Hi, I'm new here

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Hi, I'm new here

Postby dmartin64 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:46 am

Hi everyone,
I stumbled across this site one day when I was at my wits ends. I was having one of those days when I wanted to crawl out of my skin and be someone else.
I am 42 and peri-menopausal. My mother and grandmother went through it early, so I guess I am keeping up with tradition (lucky me) Fortunately I have a very supportive husband. I am taking estroven for the night sweats and hot flashes, and it has helped tremendously!
My periods are very strange..I skipped january, had one in February that only lasted about 4 days and was very light. March has been a nightmare. Very heavy at first....(7 days)...stopped for a day and I got it back...it has been 10 days of light flow....I know this is all a part of perimenopause..I guess what I am asking is...should I buy stock in the Kotex company? LOL And it seems like my mood swings have gotten worse this month. :twisted: I meditate, try to get enough sleep, try to eat right (sometimes i just have to have that box of chocolate covered donuts) and walk my dogs everyday. Is there anything else I could do, without taking perscription drugs. I told my husband last night that I am trying very hard to keep my moods in check...but sometimes I just want to rip someones head off. He hugged me..told me he loved me and then back quickly out of the room. :lol:
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Deb
dmartin64

Postby Rita » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:58 pm

HI Deb,
I'm 45 and trying to figure it all out too. From what I understand, what you are saying is just all part of it. We turn into these people we don't even know or what to be! lol :D Good luck.
Rita
Rita
On Fire!

Postby minniepauz » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:40 pm

Ladies, the best thing you can do is to expect the unexpected. Once we've started the process of changing, there's no defined "ending" or specific levels of symptoms we're going to experience, so it's best to be aware of the different things that could possibly happen and then be able to recognize them as part of the process.

There's just no better way to get through it, in my opinion. If we're aware then we're not going to be as surprised when these things happen and if certain things don't happen, we can thank our lucky stars that we didn't have it as bad as some women do.

I've said over and over in the past 10 years.....your attitude is going to make a huge difference in how you experience menopause. Sometimes it's really hard to stay positive when we feel so freakin' rotten, but it really does help in the long run to realize this is part of being a woman and it WILL pass eventually. :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby DaMomma » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:30 am

Hi gals, I agree with Dee, attitude has a huge role in how you can get through this. I have also found that by being able to talk-type with others that are experiencing some of the same helps more than its weight in gold!

Also by being gentle on yourself. embrace the scared woman, and the little girl inside you and encourage them that you'll make it through, better, stronger and wiser when all is said and done.

Dont be afraid to ask questions and also voice what you are feeling physically and mentally....ask for encouragement, if your RL family cant or wont understand, well you at least know women you can go to and get it!

welcome gals, and Hugs!
Are we there yet?!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
born '63/peri since 2000
DaMomma
One HOT Woman!

Postby snoopy » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:17 am

well I have been depressed lately about my weight.. I can't seem to get motivated to do much about it :cry: I also can't seem to get enough sleep no matter what time I go to bed :roll: I just want to scream !!
snoopy
Combustible

Postby minniepauz » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:32 am

Snoopy....try to work on one problem at a time. Stop worrying about your weight and just try to get a good night's sleep. Do this for at least a week or two....... try as many relaxing techniques as you can find. I used Sleepytime Tea when I was waking up at 3 am and couldn't get back to sleep. Maybe a hot bath or shower before bed.....or if night sweats are keeping you awake, then try some of the wicking sleepwear at http://www.serenecomfort.com In other words, do whatever it takes to get some sleep. Pamper yourself! Use some of the grocery money to buy the sleepwear and that might kill two birds with one stone! :) Sorry, couldn't resist...

You will be amazed at how much better you feel when you get enough sleep, but also be aware that you may never sleep as much as you used to. When you are concentrating on "fixing" one problem at a time, it cuts down on the worrying....... worrying doesn't help a single thing! EVER!! :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby snoopy » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:36 am

Thanks Dee :D Yes I have worried more in the last 6 months than I have in my whole life :roll:
snoopy
Combustible

Postby drjudy » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:38 am

Doughnuts (chocolate covered--perhaps those Hostess variety with the chocolate shell?) and dogs; the perfect answer to menopause.

I'll get back with more later today.

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby dmartin64 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:52 pm

Thanks everyone. I asked my mom how she got through it all, who did she talk to for advice. She told me that she went through it all by herself...she didn't talk to anyone..when she felt like crying she went to the basement. Even though my dad, bless his heart bought a book about Menopause and read it front to back a few dozen times, she refused to ask him for support or help. I am trying to take things one day at a time, and I am finding joy in every little thing. Even though I still have the urge to yell or rip someones head off..I stop and say to myself, that would make me feel better for about 15 seconds....so instead I am trying to laugh at things..and then move on.
Hostess Chocolate coverd donuts are the best things in the world!! :D
Deb
dmartin64

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause