Peri and Fibro...anyone else?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Peri and Fibro...anyone else?

Postby CathyW » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:00 am

I have had fibromyalgia for years and have learned to live with the pain :( but recently the muscle pain and stiffness has become unreal. I awake in the middle of the night (when I'm lucky enough to sleep) not being able to move. Does anyone else here have both fibro and going through peri? Has you fibro become worse since entering into peri? HELP PLEASE I'm just not able to function anymore
Cathy
born 1960/peri/fibroids/hypothyroidism/on Disability because of FM
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:25 am

Cathy, I have not been diagnosed with fibromyalgia (although I've suspected I might have it) and I'm post-menopausal, not peri, so I truly don't know if I can relate to what you're going through. I have noticed a distinct difference is the stiffness I feel when I've been sitting or laying....I'm like a 90 yr. old woman trying to get my body moving!! Getting in and out of the car or even out of my office chair brings on some grunting and groaning on my part and I've been taking Aleve to see if that really does help. So far I can't tell much difference.

Here's some info I found that connects the two conditions:
Researchers have found that women who are in the post menopause stage typically have more severe fibromyalgia related symptoms than women who have not gone through menopause.

Why does this correlation exist? It may have to do with the fact that estrogen levels in women drop significantly after menopause. In fact, women who have passed the stage of menopause typically produce forty percent less estrogen than women who are pre-menopausal.

Of course, not only do low estrogen levels increase the chance of developing osteoporosis, low levels of estrogen after menopause can have an impact on mood (states of anxiety and depression) and sleep patterns, both of which are implicated in the onset of fibromyalgia.

I do hope you can keep moving and not feel so constrained by the pain. What kind of treatments are the doctors recommending for fibro?

Here's what my friend, Susun Weed says about it:
http://www.menopause-metamorphosis.com/ ... yalgia.htm
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby CathyW » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:08 am

Thank you Dee for your reply and the info. I've suspected maybe dropping estrogen is the problem for this truley awlful fibro flare up. Estrogen level was "borderline normal" about 1 1/2 years ago. Hasn't been checked since. Last period was very unusual for me as it only lasted 3 days and 2 of those was just spotting. This severe muscle stiffness started around the same time. I guess for someone that already has fibro if you add the muscle prob associated with peri on top of that I get what I am experiencing now. Dr's (around here anyway) aren't much help with fibro. I received B12 shots monthly and have tried AD but they haven't helped in the past. Magnesium does help some but flares up the IBS the many fibro patients have. I think its time to try an AD again. Even if it doesn't help the pain because I feel like I'm sinking emotionally :(

Thanks again
((hug))
Cathy
Cathy
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:07 pm

Some additional information about this issue:

Women predominate at all ages among patients diagnosed as having primary fibromyalgia. Of 100 patients reviewed, the average age at onset of fibromyalgia was 46. Of 65 patients in whom menopause occurred before diagnosis of fibromyalgia, the average age at menopause was 42, and most of these women had menopause related to surgery and insufficient estrogen therapy. Estrogen deficit is, thus, a prominent promoting factor in the majority of fibromyalgia patients and is likely to have an effect on sleep, mood, and anxiety state. These emotional responses may subsequently be somatized as pain. Therefore, estrogen therapy should be added to the treatment armamentarium for fibromyalgia in selected patients.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby CathyW » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:49 pm

Interesting indeed. I was dx with fibro in my mid 30's. Just turned 46 last week. Not sure I want to go the HRT route but can't live like this. Has to be a way to get some relief and have a somewhat normal life. Thanks Dee
Cathy
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:11 pm

Please post to Dr. Judy about the hrt....you don't have to be afraid of it. REally...check into it further. :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

New treatment option?

Postby ILaff » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:42 pm

My brother has been struggling with fibro for years. He was recently put on the drug provigil. He has had great success and is actyually putting out feelers with regard to returning to work.

I know this drug was first approved for treatment of mild narcolepsy. I do not know how it came to be used for fibro BUT if it might work then it's worth a shot. :)
ILaff
Don't complain; don't explain
Katherine Hepburn
ILaff

Postby CathyW » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:22 pm

Thanks ILaff

I've never heard of that drug before but I will look into it and see if its available here in Canada. Thats wonderful that it has helped your brother so much. He must be thrilled to get rid of this pain and get his life back!

Cathy
Cathy
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby michelilow » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:07 pm

I have been wondering for two years whether I may be have fibromyalgia, as I suffer with terrible headaches & muscle stiffness in my shoulders, neck, head & lower back. I am also having problems with pain in my knees & cannot kneel or cross my legs or I cannot get up afterwards.
I am 43 & I have been having perimenopausal symptoms since I turned 40. I am having blood tests at the moment to check for rhumatoid arthritis but it was suggested it could be fibromyalgia.
It used to be I got the unbearable headaches start on about the fourth day of my period & then they would stop when it had finished but now the stiffness & tension seems to be constant & the headachey feeling is always there. I have been a depression sufferer on & off for most of my life & thought the headaches were part & parcel of the illness but I have just finished two years of counselling which really helped me, so I don't know what to think is causing them. I am constantly taking painkillers which my GP tells me does no good, as you get the rebound headaches but he is not the one who has to take to his bed when they are really bad!
I have tried various supplements to no avail. I thought it may be my posture causing the pain in my muscles but I have tried to correct this as well & it has made no difference. Hour long massages work for about three days & then the stiffness is back. I am one fed up perimenopauser!!
Michele
michelilow
On Fire!

Postby CathyW » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:04 pm

Michelle I'm so sorry that you are going through this also. This muscle pain and stiffness in unbearable. My latest is my entire left arm..from shoulder right down to my fingers...so very sore. Heat helps some.
Have you ever had your thyroid checked Michelle? Hypothyroidism can also cause muscle pain, stiffness and depression. It also mimics peri as it can cause mentrual irregularities also. Hope your blood tests come back ok. Good luck and I hope we both find relief soon!
Cathy
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby michelilow » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:33 pm

Cathy,
seems I have not got rhumatoid arthritis after all but my GP now is pretty sure it is fibromyalgia. He gave me a perscription for 10mg of amitriptyline, which no way am I going to attempt to take. I had to come off dothiepin which is in the same tricylic group, after taking it for depression for 13 years. I finally came off the dreadful stuff 2 years ago after collapsing twice during the night on only 25 mg. I would rather walk over hot coals than attempt any antidepressant ever again, so it looks as if the painkillers I have been taking for the headaches will have to suffice whilst they are working. Thinking back, I think I may have had this since my teens & twenties, as I had terrible tension headaches & IBS then but I just passed it off as stress causing it. Now I have the dizziness problems with it as well. The stiffness makes me feel 90 years old some days. At least if I live to that age, I will know what to expect in advance!
Michele
michelilow
On Fire!

Postby CathyW » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:28 pm

I'm sorry Michelle that your still suffering. Could you possibly see a Rheumatologist? Depending on where you live even one that specializes in Fibro? I tried the anti depression route at first but didn't find any relief from the fibro. Actually no drugs of any type have really helped. As you can see from my siggy that I actually had to stop work and go on disability because of it. Here in Canada the Arthritis Society has Fibro programs with certain Physiotherapists to run groups for newly dx people. The teach you certain stretches and much needed coping skills. Please look into the Arthritis Society in your area and see if they offer anything like that. If I can help in anyway please let me know.

There is a great site for info and support at:
http://www.fibrohugs.com/forum/index.php

Gentle (((HUGS))) because sometimes even a hug hurts with FM!!
CAthy
Cathy
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby SUZYQ » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:20 am

Hi everyone:

I can so relate to everything you all are talking about. I started peri at 43 and I am now 46, how interesting to hear everyone talking about stiffness, joint pain, shoulder neck and pretty much every part of the body. I just started that about 2 months ago, can hardly walk when I get up in the morning and it gets somewhat better during the day, but when I sit or lay down for long periods of time, the stiffness in my knees, shoulders, back and neck are that of a 90 year old. My 83 year old mother in law can run circles around me. I keep telling my husband that this is crazy, thinking I have RA or osteoarthritis. Tests are negative. I just try to stay on a regiment of Advil (liquid Caps seem to be best). Each year, it seems something new comes up to battle just as I get adjusted to the last one. Also, I was diagnosed with IBS. I haven't had a period since July 9th, so I am at 3 months..... hopefully I can keep it away for another 9 months. Does anyone else experience during the cycle odd chest pains, like in the front center, muscular type?? It seems to go away a couple days after I am suppose to start. Then I feel pretty good for about 3 days, then thats the end of that. I will keep looking at alternatives and let you know if I find any. My OB/GYN wants me on BC pills. I almost am at the point of getting the RX filled, but keep holding out. He says it will cure all my symptoms (HA HA). Consider the source!!!!

Well God Bless and we will make it!! I hear laughter is good medicine for the bones!! Keep laughing!!
SUZYQ
Hot Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:13 am

SuzyQ....you might want to go ahead and try the BC pills because of your age. Hey, if it doesn't seem to help and make you feel better, you can stop taking them.... :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby colopam » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:38 am

SuzyQ

My Dr. put me on LoEstrin, a low dose BCP after hearing about some of my peri symptoms. I guess I'm amongst one of the "lucky" ones in that my Dr. is my age and is going thru the same things I am. She's open and has told me what she's tried and what works for her and is open to offering me the same but doesn't try to push anything on me or pooh pooh my symptoms. Anyway, I like how I feel on the BCP's she just wanted me to try them for a few months but I REALLY like how I feel and since I was suffering from flooding and hard cramping before they've helped with that tremendously too, and now she's extended my Rx.

Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Next

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause