Possible Perry. Possibly Peculiar?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Possible Perry. Possibly Peculiar?

Postby mamagrrl » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:26 am

Well, it might be something else, because I'm only 40, and a young 40 - but maybe it's peri-menopause. Call me Perry!?!?

*Hot flashes started 4 days ago, which is what made me pay attention and google. (as in, dripping behind the knees, flushed body, lightly sweating forehead, ripping off of sweaters, etc.) They last anywhere from a few minutes to half an hour, usually tapering off to a flush that might last several hours more.)
*The flashes are usually followed by a prolonged sensation of abdominal (uterine?) heaviness. (What's THAT about?)
*Chills - even when the house is at 70 degrees.
*Dry skin as of a few months ago.
*Increased GI sensitivity.
*Increasing Insomnia, off and on for the past few months, lots worse in the last two weeks.
*Irritability and depression symptoms WAY above and beyond normal. (zoloft is great stuff!)
*Fatigue - but I thought that was from not sleeping well.
*Incontinence during sneezes - unless I throw a hard kegel first!
*and even heartbeat irregularities from time to time (flutters, but it always returns to normal fairly quickly. They've gotten more frequent over the past year or two (but still are pretty infrequent and NEVER happen when there's a doc around. (the doc didn't seem too concerned by the description.)))

Thing is, the periods aren't lighter. If anything, they're heavier and the lining comes off in Sheets! Slippery, elastic-feeling red sheets! (and relatively large, considering the small size of the uterus.)

It used to be 7 days of light flow with nary a cramp, now it's one day of light, one day of HEAVY-stay-home-and-wear-the-black-pants flow with cramps, one day of tapering off, then two days of very, very light. So, shorter over all, but a lot more exciting on day 2.

I didn't think I was anywhere near Peri, because the flow hadn't lightened up as expected - but then the flashes hit and those are unmistakable. Do any other peri's have changed-but-to-heavier-and-shorter flows?

Or maybe I'm not peri, but am something else?
(Gorgeous'll do!)
Being peri doesn't bother me in the least, but it'd be nice to get a second/third/bazillionth'd opinion and to hear other's thoughts on the 3 or 4 questions above.
Call me Perry?
mamagrrl
Warm Pauzer

Postby colopam » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:54 am

mamagrr
I've always had the "thrill" of flooding during my period but as of late it's gotten ridiculous! Yes the duration has been shorter now just 3 days but now I can always count on the nights being sleepless due to cramping and need to wear black AND check on the feminine protection every 1/2 hour the second day. Very clotty. I started peri probably in my early 40's and am sooo glad to have found this site as I have found great information, wonderful humor and the BEST support. As always my suggestion is for you to check thru the message boards and maybe even do a search in the search mode (up top where you log in), also check out the main page of this wonderful website (I constantly go back and find new stuff!) print out the 35 symptoms and share with your doc. To me it sounds like you've found the right place, tho the flashes happened pretty quickly (so far I've been lucky with only getting the warmies at nite and not so much lately), Dr. Judy is a wonderful source for a lot of your questions. Welcome to the site, tell us a bit about yourself, and post often!!
Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:24 am

Hang in there mamagrrl....I'm sure Dr. Judy will have some comforting words for you as soon as she reads your post. :) I'm not much help because my periods just stopped at 42 and I had no clue about what was going on in the few years before that. That was 15 years ago. :)

I can tell you one thing though, it's pure heaven once the periods stop! Even with the hot flashes and other symptoms that still hang on, it's just great to not have the periods!

Hope to hear from you often. Have you seen your doctor about this at all?
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby mamagrrl » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:56 pm

(laughing)
Well, the flashes started over the holidays (as in, five days ago while at the inlaws and very far away from home) so no doc visit yet. I've got to go in soon to get the Rx renewed soon anyway, so will just mention it to her then. Until the flashes, I just ignored the other symptoms with life-excuses (too much going on, shouldn't eat fast food anyway, etc.) The flashes were my wakeup call!

Frankly, I'm not in the least bothered, except the heavier flow didn't seem to fit. (but wasn't so heavy to be considered anomolous.) Just didn't seem 'normal' to peri so wanted to ask around - glad to hear from more 'thrilling' black-pants folk!

It's also nice to hear from folks who're younger 40's and going/went through it. I've always thought this was something that happened in the 50's and 60's. Silly me. (Dang, I hope this doesn't take 10 years to tidy up!)

This all is just the next stage of my life and has been pretty darned interesting so far (the whole five days of it! laughing!!! Maybe ask in another few months!) Those flashes, certainly. I'm averaging only one a day, some days:none, and according to what some women on this site have to deal with, they're relatively easy. A new excuse for some lovely soft cardigans. Easier to take off fast than pullovers!

(and I'm not sure I'd've noticed 'warmies' without the flashes ahead of them. I'm a heat-sink. Put me somewhere and I'll gravitate to the warmest place in the room. Instantly. I'd rather bake than just about anything. Warmies before flashes would just've been a Very Good Day... but now that the flashes are here... well. It kinda smacks you on the butt, doesn't it. Hard to ignore.)

While it'll be nice to not have my monthly bloom someday, I think I'm gonna miss it. It always reminded me to relax a little more and take it easier while the old bod handled a few details. A few days of 'hey slow down!' every month. In a few years, I might have to remember such things on my own. I'm not so great at remembering things like that.
mamagrrl
Warm Pauzer

Postby drjudy » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:07 am

I agree that this is all consistent with perimenopause. I'll write more after I recover from very early a.m. trip to airport to drop off houseguest, soon to be followed by a full day's work. I better not show up in my robe!

Catch you tomorrow,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby drjudy » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:42 pm

Dear 'Perry,'

Heavy periods, often coming a little more frequently, is absolutely a sign of early perimenopause. As we wind down our reproductive years, we tend to ovulate less often. Cycles without ovulation are notable for lots of estrogen and little or no progesterone. As a result, we get an estrogen-primed uterine lining with big slippery sheets of blood and that 'HEAVY-stay-home-and-wear-the-black-pants flow' (nice description).

You may well find this is temporary and return to your usual self for months or years before experiencing this again. I started with such stuff on and off at age 42 and didn't actually hit menopause for 13 years thereafter.

You have a nice outlook and sense of humor which will come in handy during the upcoming 'adventure.' Welcome to the forum.

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby mamagrrl » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:33 pm

Hey, sweet!

Good to know *why* the sheets are rubbery and so big. It's fascinating stuff, isn't it.

The sheet's've been going on for, oh, a year at least so I guess I've been on the way to peri/meno for quite a while, eh. Well whaddya know and blow me over. I have the feeling they won't switch back, but thanks for the warning and I won't freak if they do.

...although waiting 13 years seems a bit much. Is there an express lane?
mamagrrl
Warm Pauzer

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause