Blood test says no to Menopause

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Blood test says no to Menopause

Postby j.miller » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:34 am

I am only 38, but problems with the private area of our body has plaiged the women in my family for a long time. And my mother had a hysterectomy around 38.
Well, I had the routine blood tests done to rule out Menopause because I have been showing over half of the 35 symptoms listed on Minnie Pauz. Well those tests came back normal, but I am still having those symptoms. My doctor didn't discuss peri-menopause. Is this something that I should be discussing with him?
Julie
j.miller

Postby minniepauz » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:23 am

It sounds like your doctor is trying to determine why you're having symptoms. Most won't even run the tests for menopause at your age. It's possible that you are starting the process at 38 (my periods completely stopped at 41 or 42), but it's also possible that the symptoms are from some other problem, such as thyroid..... you didn't mention which symptoms you're having. That might help to give Dr. Judy some clues as to what you might talk to your doctor about. :)

Welcome to our world!
minniepauz
Site Admin

symptoms

Postby j.miller » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:21 am

This is what I am experiencing. Not always everyday, but enough to be annoying. I see my doctor next week, and we are going to have to go over my list again and discuss solutions.

1. Hot flashes, flushes, night sweats and/or cold flashes,
2. Bouts of rapid heart beat
3. Irritability
4. sudden tears
5. Trouble sleeping through the night (with or without night sweats)
6. Irregular periods; shorter, lighter periods; heavier periods, flooding; phantom periods, shorter cycles, longer cycles
7. Loss of libido
8. Dry vagina
9. Crashing fatigue
10. Difficulty concentrating, disorientation, mental confusion
12. Disturbing memory lapses
13. Incontinence, especially upon sneezing, laughing; urge incontinence
14. Itchy, crawly skin
15. Aching, sore joints, muscles and tendons
16. Increased tension in muscles
17. Breast tenderness
18. Headache change: increase or decrease
19. Gastrointestinal distress, indigestion, flatulence, gas pain,
20. Sudden bouts of bloat
21. Increase in allergies
22. Weight gain
23. Dizziness, light-headedness, episodes of loss of balance
24. Tingling in the extremities,
25. Gum problems
26. Tinnitus: ringing in ears,
Julie
j.miller

Postby colopam » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:48 am

Julie!
WHEW!!! Definately take that list to your appt. along maybe with when you first you first noticed them, frequency, duration and anything that you've noticed that might help some. You surely ave somehting going on and it'd be nice to have csome answers! Let us know how things go, if you can't get satisfactory answers either be insistent until explained or try another Dr., some are more willing to help you find answers than others. Good luck! let us know how it goes!
Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby drjudy » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:34 pm

Everything sounds consistent with the early changes of perimenopause. You may still be years away from menopause, but I think you're ovarian function is starting to wind down. A little cycled progesterone in the last half of your cycles may be helpful.

Let us know how your appt goes.

Best,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Reply to Dr. Judy

Postby j.miller » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:56 pm

Can I buy the progesterone without my doctor's help? He has offered my the PILL but I don't think that is a good solution.
Julie
j.miller

Postby drjudy » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:54 am

There is progesterone cream (one brand is Progest) over-the-counter, but I don't think it would be strong enough to ease your symptoms. You could certainly try it.

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Disappointing doctor's visit

Postby j.miller » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:50 am

I had my monthly check up with my doctor because he put me on Celexia to help balance my moods. But when we discussed my blood tests results he basically dismissed them because they are all within the normal range. But I am still feeling the same when I first went to him. His advice was for me to go on the PILL to normalize my periods, but I don't know if I want to. I keep thinking that the PILL will not keep me from peeing when I sneeze, or reawaken my lost intamicy, or any of the other symptoms I have been feeling. I can't change doctors for another opinion because where I live doctors are in short suppy. What do I do? Do I keep pestering my doctor every visit?
Julie
j.miller

Postby colopam » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:53 am

YES!
Discomfort is the body's way of saying something isn't right! You may be young but something's going on, there's not a magic switch of premenopause and menopause, peri or premenopause is a process and alot of Dr.'s seem to treat it as if the time before meno doesn't exist (my doc in TN thought so and hated my doing the research), keep doing your research too bad you don't have options. Let us know how things go.
Hugs Pam!
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby drjudy » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:19 am

Dear Julie,

I'm sorry that your appointment was disappointing (I guess then you would call it a 'dis-appointment'!). Perimenopause is tricky, and blood tests are not one bit helpful--the diagnosis is really made just on symptoms.

I understand your reluctance to start the pill. Nothing takes care of all of the symptoms of perimenopause, but it is possible that the pill could smooth out a lot of the rough edges on your health right now. Some women do wonderfully on it during this transition, and others feel worse.

Since your doctor is the only choice, and he is offering the pill as the only choice, you might consider trying it. Within three cycles, you would see all the benefits or drawbacks. If you felt better, you would have a strategy that could see you through the next few years that otherwise could be tough ones. If you didn't like the way you felt, you could open a "what's next" discussion with your doctor.

Do know that we all appreciate how yucky you feel. This is a 'been there or doing that' sort of site, and maybe some others can suggest some non-medical strategies to improve your situation.

Best,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby S » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:10 pm

Is changing doctors an option? A lot of people don't even think about this option simply because they are so comfortable working with someone that they become insecure about breaking this "relationship". The "relationship" is not personal, it's business and YOU are the client (doctor / patient = provider / customer). If you think about it from that perspective, it will be easier. You have a right to a 2nd opinion. You may even find a doctor that is better and more sympathetic than who you are seeing now.

I just went to a new OB-GYN (my previous one moved his practice). He was very sympathetic to listen to my long list of symptoms (I also hit on a lot of the 35) and proclaimed me officially "perimenopausal". BUT, my hair loss triggered a red flag and we are now testing for possible hypothyroid (my mother has it and it's hereditary). He also gave me a list of vitamin and herbal supplements. I'm increasing my Calcium.

You need to quantify exactly when and what you are doing when you experience these symptoms. Don't assume a single cause. As Doc Judy suggests, try the PILL and see what changes. Don't have any stigmas about the PILL's more popular purpose - it's just a chemical to re-balance your endocrine system.

Healthy diet and exercise will help considerably. If you are on caffeine, stop immediately. After a few days of headaches (withdrawal symptoms), you will feel a lot better.
S

Postby colopam » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:43 pm

S
Unfortunately alot of rural locations don't have the option of changing doctors. On the stopping caffeine, there are homeopathic tabs that can be taken for 2 weeks that prevent the withdrawal symptoms as long as you don't have ANY caffeine while on them (shucks , that means chocolate LOL). I got them at a natural food store and they're easy to take and work very well!
Hugs Pam
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby bizziebee » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:24 pm

How very interesting. I can relate to almost all of the symptoms that Julie has, and I had a blood test back in October which came back normal! Then 3 months later, I am back at the doctor with the same symptoms and he told me I was experiencing menopause!! I said okay - then why was my blood test normal? he said because of the fluctuation of symptoms?? He prescribed HRT which I refuse to take due to all the hype and side effects, so have gone natural. I am almost 46 years of age and at times feel like I am going crazy!! One minute I'm hot, then I'm cold then I get dizzy, I feel sick, headachy plus plus plus.......I say bugger Eve for eating the apple!!
Look forward to your reply Dee and by the way - thank you for your site. It does help.
bizziebee

to busybee

Postby j.miller » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:41 pm

I am going to try the PILL as to my doctor's advice just to see if it will do anything to fix my irregular period problem. I will have to go back and complain about the terrible headaches/migraines I have been experiencing as well as the lack of energy even after going on a high potency vitamin that includes helpful herbs. Even though I am on Celexa for my moods, I am finding I have become irritable once again and my patience is short. My doctor is going to be sick of me before summer hits if he doesn't start considering perimenopause.
"The weight of the world is love. Under the burden of solitude, under the burden of dissatisfaction."
Julie
j.miller

Symptoms

Postby bizziebee » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:13 pm

Good lucky Julie. I hope it all works out well. I'll be glad when my Femme Phase by Dr Sandra Cabot kicks in as I dislike the feelings I am experiencing.
bizziebee

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause