crazy period

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

crazy period

Postby tonybaloney » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:11 pm

This is a new one for me. I've been having symptoms for over a year, and have gone from 23-ish day cycles with heavy bleeding to completely random cycles with lighter bleeding. I haven't had a normal period (both timing and flow) on my own since March. Either they've been light or late or early. Took provera for a couple months to get "back on track." I don't think I even know what normal is for me anymore! The last three were 23, 32, and 45-and-counting days. I actually took a pregnancy test this week, even though I had my tubes tied 11 years ago! (This can really mess with your head . . . )

Another new thing that seems to coincide with these cycle changes is vaginal dryness. I still have hot flashes and mood swings, but something is different now. Is this just a normal progression? Am I right to think I'll probably get slammed with a heavy period pretty soon? I feel like a boyscout--always prepared!

Thanks--Tonya
tonybaloney
Warm Pauzer

Postby drjudy » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:38 pm

Hi Tonya,

Sounds like you're hitting the end of the trail, running out of estrogen and out of bleeding. I'd be surprised if you had any more gushers. The rainbow at the end of the trail (wisdom, calm, serenity) is in sight!

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Crazy period

Postby ladydebubba » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:51 pm

Dr. Judy, my gynecologist wants to do either an ultrasound or a endometrial biopsy out of concern for my having two periods a month. This has only happened twice in 8 months. Back in October and this month. December 4th for a full seven days and the 23rd of the month and this lasted 3 days of moderate and one day of spotting and has stopped. I am going to be 46 on January 2nd and started having periods when I was 11. I have noticed an increase in the problem of my body being very gassy before and during also. Never had problems with this other than starting back at the end of October. I feel great. Is there any reason to be concerned with this? I would think they would be more concerned if I were heavily flooding for 3 weeks at a time like a coworker of mine was for two months. I just figure I am going through the change since my periods have been late and early since April and I have totally skipped two months. I would appreciate a reply back. Thanks.
Lisa DOB:1960
Peri,
fibroids,
low grade cervical dysplasia (cryotherapy done Dec. 21st) (cured as of June 27th, 2009)
ladydebubba
One HOT Woman!

Postby drjudy » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:27 pm

Hi Lisa,

Sounds like your doc would like to be cautious and rule-out any abnormality of your uterine lining. An ultrasound would evaluate whether or not the endometrium was abnormally thick or irregular.

I think a careful watch-and-wait approach would be reasonable, and I can also see your gyn's reasoning that a test would be reassuring. Why don't you discuss the possibility of waiting awhile before investigating these periods which are certainly consistent with perimenopause?

Best,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby lolly » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:32 am

Hi ladies,

I wasn't sure where to post this...but ill give it a whirl :D

Ill do my best to describe this with out too many graphics :oops:

For a yr now ,my periods have been Very light and they only last 2 days at best.I used to be every 28 days on the money and now its been a regular 26 days.

For most of the yr I would not have my, or the "typical" signs of ovulation,Sore breasts, and that typical slippery discharge.I would however have a reg. period but light and short.

Now,the last couple of periods...still reg, I have had the Typical signs of ovulating...but the periods are still light and short.

OK,Here is my question, I feel a little silly asking this ...but can you still have a period without fully ovulating? And is that why my periods are so short and light?

Thanks for listening...
May you dream in color.
lolly
On Fire!

Postby drjudy » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:42 am

Hi Lolly,

You can most definitely have periods without ovulating, and they can be gushers if your estrogen levels are high, or light and short with lower levels. Ovaries can awaken and ovulate even after a year without--thus the miracle babies of older women.

Nothing unusual about any of the events you describe. Perimenopause, like TJ Maxx, is never the same place twice. Lovely, huh?

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby lolly » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:22 pm

Dear drJudy,

This has cleared up a mystery for me.Thank you :)
May you dream in color.
lolly
On Fire!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause