Feelings of doom

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Feelings of doom

Postby missycford » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:01 pm

Today is the first day I have researched the subject of perimenopause. I am almost 42 and after worrying all day that I am dying, I decided to get some info to put my mind at ease. I totally convinced myself that I had a blood clot that was going to dislodge and travel to my lungs, killing me instantly. I began having shortness of breath, pains in my chest, numbness in my limbs, dizziness, anxiousness, heart palpatations and an all-over jittery feeling. I obsessed over feeling my calves to see if they were getting hard or warm which is a symptom of a blood clot.

This isn't the first time I've had this feeling. Lately I have been worrying about my parents dying, my cats dying and of course myself dying. I have been very depressed feeling like my life is over and I haven't done everything that I wanted to do with my life. I spend so much time worrying about missing out that I'm wasting valuable time that could be spent enjoying my life.

I could go on and on about my feelings of doom but I would like to share some of my symptoms to get some acknowledgement that I could be suffering from perimenopause.

First, I have my period like clock-work every month but it has gotten heavier and shorter. During my period I feel sick to my stomach, have cramps and sometimes diarrhea. When I'm ovulating I usually have the worst feelings of anxiety and nervousness as well as a pain in my ovary that kind of feels like a stitch in my side that lasts for a day.

Other than the symptoms that occur during my menstrual cycle, I also have pains in my hip, lower back and sciatic nerve. My skin itches mostly below my knees and so badly that I scratch until I bleed. My legs feel weak sometimes especially when climbing stairs. I have horrible allergies. I no longer have patience and feel like I lose control just by dropping something and having to pick it up. I can't focus and have trouble getting a thought when I need it. Sometimes I feel like I lose my balance for a second.

I am really tired of feeling this way and worry that it will only get worse. I have become a home-body and avoid my friends. I am taking wellbutrin for depression but it doesn't seem like it's working anymore.

Hopefully you're still with me at this point in my long post to accept my apology for going on and on but this is the first time I've actually acknowledged these feelings and it helps a tiny bit to get them all out and share them with others like me. I have enjoyed reading the other posts and will keep visiting this site for support. Thanks!
missycford

Postby niftyfifty1 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:07 pm

Hi missycford,
Oh my, dear one, I have been there. Your symptoms are a copy of what mine were. Really. Reading about you was remembering me.
You will be okay and get through this change. I so much know how the mind and body symptoms overwhelm at times.
So stay with us here. We help each other a lot. :D
I will look forward to your posts.
niftyfifty1

Postby minniepauz » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:04 am

Welcome Missy and please let us know how your dr. appt turns out. If you have printed out a list of symptoms (with notes) to take with you, it will help because we usually forget something once we're in the room with the doc....feeling rushed, as usual. In case you missed the page, there's a link to Print Symptoms at the bottom of this page: http://www.minniepauz.com/35symptoms.html

I know what you mean to finally get it all written down and kind of do a brain dump. It's a relief and this forum is the best place to do it because we can all relate! Even if we don't all have exactly the same experience, our combined stories are all so similar that we feel like we're "home".

Just hang in there, know that you're not dying and you're not crazy and you're DEFINITELY not alone!! (((Hugs))) I was completely post menopausal by 42 (natural) and all my symptoms started after that.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Gigi40 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:08 am

Missy,

Welcome! ((((Hugs)))) I can relate as well. I've always had anxiety problems off and on, but the hormonal swings of peri have made them a more frequent and difficult problem. I've had the other stuff as well - weird physical pains and feelings (and those just feed into the anxiety!). So, you're not alone, not at all! Hope your doc appointment goes well and you get some relief. Please hang in there and keep posting as needed. :)

Gigi
Gigi40
On Fire!

Postby minniepauz » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:20 am

I just checked and Missy didn't have her "notify me" activated, so I think that's why she hasn't been back yet. I don't think a lot of women realize how great that feature is! :)

I activated it for her, so I hope she comes back to see all the great support being offered.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby missycford » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:32 pm

Thanks everyone for making me feel welcome and not alone. I appreciate everyone's post. Sorry I haven't checked back in, I'm going out of town tomorrow and I have lots to do. Of course all day I have worried that I'm going to have a panic attack on the plane, I wish I could just relax. I'll be back when I return to catch up. Thanks again for you help and support.
missycford

Postby drjudy » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:15 am

Dear Missy (for when you return),

You are obviously suffering from a lot of anxiety with panic attacks. Wellbutrin is a great drug for depression, but it does nothing for anxiety. Perimenopause, with its fluctuations in estrogen levels, is a potent precipitant for anxiety.

Consider discussing the possibility with your doctor that a different antidepressant, perhaps added to your Wellbutrin, could change the way you feel for the better. Far better. Medications that would help include Zoloft, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, or Cymbalta.

Best,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby susie-q » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:59 am

Dear Missy, You have described the exact way I feel. I am 38 years old and I have every symptom that you have listed. Sometimes I feel like I just want to crawl out of my skin and I am constantly wondering when I will feel like myself again. The anxiety and obsessive thoughts bother me the most. I also have the pain in my side at mid-month and it seems to radiate to my lower back and legs. My anxiety is at its worst at this time and I feel depressed and I can't seem to concentrate. My allergies are also out of control and I get an off- balance feeling , sometimes I feel like I can't even see straight. I get very irritated and edgy and have an impending doom feeling. The duration and flow of my periods has also changed. Things that never seemed to bother me before have now become obsessive thoughts. I worry about everything! I just want to be the person I used to be. I hope this website will help you as much as it has helped me . It is nice to know there are lots of people who feel the way we do and we are not losing our minds. :) Susie-Q
susie-q
Warm Pauzer

Postby hotandcold » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:00 am

missycford,

I'm so sorry you are feeling this way, and I know how you feel, because i have days like that too My sister is the same way tooooo, she had so many tests and so many trips to the doctor. All the tests showed nothing wrong with her, and finally she told herself to "take a flying leap" and that she was not going to worry about it anymore. It's all mind over matter.

Think possitive...
hotandcold

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause