Anyone Got a Gas Remedy?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Anyone Got a Gas Remedy?

Postby danmia » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:31 pm

Hi ladies,

I am having a real problem with gas this past year it's horrible. I have had IBS for years, since I was in puberty in fact. But this gas is more than I can tolerate on top of everything else. It is just so painful, it comes on with no warning, and it seems I have to wait for it to go through and exit (pardon me) which is embarrassing and involves many trips to the bathroom unless I'm home alone in which case my dogs just raise an eyebrow at me as if to say you're not blaming that one on me!!! Seriously though it is painful, and miserable, I have tried gas aid, beano but nothing works really well for me. Is there anything I can do to ease this annoying symptom.
And just as an aside, does anyone have a weird smell up their nose at certain times? It lasts a couple of days, I call it menopausal flu because I have all the symptoms of coming down with flu and then it just disappears, but the smell is really weird, you know when you have a cold that smell you get sometimes? Mysteries of being a woman I guess.
danmia
One HOT Woman!

Postby DayDreamer » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:16 pm

Have you noticed any food intolerences? I know that certain foods can be the culprits for everyone (onions, beans etc.) but sometimes it can be something you wouldn't suspect.

I discovered a few years ago that potatoes was my main culprit. Also when I went on a low carbohydrate diet (Atkins) three years ago I can honestly say I had NO wind at all. Not even a rumble!!! :D

Whenever I drop off the wagon ('cos I love my spuds!!) I can blast holes through the seat cushions!!! :oops:

Hope you find some relief soon danmia.
KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!!!!:)

Born 1953/fibroids/Post menopause since 2002
DayDreamer
One HOT Woman!

Postby Rita » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:10 pm

I went through a period of having really bad stomach pains that my doctor said was just gas. It would eventually work its way out but the pain didn't compare to the small amount of gas. She suggested that I take Enteric coated Peppermint Oil capsules, as needed. Also I started eating a yogart cup each day. I no longer have the the bad cramps or bad gas for unexplained reasons. I had researched the internet and their is a product called Primal Defense that is suppose to help. You may what to try that. Good luck.
Rita
Rita
On Fire!

Postby DaMomma » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:50 pm

Danmia, I now hold the Stinkest Farts Award in my household....it took a many a good years b4 I was bestowed this honor.. :mrgreen:

Are you sayin you go into your own bathroom in your own house if family memebers are there? I dont, I just lift a leg and let'er rip...

As far as the pain goes, tums has helped me in the past...

Also, I hear ya about havin flu like symptoms, and then I get my period sometimes..the smell up my nose...ummm no...

Aint this more fun than a barrel of monkeys?! :shock:
Are we there yet?!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
born '63/peri since 2000
DaMomma
One HOT Woman!

Postby snoopy » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:31 am

Damomma...you are killing me here at work :lol:
snoopy
Combustible

Postby DaMomma » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:56 pm

Im sorry snoop doggy.... :wink:
Are we there yet?!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
born '63/peri since 2000
DaMomma
One HOT Woman!

Postby whitemagic » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:28 am

DaMomma wrote:Danmia, I now hold the Stinkest Farts Award in my household....it took a many a good years b4 I was bestowed this honor.. :mrgreen:

Are you sayin you go into your own bathroom in your own house if family memebers are there? I dont, I just lift a leg and let'er rip...

As far as the pain goes, tums has helped me in the past...

Also, I hear ya about havin flu like symptoms, and then I get my period sometimes..the smell up my nose...ummm no...

Aint this more fun than a barrel of monkeys?! :shock:

Uh boy...............ROFLMAO. Jadie...aka Juicy...........
"I was a restless spirit on an endless flight but now my broom is losing its bristles"
whitemagic
Hot Pauzer

I can relate!

Postby Gigi40 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:00 pm

Hi,

I'm new here and a little late sending this response. But, I just wanted to say I have experienced almost the same thing you described. I've had IBS since childhood, but it has been pretty manageable most of my life. It definitely acts up around my period time (constipation and then diarrhea and painful cramping, oh the fun! :shock: ). I've also developed gas problems lately since I'm in perimenopause, and that's a new addition to my experience. :oops: Thankfully, it only happens cyclically for me and not continuously. I use Beano or Immodium Advanced when the gas becomes troublesome or painful, and that gets me through. Cutting back on dietary fats, sugars and coffee has helped as well.

I also experience differences in how things smell to me at some points in my cycle. I get extremely sensitive to smells (my favorite perfumes can give me awful headaches), and sometimes things smell warped or funny to me when they don't smell that way to other people. This also doesn't last but changes with my hormones. Interestingly, my mother experienced the exact same thing in peri.

Just want you to know you're not alone.

Hugs,

Gigi
Gigi40
On Fire!

Postby berykute » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:19 pm

I have learned to stay away from garlic,onions and curry.
I take lactaid and beano before I eat anything now!!!!
I carry gas- x with me also.
Sometimes, no matter what I do I'm a tootin mamma! :lol:
What the heck now?
berykute
One HOT Woman!

Anyone Got A Gas Remedy

Postby kar4242 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:03 am

Oh My Gosh - every night when I lay down, I have such gas and stomach noises I feel like my body has been invaded by an alien. What's up with all these wild symptoms of perimenopause. I got such a laugh reading this. Thanks for sharing. Thank God my husband (just got married last August for the first time and it's not a pretty picture witl all the symptoms I have) works nights and I'm alone so I can have my gas in peace.
kar4242
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:18 am

I really crack myself up sometimes the way I toot around the house, but I DO live alone so it's funnier that way! hahahah..... then of course there are the brain farts that come with menopause... I did this cartoon awhile back:

minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby ckvk45 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:50 am

Ok, Love the cartoon Dee !!!! Brain Farts are part of my life as well lolol I have had the gas for several years now ..starting in PMS ...Now more frequently in this peri mess ...especially certain foods ...the ones i love of course !!! simethicone does help a little
good old Gas X brand
Hugs , V
Hugs, V
ckvk45
Combustible

Postby danmia » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:26 am

Thanks everybody, I'm still tooting but at least not alone. Sometimes it is funny, but sometimes the pain is horrible until you can relieve it, the worst is when it gets stuck and you have to wait until it gurgles its way down to the exit hehehe.
Right now I am on a regimen of Gas X where would I be without it. Foods obviously do make a difference but I'm eating less and less lately trying to find anything that will agree with this stupid IBS and gas. Am I losing weight you ask NOOOOOOO which is so unfair. I love the cartoon too, even my dogs look at me now with the "was that you?" face. Luckily my husband is away 12-14 hours a day at work so at least alone I can just relax and let go.
danmia
One HOT Woman!

Postby thunderhill » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:20 am

Danmia - have you heard of the "wind relieving position?" I think I heard about it in a yoga class years ago. I used to work in a hospital and the cafeteria food there was so bad, after eating dinner, the staff used to take turns getting in the "position" in the coat closet!

Basically you get on your hands and needs, drop your head down to the floor, resting your weight on your forearms, now point your rear up in the air....it's a a miracle how quickly this will release the gas! :lol:
thunderhill

Postby DaMomma » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:33 am

Oh MY! One should take note NOT to do this when with their huneys! :oops:
Are we there yet?!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
born '63/peri since 2000
DaMomma
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Next

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause