Dr says no way...

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Dr says no way...

Postby quailsechoe » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:08 am

I went to the doctor today just KNOWING that I have perimenopause. He says, nope. Just depression. He didn't take any blood test, just looked at me and said, "you can't be in perimenopause. You're still regular, even though it's diminished considerably, it's regualr."

It was all I coiuld do not to burst into tears right then, when I've already had trouble all week not bursting into tears.

And what's crazy is that I've been in a fog for days and when I was waiting for the doctor to come into the office, it lifted. Just like that. He ignored all of what I had written down as symptoms and YES I've met all but THREE of the 35 you have listed. My libido didn't go down, it went skyrocketing UP.

Am I wrong to not just run out and fill the prescription he gave me? Am I wrong for trying natural remedies for right now and making an appt. with a gynecologist?

I have had a YEAR of this and I could not understand what was wrong with me. I was adopted and my biological mom passed away several years ago. And needless to say, my adoptive mom had NO symptoms because she's never had any changes in her body, which is why she couldn't have children. I had no one to turn to and for the longest time I wondered what was wrong with me. I was not my simple happy-go-lucky self and couldn't bounce back like I used to.

Am I wrong? Please, just tell me that it isn't simply depression. I know that I have it, but it doesn't feel like the depression I had once in my life. It feels VASTLY different.

I'm completely lost here, (in the fog I think) (and yeah, once I've done typing this, I'll forget that I did.) Do you have string to attach to this website so that all of us can get back to it???? If I make no sense, it's because I've been living on about 2-3 hours of sleep a night for a week and a half. Sorry! :)
quailsechoe
Warm Pauzer

Postby colopam » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:37 am

Quailsechoe
I answered your message on the intro thread but just had to continue here, I too have no roadmap as my mom and g-ma both had surgical menopause and claimed no menopausal symptoms but my DB's and I remember the raging etc so I don't think that was totally accurate. I actually had a Dr. say that a woman's experience couldn't be predicted by her female relatives menopause experience, what????? I too am still "regular" but the quality and duration have definately changed, I have had problems with insomnia (early waking, like 2:00!), anxiety, flooding etc..... I've had luck using Calms Forte for my anxiety and insomnia. A lot of women here have had luck with b-complex, evening primrose, calcium (another of my favs) helps. Do some reading on the boards, you'll find that just knowing you aren't alone is the biggest help. AND for heavens sake WHAT does the doc think, of course !! He'd be "depressed" (or seem like it) if he had all this going on too!!!!! Let him try living with no sleep ! (ok I'm stepping off my soapbox, I'm afraid of heights!)
Hang in here!!
Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby drjudy » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:04 pm

Dear QE,

The stupidest thing I ever said to a patient was telling a woman in her 40s with regular periods that she couldn't possibly be experiencing perimenopause. I was young then, and fortunately, she's continued to be my patient despite my totally discounting what she was feeling at that time.

I think you are experiencing depression, but I think hormonal changes are what has precipitated the mood troubles. While antidepressants might be helpful in stemming the tears and improving your sleep, I think a small dose of estrogen could make a world of difference. I have used a low dose estrogen patch in several women with troubles like yours, and they were pleased with the results.

Suzanne Somers' book "The Sexy Years" was surprisingly the eye-opener for me with respect to how a little estrogen can improve mood. I don't agree with all she says, but she certainly has done a lot for women to publicize the benefits of hormones at a time when a lot of doctors and women alike are afraid to use them. Another book you might find interesting is Dr. Elizabeth Lee Vliet's book "Screaming to be Heard."

I hope you are able to find some help from your doctor or another who will work with you through this difficult phase.

Best,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

New Dr. says absolutely!

Postby quailsechoe » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:12 pm

Thank you both for your help and support! I found a WONDERFUL doctor who is ALSO going through perimenopause. She is very VERY supportive (even told me that she hopes that I have a man to take out the excess libido on! LOL) I was put on progesterone. She told me that I have plenty of estrogen stored already in my body. (it stores in all the fat) and adding estrogen would eventually make all of my symptoms worse.

I wanted to ask Dr. Judy if she had read any of Dr. John Lee's books? They are incredibly astute, he lists ALL of his numberous references at the back, and very surprising.

The progesterone not only kicked my depression right in the old arse, it made my hair softer, cleared up acne, made my moods more stable, took away all of the aches and pains in my joints, is helping me to lose weight faster (with regular exercise) helped my digestive system, made me look YOUNGER (actually took some wrinkles away!) Made me more regular, made me HUNGRY for the first time ever in the mornings. I didn't have cramps for the first time in my life. My period was closer to NORMal than it has ever been. It made me sleep more regularly and restfully. I lost the fatigure that I have felt for the last year and more I won't even list. It's just incredible. Dr. Lee's books and information on the internet really tell it all.

Thank you again! Both of you!
Echoe, The blond rebel
perimenopause for 1 year/just shy of 41
quailsechoe
Warm Pauzer

Postby colopam » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:51 am

Quaileschoe
I JUST got the one about premenopause, and I have a Dr. appt. Feb 1st AND I have my list of 35 symptoms to take with me. Sounds like you've been having a positive experience! Yeah for that victory, keep us updated on the way things go, you know that you'll be helping others out ther with your experience.
Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby drjudy » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:46 pm

I'm glad you are having such a positive experience with progesterone. I have read both of Dr. Lee's books, and find them very clearly written and informative. My experience has been that progesterone is very helpful in perimenopause to balance the excessive estrogen raging about the body.

I do think he discounts the enormous contribution of estrogen, however, and is doing a disservice to women who suffer from the lack of this hormone as menopause progresses. But any books, such as Dr. Lees' and Suzanne Sommers', that opens a discussion about hormones at a time when women and doctors alike are worried and confused, is a wonderful asset to us all.

Best,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause