only 38 years old

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

only 38 years old

Postby ally19672000 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:09 pm

hi ladies

here's my situation...for the last several months I have been having real heavy periods which last about 9 days. Then last month I has a period which only lasted 2 days. Now, 2 weeks later im on a period which has lasted 13 days and counting. This is so unusual for me as my periods are always about 5-6 days from start to finish with no real cramps at all. Six months ago I had my full blown blood work done and everything was fine, thyroid great too. Do you think I could be headig for menopause...Im sort of freaking out...Im scared to death of menopause!!!!

any feedback would be so appreciated
thanks
Penny
ally19672000

Postby minniepauz » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:26 pm

Try not to be scared.....you will soon discover that gaining knowledge will be SO reassuring! First of all, you're probably at the very beginning of peri-menopause and may not go into menopause until you're in your 50's. It's kind of like you've gone through the PMS years and now you will transition into the PRE-menopause years.....this could be from 10 to 15 years. The symptoms you're experiencing are just signals that your body is giving you, saying, "ok, you're getting a little older and like it or not, your body is going to change..."

Keeping that in mind (and try to do as much reading as possible on peri-menopause) it's always a good idea to see your doctor when there's any prolonged or heavy bleeding going on. You want to rule out anything that may be causing it and your doctor is the best one to help you. Just remember that 38 is not so unusual to have some changes going on, but it's always better to get a professional opinion.

Let us know what you find out, ok?
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby phiggins » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:52 pm

I am a 42 year old woman. I think I may have started peri-m when I was about 35. I have about 30/35 symtoms on the checklist. After the birth of my child (at age 30) my periods were not as perfect as they once were. They were not completely predictable, although they would eventually arrive. Now, which is why I am on this site and researching, I had my regular period, but have continued to spot since then (2 weeks), which I have never done before. Instinctively, I feel this is the result of peri/menapause. Your comments kindof re-affirm this. I am going to make an appointment with my OB next week, but don't really want to hear the, "You're fine" diagnosis, because I know what's going on with me is not what's normal for me.
My question is this....how long can I expect this to go on? And will the 30/35 symtoms go away at some point...after the process is complete?
The way I am thinking is, the 1st 30 were fine, the next ? years I go through the change, and the later years those 30/35 symtoms go away. Is this realistic?
I would so greatly appreciate any feedback on my situation.
Paula
phiggins

Postby colopam » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:21 am

Paula
Be sure to print out the 35 symptoms then check the ones you're experiencing along with the frequency and duration. Be sure to write down any other questions you have for your doctor. Alot of doctors probably hate a list but hate the "going out the door" ones worse! I have an appt. this Wed. and even have some to add (long term migraines, new to me). Let us know how things go!
Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby phiggins » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:18 pm

I really appreciate your advice. I always take lists to my Dr.s and, actually, they seem to appreciate this. It expediates the visit to a certain extent.
What I am really wondering, though, is how long can one expect to go through menapause. I know no two people are the same. But, is there an approximate number of years I can expect? Also, for those who have gone through the process and are on the other side of it, do the symtoms go away, once the change is complete?
Is there somewhere else I should post these questions?

Thank you,
Paula
Paula
phiggins

Postby niftyfifty1 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:59 pm

HI, You are right in that each one of us has a different time table for menopause. For me, my periods stopped at 45, now at 50 the well known symptoms have decreased. Ex. hot flashes are not as intense or as often. My symptoms were from age 40 to about 49. And yet varied within that time too. I know how you feel when you are just starting this process and want to know when it is done. :) :) Just know we are all here to listen and help where we can for each day.
niftyfifty1

Postby phiggins » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:05 pm

Thank you so much for that info. I know I am not alone in all of this. It's just that all of the women that are close to me have situations that aren't similar to mine, ie. - hysterectomies, no child bearing, been on the pill, have had "female" problems, etc. I have never been on the pill, which is unusual, I suppose. We always used the rhythm method for birth control. And, believe it or not, we only have one child. I have never had any problems, thank God.

Thanks for the info.

Paula :wink:
Paula
phiggins

Postby colopam » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:48 am

Paula
I've recognized that I was peri since about age 38 and am still peri at age 47 (tho symptoms have changed somewhat). I don't have a roadmap as my DM and G-ma (my only female blood relatives) had very early hysts and no HRT (not meaning they didn't need it). I know some people have had very short peri phases and others long. I know of women that have sailed thru with barely a problem (few of those) and then my aunt that is still having power surges (hot flashes) late in her life. The best things I've done have been to come to this board for education, support and humor. I really don't know where I'd be if I hadn't stumbled onto this site, tho I always do alot of research on any issues myself this site has made life soooo much easier and fun. Sorry ladies but it IS nice to know someone else is experiencing the same things!! LOL
Be sure to use the search mode at the top of the page to make finding specific things easier, the answer to some questions may already be here but don't hesitate to ask or jump in!
HUgs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:24 pm

It can be very frustrating to get vague answers to your questions, but since there haven't been enough studies done about menopause until recent years, there's just no absolute statistics. Even for women who have lots of female relatives, there's no guarantee that your experience will be similar.

So far we've narrowed things down to this:
1. from the first symptom to the last, it could take 5 to 15 years
2. the change is never really "complete" because as we age our hormones continue to change and our bodies keep adjusting
3. asking questions and talking to other women and keeping a positive attitude can really improve your passage through all of this

There are many books that address all the different ways to approach and deal with the process http://www.minniepauz.com/books.html and your doctor (hopefully) will be a great source of comfort and information. You will have some decisions to make along the way and all of these sources (including US) will help you make them.

Welcome to the forum!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby phiggins » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:10 pm

You guys have been very helpful and I appreciate it. I went to the store today and almost bought one of those FSH kits, but I figure I will just wait and let my doc to it.
Are there OB's that specialize in menapause issues? I may try to seek one of them out.

Paula
Paula
phiggins

Postby minniepauz » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:33 am

There's a link on my front page (http://www.minniepauz.com) to a FREE home menopause kit..... or just go here: http://www.phamatech.com/web/store-moments.htm Since it's free, it would be interesting to see how it compares with your doc's results.

Don't forget to also trust your intuition. You came looking for menopause information, it's right about the right time and you're having symptoms that thousands of other women are having. Maybe it's time to put your energy towards research and taking control of your health, which will serve you much better than panic and worry about this natural process. I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, just to gently remind you that you know your body better than any doctor or test.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause