How do you deal with frequent urination/incontinence?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

How do you deal with frequent urination/incontinence?

Postby Rita » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:56 pm

Help! I can only hold about 1/4 to a 1/2 cup of urine! It's horrible. I don't have a problem holding it when I cough or sneeze, I guess because I have to go before then. My doctor seemed to think that my estrogen and progesterone supplements would help me, it hasn't. I've tried Detrol LA, but it doesn't help. It's causing me anxiety, I worry all the time where a bathroom is, avoid trips, movies, waiting in line etc. It's ruining my life!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Anybody know if it ever gets better?????
Rita
Rita
On Fire!

Postby colopam » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:28 am

Rita

I've not had problems here (knocking on wood) but my mother did, the biggest thing is to NOT give up trying to find help. Keep open lines with your Doctor. A PT I worked with in CO worked with people dealing with incontinance, I just can't see being passive about it like the television ads promoting "Poise" etc keep calling coverage "control". Please try to search for answers online or at the bookstore even, maybe there's a study you can take part of (???). Know that you have support here and let us know how things are going we do care. Try the search feature at the top of the page and see if there are other conversations re this. Everything we do to help ourselves and share will probably be helping one of our fellow sisters here!!!

HUgs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby DaMomma » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:44 am

Rita, This happened to me about 3 years ago. It lasted for me for 3-4 months. I had went thru a period of time that I was waking up every 2 hours just to go and "piddle" as well. This all has stopped for now anyways.

Please dont quit drinking water though in efforts to ward this off. That will only complicate matters more.

It will pass Hun...have heart! Hugs*
Are we there yet?!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
born '63/peri since 2000
DaMomma
One HOT Woman!

Postby Rita » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:17 pm

Thanks ladies. It is wonderful to be able to come here to talk to other people who understand. DaMomma- Did you have any HRT that helped or it went away on it's own?
Thanks Rita
Rita
On Fire!

Postby minniepauz » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:42 am

Rita, here's a site that has just about everything you need to know about incontinence: http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html ... women.html

And here's one I found that may have a solution that doesn't involve drugs or surgery. It helps you strengthen your pelvic floor muscle: http://www.dependonmyself.com It cost $100, but I'm sure it's worth it for the most severe cases of incontinence.

Here's "Minnie's" take on the subject:
http://www.minniepauz.com/menopause-sym ... nence.html
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby DaMomma » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:34 pm

Rita, Sorry it has takem me so long to respond Hun. I was taking Premarin at the time it started getting whacky ..with the constant urge and need to "piddle"..So No..it didnt help me..

I have been off any hormones since Aug of 05 and now my body has seemed to be leveling out so much more now, especially in the last 2 months.
Are we there yet?!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
born '63/peri since 2000
DaMomma
One HOT Woman!

Postby CalicoSkies » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:17 pm

Just want to mention to be sure you have a complete physical with your gyn. Prolapsed uterus can frequently be the cause of incontinence. Your dr should be able to diagnose with a physical exam, sometimes an ultrasound will be needed to rule out tumors.
CalicoSkies

Postby Rita » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:09 am

Thanks ladies for all of your responses. I had my uterus removed because of fybroid tumors (it was the size of a football-yikes) and it was pressing on my bladder. I did get a lot of relief from just that, but still feeling the need to go often. I have a doctors appt. again in two weeks. Hopefully she can offer some more help. She wanted to see how the HRT effected it, since she really believes that is what the cause is. It just helps me to get opinions from others. After all I wouldn't even be this far if it wasn't for this site. I had tried several antidepressants with no sucess for my anxiety. After I found this site I realized that maybe it was hormones-premenopause. That is when I suggested that to my doctor. Sure enough the HRT has helped me feel so much better! I think sometimes we have to help our doctors understand what we are feeling so they can help us. So anyway thanks for all your help everyone.
Rita
Rita
On Fire!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause