Room for another newbie??

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Room for another newbie??

Postby greenbeens » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:36 pm

Hi, my name is Ann and I'll be 47 next month. I just found this site yesterday and haven't had a lot of time to surf around, so bear with me if questions I ask have been done before :D .
I have an 11 year old son and experienced a miscarriage 8 years ago. My cycles have always been pretty normal. The last few years, they have been darn near text book! Recently though, I had 2 periods in one month, then experienced an annovulatory cycle, and this cycle was 41 days long! :shock: I have asked my nurse practioner about the onset of menopause, but she says as long as I have a period, not to worry. Last month I was having hot flashes that I was sure were going to reduce my entire house to ashes! Now, they're gone! Is that normal too?
Thanks in advance for your patience. I look forward to being able to tap all the sage advice around here!
Ann

Wife to Andy since 1991
Mother to Andrew since 1995
Bounced into life in 1959!Image
greenbeens
Warm Pauzer

Postby drjudy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:47 pm

Dear Ann,

Welcome to the forum--I'm sure you'll be pleased with the company and the good humor with which we all help each other through this little adventure.

The worst answer I gave to a patient years ago in your position was that it was impossible to experience hot flashes and periods at the same time. Well I certainly found out personally and through the experience of 100's of other women how wrong I was.

You are a most typical case of early perimenopause. Variable cycle lengths plus here-again-gone-again symptoms. You'll survive it no matter what you choose to do about it, but if the symptoms become overwhelming in a definite interfere with daily life sort of way, you might consider seeking more information about ways to smooth out the hormonally rough spots.

Again, we're pleased you've joined us here.

Best,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby greenbeens » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:51 pm

Judy, thank you so much! I have a dear friend who told me that I could not be having "real" hot flashes if they go away because that just doesn't happen!! It's nice to know I'm not crazy. Secret to share; yesterday before my period finally showed up after an agnozing 41 day cycle, I was in tears until I found this site. I have been having the most incredible mood swings and emotional rollercoasters-I really did feel like I was slowly losing my mind. It's nice to know I'm not alone, thank you!
Ann

Wife to Andy since 1991
greenbeens
Warm Pauzer

Postby colopam » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:05 pm

Ann

I'm sooo glad you found us!! You'll find alot of answers to your questions and some of the most wonderful women around!!! We're so lucky to have Dr. Judy to kind of shepherd us and calm our concerns and give us a push towards our docs when we need it!!! Dee's humor has gotten me thru some stressful times. Peruse the different boards and as a hint the search function at the top of the page may save you alot of effort concerning your questions and concerns. Hope to "see" you often!!!
Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby greenbeens » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:20 pm

Pam, thank you too for the warm welcome!! I'm already starting to feel "at home" here, lol! Lot's of useful information I'm finding, but especially helpful are the questions I will have ready to ask on my next appointment!! I'll be writing them down too, as the frame of mind I've been in lately is not very condusive to exellent memory skills!! :lol:
Ann

Wife to Andy since 1991
greenbeens
Warm Pauzer

Postby colopam » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:46 pm

Ann

Be sure to print out the 35 symptoms (I still still say 36 including my babbling lol). Be sure to mark all the ones you experience no matter how little or infrequently. If you mark things down with a date or time you might notice cycles or triggers (this worked well for my headaches and shows the Dr. alot as they are often stressed for time. That's how I found out that Splenda was behind some of my migraines!!!). When we lived in TN I used to go to the Dr.'s with my DMIL to interpret as well as make sure nothing was missed, I tend to write things down and check them off being very concise as to not waste time and to get my point across.

Hugs Pam
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby greenbeens » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:05 am

Ooo, great idea Pam! I'm going to print the list right now! I was reading through it last night and just shaking my head at how many hit the mark with me!
Ann

Wife to Andy since 1991
greenbeens
Warm Pauzer

Postby colopam » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:57 am

Ann
It's also nice to be able to look at what I've marked before and what pertains now, some things change others stay the same and some I haven't experienced yet but I'll know that if they do show up that I'm not going nuts (ok , not too nuts)
HUgs Pam
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:33 pm

I hope this page has been easy to find for everyone: http://www.minniepauz.com/printsymptoms.html

Ann, your comment about burning the house down reminded me of this cartoon I did not too long ago. Actually, it was one of the caption contest toons and someone won some great prizes for coming up with the winning caption. :)

minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby greenbeens » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:17 pm

:lol: :lol: Love it Minnie!! Definitely a "been there, done that" moment!!! :lol:
Ann

Wife to Andy since 1991
greenbeens
Warm Pauzer

Postby psexypsychic » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:32 am

Wait, we can call the fire department for this? Excellent... lots of our firefighters are total eye candy.
:lol:

Welcome, Greenbeans. ;)

*~my MySpace~*

diagnosed perimeno at 36 years old
psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby greenbeens » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:51 pm

Wait, we can call the fire department for this? Excellent... lots of our firefighters are total eye candy.

Now that's what I call making lemonade out of lemons!!! :lol: Thanks for the welcome PsexyPsychic!!
Ann

Wife to Andy since 1991
greenbeens
Warm Pauzer

Postby DLJones3423 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:59 pm

Hi Ann (and everyone else!),

You're not alone! :D I turned 40 this past April, and before my birthday, I had already been experiencing minor hot flashes on and off for several months along with my regular monthly visits. I was in partial denial, though, and always found something to blame the hot flashes on--the hot outdoor weather, the indoor temperature or lack of air conditioning, the hot coffee or tea I had just drank. But I knew the truth.

This past weekend, I had my first full-blown, major hot flashes. Many of them. I thought I would melt! Now I know what my mother felt like years ago when she was going through this. We used to laugh because her face would turn red, and she would start tearing off layers of clothing. Now I'm the one doing the tearing. Ugh! But do you know what? I haven't had a hot flash in the last 36 hours, although I do feel my cheeks starting to turn warm... Say it isn't so! :lol:

Donna
DLJones3423

Postby colopam » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:10 am

Welcome Donna!
I've had warmies at night but nothing (knocking on wood)I'd call a hot flash. But living down here in God's waiting room (Tampa) I've been feeling like it's a constant "power surge!!" LOL!! My store isn't well air conditioned and I roll with sweat. I was raised in CO where it's ony 8% avg. humidity so this having to wade thru the air is tough to get used to. I hear they've already had a foot of snow up in the CO Rockies and do dream of that but when it's too warm here I grab an ice pack or two from the fridge and lounge with those. Anyway (symptom 36 kicking in) babbling. Hope to be "seeing" you around the boards often, great info and great women!!

Hugs Pam
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause