 year old called me on my cell to inform me that I needed to give her a ride. That turned into "no one has any respect for my time, no one cares how utterly exhausted I am, etc., etc." followed by a crying jag. Fortunately my husband, who is now researching mental institutions, was there to hold me while I sobbed.

Here are my list of symptoms..... Hopefully someone will tell me I'm not nuts, and that something can be done (besides HRT cause that sends me into total anxiety)...

I'm 43
Mood swings (primarily anger and irritability combined with self pity)
Increased libido, but also vaginal dryness
Regular periods, however changes in duration and got cramps for the first time in YEARS.
Increased facial hair (ugh!)
Irregular sleep - not too bad.
Acne - what is up with THAT!!!
Gray hair coming in
No problems with weight yet. I exercise like a fiend though - running the L.A. marathon in March.
Depression - feeling like I just can't keep up.
Mental and physical fatigue
Memory loss - oy vey - I almost forgot to put that on the list!
Difficulty focusing

None of the above are consistent - 100% of the time. I feel like I'm all over the map. I was fine today, and then hubby just MENTIONED the week-end, and I could feel myself spiraling back into my little black hole again. Had to forcibly stop myself from going there.

Anyhow, babbling is another one of my symptoms. Feeling a lot like the Village Idiot. Hope you ladies can help. Nice to be here and thanks so much for listening to me babble.

Chelle
Mama Bear Howard

Postby colopam » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:23 pm

Hey Chelle!!!
Nope not co lucky as to be nuts! Just peri, The Minniepauz newsleter has a section of 35 symptoms (you've made a pretty good dent in them) so check it out, there's also a section for the men in our lives (these might not be bad to share with the rest of the family too, at least they won't think it's just them). Check out the rest of the message board and website, you've got alot of really great info and wonderful support from your Minniepauz sisters located here. Check out the comics, they'll make you feel better about alot of the symptoms, Dee's version of HRT (humor replacement therapy!!!)
Welcome!!!
Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby Mama Bear Howard » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:19 pm

Thanks Colopam! I'll check out the comics and newsletter right away - could definitely use some humor!

Chelle
Mama Bear Howard

Postby drjudy » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:55 pm

Dear Chelle,

It's amazing how teenagers can get under the skin of us mid-life moms. I've certainly come undone from brief encounters of the adolescent kind. I usually prefer the laundry room, however, to public places for weeping.

Not nuts, not a 'village idiot'--I like that imagery though--just a woman trying to cope with multiple demands while brain copes with hormonal fluctuations. I'm glad you've joined us here.

You probably have a ways to go, though, so hang on to your humor for the ride.

Best,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

46,,and I'm going thru it too...Ugh

Postby 3733wayne » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:37 pm

I have all what Mama Bear has,,My hair is falling out when I wash it,,tired all the time,anxiety for no reason,,crying at stuff on the tv,,my joints hurt,Very Moody,,forgetting things.I skip 2 or 3 months of my period,,then it will come on,and stay for 15 days!!!And I mean HEAVY,,I cant even go to the store,,afraid I'll leak...I hate that. My GYN Doctor,said,,Yep,Your in the Peri-menopause stage. I cant take Birth Control pills,,because of high blood pressure,,I'm on Lexapro,,see if that will lift my mood? I'll sweat at night,,I kick off the covers,,my face stays flushed all the time.At times I'll get dizzy.And I'm babysitting my granddaughter.I'm glad I found this site..Take Care All,,Love,Susan
3733wayne

Postby minniepauz » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:22 pm

Welcome to the forum, susan...we've been having terrible menopause symptoms here too! :) I guess hormones and technology don't mix well. I'm about to pull my hair out!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Yep, I'm Wacko too!!!

Postby enough already » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:11 am

Yeah, all of the above fit me and my life too!
Last week, I left our lovely family Sunday dinner (one of the few we eat together because of hectic schedules through the week) to put myself in a self-imposed TIME OUT!! My 18 year old had the nerve to make fun of the dinner music I had put on.... normally, I would have laughed too!!!
Not tonight though!!! How embarrassing to behave like a 2 year old having a temper tantrum. You know you are being completely irrational, yet are powerless to do anything about it. All you can do is apologize, don't try to explain, because you know no-one will understand and hopefully get a grip. Maybe medication IS the answer. Or Yoga. Or kickboxing!!!!
enough already

Postby minniepauz » Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:11 am

Hang in there Ladies....it really does get better! And just think, enough already, at least you knew what caused such behavior and you could address it. Some of us who went through this before the last 6 or 7 years ago didn't know what the hell had taken over our bodies and personalities!

It was 15 years ago for me (and I'm only 57) and I didn't have a clue. No one to talk to and not one doctor ever mentioned it or asked me questions. Afterall, I was only 42 so the thinking was there was NO WAY I could be starting the process of menopause.

The medical community has become educated along with us and today women have places to go and discuss all of it, like here!! I started Minnie Pauz about 9 years ago and almost every woman that found the site started off with "THANK GOD I FOUND YOU"!! The next phrase was...."I thought I was going crazy!"

You're in good hands here and there's stuff on the site to print out for your family that will help them get through this with you, not in spite of you. :) My theory is that HUMOR therapy is the best treatment, but you may decide that some supplemental drugs with the humor do it for you! You're the boss of you, so do what you have to! (jeez, there I go again, being so clever!)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause