Screwy sleep patterns...

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Screwy sleep patterns...

Postby psexypsychic » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:56 pm

This is more of a bitch-fest than asking a question. Feel free to gripe along with me... so I know I'm not just going insane.

Lately (for a few months now, I guess), I've been not sleeping well at night. Night sweats wake me up, and I also have a pain issue in my feet/legs that sometimes keeps me up (doc prescribed Vicodin but it doesn't always work).

Anyway, before, I'd have a rough night (as I put it mildly) and I'd just trudge through my day tired. But lately, I've been having those rough nights, then taking a nap in the daytime for hours!! I've usually got things to do and just sleeping for hours doesn't help. I don't always feel any better after those naps either.

And, my periods are pretty unpredictable (but I can usually guess within a few days because of how my body feels), it seems to get worse leading up to a period. I tried to explain it to my husband as: "I'm stuck in the limbo of having menopausal stuff going on and still having menstrual stuff going on."

Today was one of those days where I was awake off and on half the night and then ended up napping for three hours (not three straight, of course, I woke up a few times). I'm going to try to keep myself conscious tomorrow and then sleep like a normal human tomorrow night.

*sigh*

*~my MySpace~*

diagnosed perimeno at 36 years old
psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:38 pm

Yep, all of it sounds familiar...except the part about the doc giving you vicodin for foot pain???? What's that about? Is vicodin the new aspirin?

You're SO in the throes of peri that it's hard to determine what to concentrate on first (then your concentration goes too!), but do what you have to to get as much sleep as you can (meaning a good night's sleep). I was doing the afternoon thing too and I kept saying "thank God I work at home!".

Sounds like it's time to readjust to your fluctuating hormones and see if there's something you need to change or add or.......
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby iluvtolaff » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:09 pm

I would almost KILL for a good night's sleep! I have been having awful insomnia for almost a year now--at least 3 to 4 nights a week! I have tried prescription sleeping pills, OTC sleep aids, Benadryl, Midol PM, numerous supplements---all resulting in no help whatsoever, like I didn't take anything at all! Hell, I even tried getting snockered one night and I was a wide-awake drunk all night and moved in sllloooowwww motion all the next day! Nothing is helping me. I get so frustrated at times and almost desperate!! I just want a normal good night's sleep. I've been without periods for 2 years now, I sure hope this isn't going to last forever!
Hot Flashes are a way of life!

My Paint Shop Page
iluvtolaff
One HOT Woman!

Postby psexypsychic » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:25 am

The Vicodin isn't just for foot pain. I've had a chronic pain in my right foot for over three years (I'm on the waiting list to see a podiatrist- its the Veteran's hospital). I have arthritis in various places as well. Sometimes the arthritis in my hands is so bad I have to hold my hands up otherwise they hurt too much. But the foot and leg pain are what's prominent right now. The Vicodin just takes the edge off and usually makes me loopy enough to sleep. And I only take one single pill at night- never during the day.

The pain in my foot is so intrusive that I've named it- his name is Stanley. Sometimes, I'll limp through my living room and my 16 year old will ask what's wrong and I'll say, "Stanley's being a bitch today."

I've learned though, that hormones will kick Vicodin's butt any time they want to!

*~my MySpace~*

psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby colopam » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:22 am

PSP

I've often said that it's unfair being premenstrual and perimenopausal at the same time, can't remember why I'm bitchy!!!! LOL

Had a bout of insomnia that lasted about 2 1/2 months, 1/2 -3 hr's sleep a nite, awful!!! Have had a couple of good weeks of sleep lately, tho things keep coming up at work that are causing me to close more often (I really think I'm the only one my boss trusts to close and he keeps coming up with reasons that I NEED to) which increases the insomnia (monkey mind and exhaustion).

Hang in there girl!!!
Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby KayB » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:54 am

I take melatonin at night and it really helps.. Since I started taking it consistantly my sleep patterns have vastly improved (even with the occasional night chill).
KayB
Combustible

Sleep.....where ARE you ??

Postby cin-d-rella » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:52 am

Dear World of Minnie-Women,

I feel so alone right now, but I know there are lots of you out there.
It is 4:37 a.m. and I haven't slept a wink yet. Rrrrr.
Man, some weeks things are so good and then WHAM. This week everything is wrong. The arthritis in my shoulders, hands and feet are all flaring up, muscles feel like steel rope, I can't sleep, my stomach has been just 'off' with bloat (it is not even near to my still ever-so-regular period time) and I have been constantly HOTTER than H*LL and then COLDER than a naked Winnipegger in winter !! I swear I adjust the thermostat/a.c. EVERY time I walk past it.
I ordered some Melatonin by mail last night. We can't buy it here in Canada apparently. I am glad to have read KayB's post (I think) about the melatonin being helpful because I have my routine, or lack of one all messed up. It would be nice to have a sleeping schedule. It might help the insomnia too. Sorry, i just had to ramble and vent. Gee, what a surprise, I feel a 'hot one' coming on......must go prepare to sweat. My body changes temp. more than moods. AHHHHHHHHHHH. Bye for now, Cin-d-rella.
cin-d-rella
One HOT Woman!

Postby colopam » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:57 am

Cin-d

Hugs to you girl!!

When I have the insomnia I wish I could put a reason for it but most of the time I'm not able to. I really hope the Melatonin helps, let us know 'k?

Hugs girl I hope you get some rest.

Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

sleeplessness

Postby cin-d-rella » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:48 pm

Thanks Pam,
Will keep you posted on the melatonin. I did sleep, finally, but it was all day. (I am retired). That is just NOT good. Oh well, I am going to get some xrays done and then satrt a fitness program; slowly, slowly so as not to mess up my joints even more.
Hugs back to you, Cin-d.
cin-d-rella
One HOT Woman!

not sleeping

Postby adjo » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:52 pm

I have been trying to convince my Dr. for a few years now to test me to see if I am peri but she will not because I am young for what is traditionally considered the age to begin. (41) I have been suffering from night sweats/chills and not sleeping for on and off, about a year. I can't figure out what to take, what to do, how to make my husband not jump up and protest me moving around in bed due to these symptoms. He wakes everytime I move an inch, out of concern, though I wish he wouldn't.
If anyone has any suggestions, as I am very uninformed and new to this, I would greatly appreciate it. :([/img]
adjo

Postby psexypsychic » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:59 pm

I printed out the list of 35 symptoms and took it to my doctor and showed her (at the time) that I had most of them. She didn't care. Then I got a new doctor (VA changes docs every few years because its a teaching hospital with the University of WI). I did the same thing, and he listened. He still had to go through the BS I mentioned in another thread about all the tests and everything, but that's hospital regulations not his.

Anyway, a non-VA doctor would probably listen a little sooner than mine did.

Now if I could just get him to give me a hysterectomy, I'd be happy.

*~my MySpace~*

psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby psexypsychic » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:31 pm

Well, here I am again. Wide awake, buzzed on my pain meds and unable to sleep.

This time, the culprit is the itchy, crawly skin feeling. I told my husband that it feels like I've got bugs or something squirming under my skin. Then I said, "You know, kinda like I'm on a bad drug trip- the bugs! the bugs!!" He laughed. I said, "Dude, I'm tweaking over here and you laugh! Get me some choclate, STAT!"

He didn't, dangit. But anyway, I'm awake, I'm itchy, and I'm hungry.

*~my MySpace~*

psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:33 am

I've FINALLY found some good medicated cream that helps my itchy skin...now, I'm dealing with psoriasis, so my itch may be more extreme than yours, but anything is worth a try, right? :) It's Gold Bond Medicated Body Lotion. I actually bought two different kinds of Gold Bond (at $8.69 each!) but the medicated one has the anti-itch formula and it really works! I've tried so many creams and nothing would penetrate the dry, scaley psoriasis plaques until this!

Hope this helps!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby psexypsychic » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:16 am

I actually have some Gold Bond anti-itch! I never thought to use any of it because I didn't think it would help because I didn't think it was an actual skin condition. I definitely will the next time it acts up on me.

*~my MySpace~*

psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause