New here... first dr appt on 21st

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

New here... first dr appt on 21st

Postby keyholes » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:03 am

Hi! I'm sooooooooo glad I found this place. I thought I was going crazy.

I'm almost 46 and swear I've been going through peri now for at least 3 years. I thought the first two were having to deal with a really nasty divorce and the stress of having gone through two major job changes.

But I read the list of symptoms, and boy do I have them. Mood swings, my cycles vary from 25 to 60 days, my skin is so dry I want to crawl out of it, acne outbreaks (yeah, even with the dry skin!!), bouts of insomnia and then bouts of extreme fatigue when I do get my period. My weight though has been relatively stable, but having periodic bouts of bloating/minor weight gain. I am so spacy and forgetful at times it's driving me nuts!! I have a real techy job too, so I *have* to be really alert. :roll: The list goes on...

I really feel like a freak, and since I'm divorced and single, not a whole lot of support here. :( My kids think I'm crazy. I think I'm driving the guy I'm dating nuts. I still make sure I get lots of exercise by hiking or doing the treadmill several times a week.

Any advice on how/what to talk about with my doc? When I started having irregular periods several years ago, my doc wanted to put me on Sarafem (prozac) saying it was just the stress and aftershock of all the baloney I went through with my divorce. But, now I'm not so sure... life is actually much better for me overall. I didn't fill the script for the Serafem and just dealt with the depression by exercising and making sure I had a social life/friends around. This isn't a whole lot of fun, though! I finally got a period yesterday after a 57 day cycle and a seriously difficult slump of depression/PMS. And it was like the flood gates on the Nile opening up... in public, how embarassing. I definitely was never like this when I was younger, and never was so moody, either.

Am I just nuts or what?
keyholes

Postby colopam » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:44 am

Keyholes
Welcome!! Be sure to print out the symptoms list and check off the ones that apply, try to mark frequency and duration etc. and take it to your appointment, it'll help keep the appointment on track and you'll probably get more answers (otherwise I usually leave and think of more questions! I HATE that!). You're in good company here.
HUgs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:15 am

keyholes, besides printing out the symptoms http://www.minniepauz.com/printsymptoms.html and making notes about frequency and severity, you might also want to know what your options are when the time comes....reading about synthetic hormone vs bio identical hormones will help: http://www.minniepauz.com/bio-identical-hormones.html

http://www.minniepauz.com/minnie2.html is my list of resources and this one is my favorite http://www.project-aware.org/ because it is organized so well.

The stress may have made your symptoms worse a few years ago, but you're still well within the range of starting peri-menopause in your early 40's and don't let anyone tell you different. We all have different symptoms and different bodies, so trust your instincts. I was 42 when my periods just STOPPED and I've never had another one since....I'm 57 now.

Stick with us and we'll help you get through it!! :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause