Non-stop period

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Non-stop period

Postby Lady_56 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:45 am

I have been spotting/light bleeding non-stop for 6 weeks now. Have only been getting extremely light but regular periods since April this year which have been lasting between 9 - 19 days, but this time it's just not stopping. I am 49 years old and have been peri for several years.
Has anyone else had this? It's really starting to get me down.
Lady_56
Combustible

Postby minniepauz » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:56 am

Lady, you need to make an appointment with your doctor. Let us know when you find out what's causing the lengthy bleeding, ok?
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby drjudy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:46 am

Dear Sheryl,

The long periods of perimenopause result from a loss of the normal, orderly hormonal events that both set off and stop a period. The lack of ovulation results in a loss of progesterone, so the uterine lining tends to get thicker resulting in a change in the quality of the bleeding.

During our reproductive years, the upswing of estrogen that occurs during our period as we get ready to ovulate again starts to heal over the uterine lining, stopping the flow. No ovulation therefore also means that we never get that brisk rise that puts an end to the period.

Other uterine abnormalities can, however, cause never-ending periods. You should discuss this situation with your doctor.

Hang in there; even perimenopause ends.

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby Lady_56 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:34 am

Thanks girls. I never go to a Doctor, only a Chiropractor, so I guess I will just tough it out unless the Chiro can do anything for menopause stuff.
Thankyou for the detailed explanation about hormones Dr Judy, I had kind of assumed that hormones might have something to do with it.
If it goes on for too much longer or if I have any other symptoms I know I will have to see a Doctor, just not keen on the idea is all. I lost faith in Medical Doctors many years ago. :(
Lady_56
Combustible

Re: Non-stop period

Postby vickinot » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:38 pm

Lady_56 wrote:I have been spotting/light bleeding non-stop for 6 weeks now. Have only been getting extremely light but regular periods since April this year which have been lasting between 9 - 19 days, but this time it's just not stopping. I am 49 years old and have been peri for several years.
Has anyone else had this? It's really starting to get me down.

Yes, I am dealing with it right now, except I am just 12 days in to my latest episode. For me it seems consistent with hormonal off-balances. I know my body pretty well and it usually balances itself out. But since I turned 50 and signs are obviously heading me to menopause, let's just say it's "interesting". :o
vickinot

Postby Lady_56 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:23 am

Thanks vickinot. Not just me then. Last 2 days there has been nothing but a bit of light brown discharge so I am hoping it is stopping. After 7 weeks it's going to take me a while to have the confidence to stop wearing panty-liners though. It certainly is "interesting". Such a wonderful stage of life this peri stuff. :?
Lady_56
Combustible

Postby Lady_56 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:45 am

Yay!! It finally stopped 3 days ago. :D :D :D
Lady_56
Combustible

Postby vickinot » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:51 am

Pray that mine does. :( 15 days and counting and I'm now trying progresterone cream.
vickinot

Postby Lady_56 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:27 am

Good luck vickinot! Feels wonderful not to have to wear panty-liners anymore. After 7 or so weeks of spotting I thought it would never stop. Hopefully I wont have to see it again for a long time, but anything could happen. I am not on any meds, choosing to tough it out as long as possible. Hope you have a break from it soon too. :)
Lady_56
Combustible

Postby snoopy » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:44 pm

this last go around of mine has been lingering for about 2 weeks.... :roll:
I want to weigh what I used to weigh back when I thought I WAS FAT!
snoopy
Combustible

Postby Lady_56 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:16 am

Drives ya crazy doesn't it! :x
Lady_56
Combustible

Postby vickinot » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:23 am

Lady_56 wrote:Good luck vickinot! Feels wonderful not to have to wear panty-liners anymore. After 7 or so weeks of spotting I thought it would never stop. Hopefully I wont have to see it again for a long time, but anything could happen. I am not on any meds, choosing to tough it out as long as possible. Hope you have a break from it soon too. :)

OK, I think I can say I'm done now. Grand total was 16 days. If progesterone cream helped this, it rocks!
vickinot

Postby Lady_56 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:45 am

Well done vickinot! Let's hope we have earned a decent break from it now. Must say I am enjoying the freedom, even been game enough to wear my best white panties for the first time in a couple of months. :D
Lady_56
Combustible

Postby minniepauz » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:10 pm

Girls...your relief is my relief!! :) Let's hope that was the grand finale! May not be the end of the periods, but hopefully for the long term ones!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby DayDreamer » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:56 am

Hi there lady 56 and vickinot,

I was reading your posts with all the good advice you had, and it reminded me of my own experiences leading up to the cessation of my periods.....(I've been in menopause for over four years now.)

I just wanted to say 'hang on in there', because it will get better. :) I remember only having about ten days between periods; and each period lasting nearly three to four weeks!!.....obviously it felt the wrong way around!!! LOL. :? The worst bits were the 'flooding' episodes too, where 'doubling' up the thickest towels and the tampons (at the same time) seemed like King Canute holding back the sea...heh heh :x
I finally went to the doctors and had tests (which frustratingly showed me not in peri), but did show up a fibroid in my uterous which can commonly cause heavy periods too. However, only a year into having these long and exhausting 'bleeds', my periods stopped completely, (never even having a spot!) and my fibroid has shrank away with every drop in estrogen levels ever since. :D :D

Not only did it prove in retrospect that I was in 'full-blown', head-achy, dizzying, forgetful, heated and raging PERI menopause: it heralded
the last dying gasps of having ANY periods (and no more hated towels and tampons for bleeding)......any more :D

I hope that coming from a meno gal........it gives hope to you peri gals.... to hang on only a little longer:(after you have been checked out by your doctors to eliminate any other causes), that this awful phase comes to a happy end!!! :D :roll: :lol:

Take good care and hope.
KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!!!!:)

Born 1953/fibroids/Post menopause since 2002
DayDreamer
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Next

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause