I need help!!

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

I need help!!

Postby CHEY455 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:47 am

Ok, so I'm 38 and hypothyroid. About a year and half ago I started to have night sweats... nothing regular just once in a while. Then the facial hair came and the itchy with hyves and loss of sex drive. Went to doctor who ran all the tests and she adjusted thyroid meds and I felt better for a while. Another thing is I haven't conceived in the last 5 years with out using any birth control. My endo mentioned that I probably wasn't ovulating and left it at that.

In the past 3 months things of gotten much worse. Right before period was due I was having horrible night sweats. Drenching myself and the bed. The worst part is the anxiety that has started. My thoughts are all about death or for instance my husband losing his job if the alarm doesn’t go off .. very irrational, and of course I can’t sleep with all these feelings of gloom and doom. This past month right before my period started I had the usual night sweat but when I woke up I had what I am assuming was a hot flash. I was so hot from the inside out, dripping sweat, and getting dizzy. I literally went outside in the snow to cool down. The last time I went to the doctor for the milder symptoms she wasn’t concerned because my periods are still regular. I just had my thyroid tested and all the tests came back normal.

What do you ladies think? I need help!!!
CHEY455

Postby drjudy » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:40 pm

Dear Chey,

I think you are in the throws of perimenopause. Premenstrual night sweats and hot flashes, anxiety, itchy skin, low sex drive, high facial hair drive, it's all there. Doesn't matter that the periods are regular; the hormones are faltering.

I think you could feel better. Ask your doctor if she'd consider a little hormonal support for you. Read the posts about progesterone cream; this might also be an option. This is a difficult time of life, but lying awake fretting over missed alarms is enough to make you crazy and cross by day. While it's all a normal part of this glorious phase of life, it does not have to take such a toll on your sense of well-being.

Best,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:04 pm

You definitely sound like you're entering the first phases of PERI-menopause. That's when your hormones are just starting to change and you start having some of the symptoms (or effects) of those changes. Unfortunately, this could go on from 10-15 years before your periods stop and you're post menopausal.

So many of the thyroid symptoms mimic menopause, so I know it's difficult for you to tell which is which, but it sounds like you have good doctors who are monitoring your health sufficiently. The best thing you can do at this point is to educate yourself and try to be as healthy as possible because it will make a difference as you get further along.

One good site I like to recommend (besides THIS one of course!) is
http://www.project-aware.org/index.shtml
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby CHEY455 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:29 pm

Thanks ladies! This site has been a wealth of knowledge!! This all kind of snuck up on me. I thought I would have another ten years before I had to even think about it.

Thanks again!
CHEY455

Postby minniepauz » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:57 pm

Those damn hormones just don't follow any RULES!! You're in good company now and if we can't find an answer we can at least give you some alternative resources and encouragement, so stick with us and share your experiences because we all learn from each other!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause