strange odor with night sweats!?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

strange odor with night sweats!?

Postby pethikemou » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:22 am

hi all,
what a great forum this is. i really appreciate the consistent positive support everyone offers to the questions brought here.
i am 43yo and have been experiencing peri symptoms for several years...most are typical and i have found ways to get relief for most. the most interesting has been occuring for the last year. as i was searching the web for answers, came across this post from 2004:

Dear Minnie:

I've been going thru peri-menopause for the last 6 months or so . I've been getting these hot flashes which turn into an unusual body odor. It seems to come up off my chest. It smells kind of like salt and vinegar, McDonalds Fries, musky odor , just rather unpleasant....

okay, this is exactly what happens to me, but only at night and only occassionally. i will awaken to find i have been perspiring aroud the neck/chest area (my jammies will be damp) with the accompanying smell like vinegar! this is the only other reference that i have seen addressing this condition (not the sweating, but the odd odor...not like normal sweat smell at all). :?

anyone? any info would be sincerely appreciated.

thanks,
jeannie
pethikemou

Postby psexypsychic » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:24 am

I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner...

Back when I was pregnant with my second child, I became severely dehydrated (I ended up in the ER to get IVs). Anyway, before I knew I was so dehydrated, I had an odor when I would get overheated (not sweating, because, I was so dehydrated). And that odor would be sort of like what I'd had to eat. What I remember most was chicken soup. I was sickly feeling (again, didn't know at the time I was so dehydrated) so I ate some soup to try and feel better.

Anyway- now that I have the hot flash/night sweats thing going on- I notice a faint version of this and in MY case, it seems to be a tip off that I'm getting a little dehydrated and need to drink more.

Usually, my night sweats make me wake up stinking like I worked out. Too bad it doesn't take off calories for me too. ;)

*~my MySpace~*

diagnosed perimeno at 36 years old
psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby CareJoy » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:05 pm

I don't even know if I'm in the correct forum, I'm guessing perimenopause might be it. But in the last 3 months of so, everytime I awake, I get up and go to the bathroom, when I come back to my room is when I can smell my own odor and feel heat. I don't recall any heavy sweating than normal, but I also sleep very hard, if I'm sweating more than normal because my blanket is too heavy I'm not aware of it. This always happens now and I feel like if I can smell it then anyone else can really smell it! I bathe everysingle morning before going to work and now I'm wondering if I smell at work. I'm afraid. I put a call in to my dr. but she has not returned my call yet and I'm just wondering if this is a symptom of perimenopause? Will it go away? If not, no one is going to want to be my friend or even get close to me.
CareJoy

Postby Bashful » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:30 pm

I think you are on the right track by talking to your doctor first. It may be peri or it may be something else. A lot of gals here also have thyroid issues. And I did that due to the thyroid. Your doc can do a work up to make sure any other potential problems are resolved.

I also sweat a lot at night with an odd smell. I also crave salt laden foods and sometimes a 1/4 teaspoon salt itself. I think these may be signs that I am getting dehydrated.
Bashful

Postby CareJoy » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:40 pm

Bashful wrote:I think you are on the right track by talking to your doctor first. It may be peri or it may be something else. A lot of gals here also have thyroid issues. And I did that due to the thyroid. Your doc can do a work up to make sure any other potential problems are resolved.

I also sweat a lot at night with an odd smell. I also crave salt laden foods and sometimes a 1/4 teaspoon salt itself. I think these may be signs that I am getting dehydrated.

I do take medicine for thyroid already and it's checked each year. I do go back to the dr. next month and I will tell her about my odor. Also, I'm going to finally take this heavy comforter off of my bed which could be the culprit since I'm always in a deep sleep. I could be sweating heavily because of it and not know it. Though when I do wake up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night or wake up in the morning I'm not wet. At times I have been just a little but not soaked. I will try to drink more water and less pop in the meantime.

I'm now self conscience about it and I hope I do not smell at work. I guess my blood tests should tell me something.....like...this too shall pass. Otherwise I'll never get another date.
CareJoy

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause