Question about FSH? How do the numbers work? What exactly

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Question about FSH? How do the numbers work? What exactly

Postby Kathlyn87 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:35 pm

is the beginning number for peri menopause? Is there a number you max out at??? Just curious, since I remember about 4 years ago being a 10 and today now a 68 and in PM.

I don't know if this topic has already been discussed on the board and you could fill me in if it has or point me in the right direction. I am just curious about those numbers.
Kathie in FL
Kathlyn87

Postby colopam » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:59 pm

The "Ask Dr. Judy" section would probably be the best place as she is our own well of information and support. Good Luck!
Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:37 am

I think when the FSH level is at or greater than 25mIU/mL (above average) then the transition of menopause may be suggested.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby drjudy » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:24 am

Dear Kathlyn,

There are some 'cut-off' points with respect to FSH. As Dee mentions, above 25 is considered 'on the way.' I'd say 68 is 'there.'

I don't follow FSH numbers too closely. In fact, I mostly get them in women who've had hysterectomies, and we aren't sure what's going as they experience the host of symptoms that could be menopause, depression, overwork, too much to do, hypothyroidism, or whatever.

And I never rely on FSH numbers to decide when to consider treatment. When symptoms are starting to interfere with a woman's ability to carry on her life in style, it's time to plot a strategy that may or may not include some sort of prescription support.

Best,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause