hypothyroidism

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Postby KayB » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:21 am

It's been awhile since I posted about this but my testing for all areas of thyroid revealed me to be "ok" with good levels. Now I did discover I have gallbladder issues--this was shortly after I was wondering about the thyroid and something I did not anticipate...
KayB
Combustible

Hashimoto's Thryroiditis

Postby S » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:58 pm

Talk about unexpected results! I thought I was hypothyroid until my doctor told me that I had Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I had all the symptoms (my mom is also hypothyroid), but my tests came back hyperthyroid!

The full details are in Dr. Judy's forum: http://minniepauz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2375
This is an auto-immune disease. My thryroid is running full-on until enough cells are destroyed and becomes hypothyroid. The hyperthyroid stage is somewhat rare, which is why it's mostly associated with hypothyroid problems.

I'm lucky that the nurse practitioner (an overworked, under-appreciated profession) who did the original assessment was smart enough to include the thyroid antibody test.
S

Postby colopam » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:33 pm

S
I agree...my NP "discovered" my Hypo- status when asking about my cycle and menstrual flow (flooding and heavy cramps)...I took her flowers on my next visit because she had changed my life sooooo much!!

HUgs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:11 am

I'm so tired of it all.
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's 17 years ago (about 7 months after my first child).
I had thought I might be anaemic as I nearly collapsed while out shopping...or very exhausted as he hardly slept for the first year or more..

Now I'm almost 48 with 2 teenagers and a disabled husband, (spondylitis etc) who is fitter than me in many ways, as he can keep active...he has to, to keep the pain away...and is on loads of meds.

But he cannot always understand what things feel like for me...most of the time he is great, very loving...but sometimes he and the kids seem so far from understanding what it's like to be me...and say harsh things.
well how could they understand I suppose?

I've got some queries about some pre-menopause symptoms, but I'll try and find a relevant thread.

Hi by the way...my first post.
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:37 am

We totally understand "at heart"...the whole thing gets to be such a drag and then when you add teenagers and a disabled husband...well, it's just not fair!! The only thing I can say is to start taking care of YOU. Put YOU first for a change....don't wait around for kids or hubby to suddenly realize all you've done and now you need some TLC. This has been the biggest realization for women when they reach this time in life...it's time for ME!! That takes on various meanings for each one of us, but you do what feels right.

We're here to support you through this, no matter how you decide to deal with it. Glad you found Minnie Pauz! Welcome!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:41 am

Thanks for the welcome Minnie Pauz :)
I've gone through the 7 pages of this section and can't find something that specifically addresses my main concern, so I'll start a new topic.
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby colopam » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:58 pm

The search function at the top of the page might help in your quest too, but don't worry, we're ALWAYS ready for a new topic!!!
Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Previous

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause