soreness of skin and achiness

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

soreness of skin and achiness

Postby parts2you » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:49 am

hi y'all!! :) havent been here for so long..............but guess what?? nothing new!! i have to say that my peri symptoms all in all have gotten better,but i am still going thru the phases of feeling great,then feeling like i just want to give up,they are so bad!! it is so frustrating....when you are feeling great,you pray that every day could be like that--ok well i would settle for most days......sigh/smile :wink: ive had a bad couple of weeks.i guess the reason being i again got a period after none for a few months...well now that is over,and this week i had as the main problem the soreness of the skin. it is quite hard to describe and oh so very frustrating and painful. this time it started in a wierd place....the lower pelvic region,and gradually spread to my right leg (mostly upper thigh-front and back) the soreness is so strange...sore to the touch,kind of.almost like a burning,but not quite.arrrrgghhhhhhhhh! then,it went into a general really really bad achiness of my right leg.and total exhaustion.how do you even talk about something strange like this?? what the heck do you do for it???? its better today,but i sure hope its gone for awhile. im frustrated in general today because i keep thinking about how great i felt for a few months back around june,and now its once again something different every day,except for the tirednesss which never seems to break. its almost like i go thru "remissions".....i rack my brain trying to think of what i was doing different back then,and cant come up with anything........well,hope you all have been well,im going to try and get here more often again....................
parts2you
One HOT Woman!

Postby drjudy » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:51 pm

Dear P2Y,

Your episode of very sore skin from groin into leg, associated with fatigue, sounds like an episode of shingles (herpes zoster) without the actual skin breakout.

This nasty little bother is caused by leftover chickenpox virus in our bodies. Everyone who ever had chickenpox, and that's virtually all of us of a 'certain age,' still has the virus living on in tissue located in our nervous system. Mostly we live in balance with it, our immune systems keeping it in check. Occasionally (and most get this once or more in a lifetime), the viral hummers get out of hand and start multiplying down a nerve root. This is associated with terrible skin pain, and often is followed by a blistering sort of breakout in the skin supplied by the nerve in question.

Not uncommonly, however, one can get pain without the rash. The nature of your pain in quality and location suggests that this has happened to you. Mostly , the whole episode ends uneventfully. At times, the nerve remains involved for weeks, months, or years. This is more common in older individuals, and with facial breakouts.

So, with all your perimenopausal stuff, you got an unrelated problem to make it all seem tougher. This one will pass, and you can just get back to the baseline roller coaster of perimenopause.

Best,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

reply for dr judy

Postby parts2you » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:32 pm

ya know,dr judy....the first time this happened to me i thought of when my dad had shingles years ago....and how it was described by people,and i thought,no way...im too young,and i dont have a rash.then it didnt last very long.....i seemed to remember it lasting quite awhile with him and some of his friends,family.this area skin thing has happened to me several times,starting in different areas,sometimes the lower pelvic,sometimes on my buttocks,im trying to remember if it ever started anywhere else..i think maybe on my lower leg but nowhere near as bad when it was there.....and always with nothing in the way of anything showing on the skin
i did go through bouts a few years back of breakouts near my chin and lip that was so much like a fever blister,yet wasnt..and they would take forever to clear up........the last time that happened after several episodes off and on for a few years,was way over a year ago.
so, at least now it does make sense.....i guess i do have the herpes virus in my body-and i have always felt that basically i have a very strong immune system,maybe i am constantly fighting it when it flares,so it never gets quite as bad as in some. ive felt this way about flus,colds,and such.....i never seem to get knocked down completely.....or maybe im just stubborn!!! i recently read something that said red marine algae,and something called larrea (natural herbs,i think) help with herpes. but as we said,though it is painful and frustrating,usually i get over it within a few days,so these are things i can try if it keeps recurring or lasts longer than i can stand.

as a second thought/question---i have never had any type of problem or symptoms,or ever had a pap test come back abnormal, should i be concerned about genital herpes at all? geez,i hope to not ever have to deal with that.
parts2you
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause