Does This Sound Like Menopause

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Does This Sound Like Menopause

Postby Wizard » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:30 pm

Hi:

I'm 47, totally healthy and have been battling so many new symptoms over the last 2 months.

I still get my period although it's more often and much lighter than it used to be.

During the last month, I've been having trouble sleeping at night, I have pins and needles in my feet and hands, I'm exhausted, often feel somewhat anxious, have no energy. I don't feel like I have hot flashes, just mild flushes now and then that send my body into a feeling of prickling.

I've seen my doctor who did a total workup, blood, stool, ECG, etc. It all came back normal....no thyroid problems, no parasites, good blood sugars, excellent heart, blood pressure etc. He suggested that perhaps I had a virus running it's course but I'm wondering if it could have to do with peri-menopause.

The only recent change in my life is that I took two months off exercising due to a knee problem. Could the stop in exercising have made minimal prei-menopausal problems suddenly very evident???

Thanks for any info.

Jo
Wizard

Postby Wizard » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:43 pm

Hi:

Just wanted to add that I also feel shaky a lot of the time. Sort of like I'm quivering inside of myself. I know it all sounds insane but gee....I think my whole body is falling apart at times.
Wizard

Postby colopam » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:29 pm

Welcome to the boards Wizard!
It would be a good idea to go to the main site and print out the 35 symptoms of menopause, http://www.minniepauz.com/35symptoms.html check off which apply to you along with onset (if you know), frequency as well as intensity. Take this list to your Dr. and have a good discussion. The Dr. may want to do some tests to eliminate any other problems and to put your mind at rest. Take some time to peruse the message boards as we have alot of really good info and wonderful support along with HRT (Humor Replacement Therapy). Know tha you're in good company. Please be sure to go to the introductions page and tell us a little about yourself, that way we get to know YOU, not just a post!!

Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:25 am

Jo, I've heard that regular exercise CAN help reduce many menopause symptoms so it makes sense that cutting back on exercise might have made your symptoms worse. I still think a lot of it is just coincidence too...that your hormones started acting up at the same time you started having the knee problems.

Strange, isn't it, that you are the one who thought of peri-menopause and not your doctor? *shaking my head* I mean, 47 is not so early that it shouldn't be considered with the kinds of symptoms you are having. Jeez!

Anyway, hang in there and spend some time around us and you'll get it all figured out before your doctor can say, "OOPS!...now why didn't I think of that?"
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Wizard » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:36 pm

Thanks Ladies.

I'm beginning to think this is totally menopause related. Last month, when all of this started, for the first time ever, I had a very light period...what I call, my "barely there period". Usually, I flow for 7 days (fairly heavy for at least 3) but last month it was all over in about 5 days and so light.

This month, I've basically had about 2 days of very light flow (nothing during the nights) and now nothing during the day either.

I guess what I need to figure out is how to handle the suddenly itchy skin, pins and needles and the slightly anxious feeling that goes with all this. I've been seeing my regular doctor but I think I have to book in with my gyn to talk about what I can do. I know that any kind of hormone replacement therapy is out since I have in the past had pregnancy induced blood clots. I've been taking Ativan for the last month which at least lets me sleep through the night and have a relatively good day but I can't do that long term.

I guess I need to find something for sleep and anxiety that isn't addictive but will still work to still these sensations that are driving me crazy. I'd appreciate any ideas of what's worked for others who are going through this.

Suddenly, I'm glad I only have sons. At least they'll never feel like this first hand lol.

Jo
Wizard

Postby colopam » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:12 pm

AHH! But Jo, your sons will have wives!!! Teach them well!!! LOl!!!!
Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby drjudy » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:29 pm

Hi Jo,

Sounds like you have the 'nerves on fire' sort of thing that goes with dropping levels of estrogen. Symptoms can include: 1) formication or itchy crawling skin (the name comes from the Latin root for ants)
2) burning mouth syndrome, or 3) peripheral neuropathy with tingling and burning hands and/or feet.

Frequent, lighter periods is definitely a step on the road to menopause. Although you won't be considering estrogen, it's possible that progesterone could quiet your tingly nerves, and that hormone is not associated with clotting. In addition, there are two medications, one old and generic called gabapentin (used to be neurontin) and one new, brand name, and probably expensive called Lyrica that also soothe nerves on fire. I use gabapentin as a sleep aid for women our age as it is not habit-forming, decreases anxiety, AND decreases hot flashes.

An over-the-counter supplement called alpha lipoic acid is also good for peripheral nerve upset. It's been tested at doses of 600 mg. twice daily but given the price of this supplement, I'd try lower doses first.

Ask your doctor about these possibilities.

Best,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause