I'm not in the age range but?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

I'm not in the age range but?

Postby lili » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:33 pm

Hi everyone it's so long,
Let me start by giving some information. I'm 36 yrs old and always had heavy periods (on the heavy days wake up in the morning and run to the bathroom to have it basically pour out). The heavy days were 2 days and the period itself lasted 5 days. When I was 15 I stopped having a period for a few months to which the doctor said was due to weight loss. He started me on BCP for one month and it came back although lighter. No more rushes to the bathroom:) Eventually though they started getting back to the way there were before in regards to heaviness. When I was 31 I stared getting my periods every two weeks and very very heavy. Clots would just drain out when I would go to the bathroom. I was also very anxious (worrying about everything to the world ending) but I just associated it with my new position at work. After it happened the second month I went to the doctor and they put me on BCP. The dosage had to be adjusted but the bleeding came under control. They did check for endometriosis and it came back negative. When I asked what was causing it they said hormones and it just varies from women to women. Oh yeah and that if I wanted to have kids I might have trouble. BTW I've never been pregnant.

When I was 33 I had to start a generic form of the BCP I was taking because the contract ran out and by the end of the first week on the first pack I was having anxiety attacks. I called and the advice nurse said I should finish the pack because if I stopped taking them it could make it worse. I did but as soon as it was time to get a refill I went back to the doctor and got a different prescription. She also recommended I go see a therapist (due to events from my past). I was put on Celexa and eventually I got better.

I stopped taking the Celexa a year ago and this past Christmas I started getting the anxiety again. I moved this past summer back home and had to start with a new Healthcare provider who when I got my BCP refill gave me a generic form of the BCP I was taking of which I had been taking for a few months. Interestingly enough the anxiety corresponded with the start of a new pack of BCP.

I found a new primary care physician who put me back on the Celexa and Klonopin (which I only take now if I wake at night and can't get back to sleep). I am feeling better but I just know it has something to due with hormones. She advised me to go back to using the orginal form of the BCP which is Brevicon so I will get that new pack next week. I'm in the third week of this last pack.

She did test for thyroid and it came back normal. Also I have always felt depressed, as soon as puberty hit but my mother died at the same time so I just associated it losing her (I also lost my father at a younger age). I have always had a problem with acne as well and from reading many of the post is it possible I need more progestrone?

The last few nights I have woken up wet with sweat. I have electric shock feeling once or twice.

Last month on the second day after the last real pill I burst out into tears and couldn't stop crying which wasn't fun as I was at the airport. My sister thankfully was there and made me laugh but still felt the anxiety + depression.

Am I starting to show the signs of Perimenopause?

Thanks for taking the time to read:) :lol:
LiLi
lili
Warm Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:03 pm

Yes, with all your previous problems, it does sound like the beginning of peri-menopause. It's so different for everyone so it's good that your doctor is monitoring your situation. Just keep reading what other women are going through and you will see that your experience is not unique. That should make you feel better. Also learn to trust your intuition and feelings when it comes to your body and help your doctor make decisions about what works for you.

Keep at it and you'll eventually find a kind of "balance" for yourself that is manageable and you will go on with your life knowing that this is mostly a very normal transition that every woman is going to go through. Try not to focus too much on the negatives......
minniepauz
Site Admin

Thanks for the words of encouragement:)

Postby lili » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:05 pm

With my anxiety my sister is the only who I know who has gone thru it before but I feel like I'm wearing her out. I work alone all day (at home)so when I get off I've been going to her house at night. Normally she complains that I don't ever see her enough (and she hasn't said anything about not wanting to see me) but like today and a time before she tells me maybe I should visit someone else. I don't talk about it unless she asks me if I'm feeling ok but I can see where it would get annoying. I do help her out around the house by doing dishes, laundry once, cleaning this past weekend, and cooking and bringing dinner several times(keeping busy helps with the nervous energy) but I just hate to be alone all day and then at night. I do have other family members but for some reason I feel best at her house. Anyway thanks for listening.
LiLi
lili
Warm Pauzer

Postby momamea » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:12 pm

LiLi, I definitely understand the anxiety thing (I'm onl y35 by the way). I too find that keeping myself busy helps release some of the "nervous energy".

Dee is so amazing, I just love reading her encouragement that this can be a fairly natural transiton, yet she provides such great support for those of us who are struggling with the here and now.

You and I will both get past these anxious feelings!

Wishing you all the best,
----
Tina
Birth Year: 1970, suspected prolonged peri-menopause due to removal of one ovary at age 20
momamea
Hot Pauzer

This site is awesome.

Postby lili » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:56 am

You ladies are such wonderful supporters :) I bought some supplements last night: magnesium and B-Complex. I've already started taking Fish Oils a few weeks ago. I stop drinking caffeine (except for the occasional diet Pepsi which I will not drink anymore) and cut out sugars. The sugar part was a little difficult this past weekend because it was my brothers and nephew's B-Day so I didn't eat any cake or ice cream. :shock:

Anyway thanks for your support :)
LiLi
lili
Warm Pauzer

Postby Rita » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:31 am

Hi Lili,
I have been fighting anxiety along with some other "peri" symptoms. By far fatigue and anxiety are the worst for me. Before I discovered that my anxiety may be hormone related and this site, I found an anxiety site that helped me greatly. It sounds like what you are doing is great, but if you get to the point where you need to talk more about it you may want to visit the site http://www.anxietyvictims.com Hang in there and I hope you find your answers.
Rita
Rita
On Fire!

Postby drjudy » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:39 am

Hi LiLi,

Sounds like you've been through a lot, from losing your parents early on, struggling with hormonal imbalances, and, perhaps most difficult of all, trying to stay on top of that anxiety.

All these things naturally feed into each other, so it may be hard and perhaps unnecessary to figure out just what's what with respect to where this all started.

I don't think you ever have ovulated regularly. The heavy and frequent periods that you describe are consistent with the estrogen only situation created by no ovulation. I think your instincts are correct that progesterone might be helpful as progesterone is a potent anti-anxiety hormone. Various birth control brands provide different kinds of synthetic progesterone, some more useful than others in controlling your type of symptoms. A fairly new one called Yasmin seems very good with mood troubles, but obviously it's brand name only and may be expensive under your plan.

You may well be in perimenopause which would aggravate your anxiety and tendency to depression. Taking your birth control pills continuously without the one week off with no hormones between cycles might be helpful. Some women, however, find that birth control pills aggravate their symptoms. Celexa is a good support for your anxiety along with the occasional Klonopin.

It's hard to be alone and feel anxious. I like the way you pitch in at your sister's house, and also seeking support from others via Internet so you don't wear down your sister's patience by relying too much on her.

Anxiety disorders are very real, and unfortunately persist throughout life, accentuated by hormonal events. Your doctor is like a good ally in trying to balance your internal environment at a time when your hormones may be letting you down. Working at home is challenging for anyone, particularly someone who tends to get anxious easily.

Congratulations on your hard work to find a workable solution at a difficult time. I hope this forum and other Internet corners devoted to anxiety help your quest.

Best,
Jduy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

thanks Dr. Judy

Postby lili » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:28 am

I have another appointment with my doctor March 3 so I will discuss PCOS with her. I know one of my mother's sisters had to have a hysterectomy at like 45 due to a large tumor. She said she was having a lot of bleeding and when she asked her doctor he said not to complain as most women complain about not having any period. :shock: Finally she went to a different doctor who actually examined her and told her to get to the hospital immediately as she had a large tumor.

One of my other aunts on my mother side also had ahysterectomy at about age 50 due to a lot of bleeding. My mom died at age 45 so I don't know about her. My other aunt I know had to have her breast removed because of cancer. She got cancer in her colon and died in her late 50's or early 60's. I don't know if she had to have a hysterectomy.

I read a book several years ago about how acne and facial hair can be caused by too much of the male hormone androgens. Always wanted to go to a endocrinologist but never asked for a referral.

I'll ask about Yasmin BCP. My doctor wanted me to go back to the brand name BCP that I had been using before moving and being put on the generic form. Like you she suggested I take it three months in a row without the week off. I have tried taking two packs of pills back to back before (when I was going on a cruise and didn't want my period while on vacation) but I still had a period.

Do you much about the BCP Brevicon and the estrogen/progestrone levels in it?

Thanks for listening :)
LiLi
lili
Warm Pauzer

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause