Another suprized newbie Ain't this for old ladies?? Not me!

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Another suprized newbie Ain't this for old ladies?? Not me!

Postby MSQueen65 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:04 am

Hi, I'm Gina. 41 years old today, and of course the symptoms are running wild. I had only had 5 periods this year, so far. Does Black Kohosk actually work? I also have MS is it safe to take?
MSQueen65

Postby minniepauz » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:20 pm

Hi Gina....welcome to our world. :) No it's not just for "old ladies".... that's a misconception that most of us grew up with, but we have since found out that our hormones start changing sometimes in our late 30's. For example, my periods completely stopped when I was 41, so I was probably having peri-menopause symptoms at 38. I never really noticed because no one ever talked about it.

You will have to do some research and discuss everything with your doctor because we're all different and no one treatment works the same for everyone. Black cohosh works well for some women, but not for others so you will have to decide if you're able to take it. Since MS is definitely affected by hormones (my daughter-in-law had NO MS flare-ups when she was pregnant) you should talk to your neurologist about taking hormone replacement.

Here's what one woman said on a message board: "i am taking estriol, still have a cycle, although irregular and hot flashes on occasion. I am not sure if estriol helps with the increase in ms symptoms, but I feel overall more centered, and my symptoms are reduced before, during, after my alleged cycle :)

hard to dissect out whether its direct positive effect or a reduction in the increase in ms symptoms during this time. I suspects its all interrelated and just saw a small study connecting testosterone levels in women with ms. Oh, this tangled web "

Here's a brief article about a small study: http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Source ... strual.asp

I hope this info helps. We all have to become educated about our individual conditions because most doctors don't have the answers we need. One thing that will really help (with the menopause AND the MS) is to try not to get discouraged or feel like an "old lady"...... it's true that you're only as old as you feel and a positive attitude is the best medicine!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby psexypsychic » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:06 pm

Hi! I was six weeks away from 36 when I was "officially" diagnosed and have been having symptoms for two years before that. (I'll be 37 next week).

I don't take anything for mine- I suffer through. I have high blood pressure and I'm not comfortable taking anything without permission from my doctor. I go to a veteran's hospital so my appointments with my regular MD are hard to get. (I have one next week).

Anyway, welcome and yes, it isn't just for old ladies. ;)

*~my MySpace~*

diagnosed perimeno at 36 years old
psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby colopam » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:02 pm

Hello MSQueen!!

Welcome to the boards! I challenge ANYONE to try to find and "OLD" lady around this site, ain't happenin'. What a bunch of lively women we've got here!! Hope to see you around the boards!! You might try using the search feature at the top of the page to research black cohosh, I know I've seen some posts regarding it.

Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby drjudy » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:15 am

Hi Gina,

Patients of mine who have MS seem to do better with fairly high hormone levels. At 41, you are in a stage of life where most women are still cycling with a full load of estrogen. Even without the MS consideration, women your age entering perimenopause--and you're not alone in that--tend to feel better and actually enjoy better health with hormonal support.

Talk to your neurologist and your gynecologist about the options open to you. Don't take 'none' as an answer!

Best,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby snoopy » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:29 pm

welcome to the yellow bitchy road..... :D
I want to weigh what I used to weigh back when I thought I WAS FAT!
snoopy
Combustible

Postby Lori » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:59 pm

I started my peri-meno symptons when I was 42. 2 years later still having them, still having irregular periods. :roll:

Gina - black cohosh is the only thing that has worked for me. I tried a bunch of different remedies. However, I would check with your doctor since you have MS.
Lori
On Fire!

Postby cin-d-rella » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:19 am

Dear Snoopy,
That is the funniest thing..........the 'yellow bitchy road'. We really have some funny ladies on here. What a good way to end my night !!
Cin-d.
cin-d-rella
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause