am i going nuts?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

am i going nuts?

Postby helene » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:38 pm

:roll: sometimes i think i'm going nuts! I'm a healthy 38yo mother of 4 and full time uni student. I have been having trouble sleeping and I'm not sure about the "flashes" but I do get unbeleivably hot sometimes, sepecially during the nigh or if i have a nap during the day, which i sometimes do during the holidays. I have been moody and irritable and my periods have been extremely heavy and last longer - like 5 days. Could this be my "change of life" starting? Both my mother and my aunts had full hysterectomies and can't tell me much about it. I also suffer from memory loss, but everyone has called me "dory" for quite some time since i seem to be vague an awful lot! what do you think? should i go to my doctor or wait and see what happens? Its been like this for about 4/5 months now. :roll:
helene

Postby minniepauz » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:01 am

helene, it certainly sounds like you may be just starting into peri-menopause and as we've found over the last 5 years or so, 38 is a bit on the young side for most, but certainly not totally unheard of. My periods just stopped cold at 41 or 42 and I'm sure I must have had some signs in the few years before that, but without all the information we have today, no one had a clue to start thinking in those terms....that was 20 years ago.

Make sure you pay attention to other things going on in your life too because even stress can cause our hormones to act like demons. Then there's thryroid problems that can mimic menopause symptoms. It might be reassuring to see your doctor, talk about your symptoms and maybe even have your hormones tested (if they do it....some won't at your age).

You've got a lot going on in your life with kids and school, so try to take some time for yourself and do a little pampering of YOU, ok? It's great to have you hear and we want to know how you're doing. Take care!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby drjudy » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:53 am

Hi Helene,

I think I'd feel like I was going nuts just to be a mother of 4 and a full-time student to say nothing of entering perimenopause.

You are describing exactly the symptoms of early perimenopause--sleep disturbances, hot episodes, heavier periods, plus mood and memory changes. You may go on like this for years, or you may return to normal for some time period before these bothersome symptoms recur. It took me twelve years to go from what you describe to the end of the menstrual line.

I hope your doctor will consider with you some possible interventions, including a little cycled progesterone, to get you back on your game and on top of your responsibilities. Perimenopause is rough, but we've got treatments that can take the edge off.

Best wishes,
judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

thanks

Postby helene » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:36 am

thanks for your replies. I feel better to know that its actually real! Sometimes i just get a bit down or stressed and these symptoms sure don't help much. I have decided to wait and write down a list of what is happening to my body and monitor it for a few months and then go to see my doctor during the easter break. If I am still suffering from all these things then I will be telling her that i want a hormone test. Anyway, i just wanted to say thanks for being there. I really appreciate your replies. I guess the idea of facing menopause is a bit scary for me. There's just so much that goes on in our busy lives that its hard to grow old gracefully. thanks again, helene. :D :D :D
helene

Postby minniepauz » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:51 am

helene, you're very welcome and we hope you'll keep coming here to read what other women are experiencing because that's the first really helpful benefit of sites like this.....you realize you're not alone!! :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause